+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Limitless Possibilities

Default Limitless Possibilities

This thought occurred to me when my little brother asked me what class I was going to be in Rift. I'd actually decided on Nightblade mixed with hopefully an Assassin class...but with the number of classes Rift has in the game, you could create your own class in your mind and pretty much put it together using the classes that Rift has already. Any class you could think of they'll most likely have, or have something similar. Example: I want a Spellcaster with plenty of crowd control spells and Burst damage with a few Dots. I should by level 15, be able to put together the perfect class when the game starts.

Hmm, not exactly limitless, but it's pretty high up there. With 8 sub-classes in each calling it would be interesting to make all sorts of combinations. I myself am hoping for a Psionicist as they are one of my favorite concepts.

Lol could you elaborate, please? x]

"A psionicist is a person who uses the power of the mind, or psionics to influence objects, rather than magic. Often colloquially referred to as "mind mages," they draw their powers from the their own conciseness using methods that must be replenished, or can be innate."

Advanced psychokinesis of a sort

I'm impressed with the system they've come up with - but I wouldn't say it's limitless and I also wouldn't bet on being able to dream up your ideal character and necessarily being able to play it in Rift.

I think it's good to keep expectations within reason

Eg. I haven't read anything about a crowd-control spellcaster yet. There's two we know and one of the unknowns is supposed to be more defensive in nature (i.e. buffs/heals).
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    I'm impressed with the system they've come up with - but I wouldn't say it's limitless and I also wouldn't bet on being able to dream up your ideal character and necessarily being able to play it in Rift.

Eg. I haven't read anything about a crowd-control spellcaster yet. There's two we know and one of the unknowns is supposed to be more defensive in nature (i.e. buffs/heals).
    Yeah, definitely relatively speaking of course. I know I won't be able to have my exact caster, but with 8 classes and then talent trees i'll be able to get pretty close. And by CC i mean the caster with the most amount of CC, cause they'll all have some form of it im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post

I hope there will be some sort of CC for casters... As I really like to toy with my prey before killing it...
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradosi View Post
    "A psionicist is a person who uses the power of the mind, or psionics to influence objects, rather than magic. Often colloquially referred to as "mind mages," they draw their powers from the their own conciseness using methods that must be replenished, or can be innate."

That honestly fits with sci-fi more than it does fantasy. imo

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo View Post
    It's more of a mix between the two, the term is actually derived from the Forgotten Realms lore, a D&D outline. Rift is also not really a complete fantasy game, it has a twist after all. There are extraplanar subtleties that could be worked into play, and from the recent Lore IRC chat, it seems the Air plane is controlled mainly by mind magic or psionics.

I don't really see a sci-fi connection here. It seems entirely feasible that, with all the magic in the world, some people could be exceptionally mentally strong. Enough to coerce and dominate his opponents and mess with their brains that is.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradosi View Post

Allods comes to mind.

I am looking for a really good mage class with a variety of ice, fire and those sort of spells.

Alternatively, i am looking at a ranger who can go invisible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionic...%26_Dragons%29

It originates from medieval fantasy though

A psion can be both scifi as well as fantasy. The big difference between a fireball swinging mage and a psion is that a psion might actually be possible, but fireball swinging mages without the big flamethrower aren't really that likely to exist.

A psion would be a great CC class, so I really hope we get some mental magic too, but as magic draws from the planes, i'm expecting air or water to be the CC main plane. Earth can do the rooting. But a psion from your own power alone might be viable and an option as a CC master.

Telaran

I agree Psion would be a really interesting addition.

Mind Control abilities

Mind Rupture - You crush their mind with your dominating will

Horrific Visions - Trick the enemy into seeing horrible images causing them to flee

Hallucination - Causes the enemy to see 2 of you, causing him to attack the wrong one (image has x% of casters hp)

etc etc, there are a ton of fun possibilities. Both for CC and DPS.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

Well, there are exactly 4 * (8!/3!5! + 8!/2!6! + 8!/7!1! + 1) soul combinations, in total, across all callings. This is assuming that one can have no souls, else remove the 1. Also, this assumes there will be 8 souls per calling.

If this is worked out, that means there are 372 possible combinations in the entire game, or 93 per calling.

See, ladies and gentlemen - math can be cool and useful!

Oh, and bear in mind there are probably millions of combinations when one factors in point distrubutions.

So, infinite? Well, no. Many? Definitely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast