+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gun totting "mage"

Default Gun totting "mage"

would you(the community) accept this as a class? A cloth wearing class that instead of casting per se they shoot a rifle of some sort.

maybe give them turrets as well as different type of grenades to throw instead of your typical magical attacks.

something like the "engineer" of Warhammer .... without all the dwarfy nonsense

WTB the above item .... mine broke

I liked the dwarfy nonsense =p.

And yea, I would definitely try it if it was like WAR's Engineer (except turrets actually did something).

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

lol yeah turrets that were actually more than just fodder would be great.

Plane Walker

Personally I dislike Guns in a fantasy setting myself, but since I assume Rift will have them based off Defiants being Technological, I don't see an issue with it.

Why not? But it'd have to be one of those giant cartoony elephant guns that make a 'BLURP' sound when firing fireballs.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Why not? But it'd have to be one of those giant cartoony elephant guns that make a 'BLURP' sound when firing fireballs.
    Blunderbuss or nothing...I dont like guns in fantasy games

As steampunk seems to be an option in this game, why don't use guns? Your description sounds more like a witchhunter to me, may have to do with your avatar picture, though. I just can't think of a consistent history and a broad base of skills to build around this. Would end up like an assassin with a pair of colts instead of knives.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

The caster from Outlaw Star comes to mind. Even if there where some things not so great about that series, the gun was cool.

It fired shells that where given magical effects.

And, I absolutely hate blunderbusses. You know if you load one and let the barrel down a little all the contents will most likely just fall out. Its just a shotgun without the shell. Pistols, rifles, gatling guns( I wish) all fit with an early technological background.
    I mean if they can build machines like that planar telescope and one that puts souls in bodies guns sound easy.
    Last edited by Osias; 07-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracarn View Post
    As steampunk seems to be an option in this game, why don't use guns? Your description sounds more like a witchhunter to me, may have to do with your avatar picture, though. I just can't think of a consistent history and a broad base of skills to build around this. Would end up like an assassin with a pair of colts instead of knives.
    Rifle - long distance single target attacks
    Grenades - medium distance attacks that have different effects - AOE CC, AOE dots, AOE direct damage
    Turrets - stationary pets that have different effects (long distance attacks, AOE attacks, heck or just detonate when someone comes near them causing damage and knockdown, AOE debuffs)

the base of this class comes from the Warhammer Engineer class.

Quote Originally Posted by Osias View Post
    The caster from Outlaw Star comes to mind. Even if there where some things not so great about that series, the gun was cool.

It fired shells that where given magical effects.
    yeah that would be cool too, have this Mage "channel" magic through his/her rifle. that would be some bad *** lore too.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

I am willing to accept almost anything reasonable as a class. To me, a lightly-armoured gun-using class is basically an archer with a gun, and since the released lore mentions technology, guns in Telara may be a possibility.

Now, I would never play one, simply because if I am not encased in plate, then I am not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
    would you(the community) accept this as a class? A cloth wearing class that instead of casting per se they shoot a rifle of some sort.
    Yes.

It's been done before.

Eg. City of Heroes has both rifle and dual-pistol wielding blasters (their equivalent of mages).

And I think it could fit with Rift's lore. In fact I'd expect gun-use to be potentially appropriate for all 4 class types on the defiant side, depending on the soul.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

I've changed my mind a bit on guns since when I joined these boards and today. I was firmly against guns because I felt they didn't really belong to a fantasy setting. However I do not think this is entirely true however I do think that the art has to fit into RIFT. Meaning if there are guns, turrents, grenades in-game it needs to match the rest of the world. Why would a ranger shoot with a wooden bow if he could shoot a rifle?

This in my oppinion also needs to be considered and if it makes sense from a Lore point of view where only a a select view have mastered the arts of rifles or maybe transfer part of their own power into a projectile weapon then I would accept it.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Meaning if there are guns, turrents, grenades in-game it needs to match the rest of the world.
    There are several MMOs that have mixed guns with fantasy.

Obviously comic book MMOs can get away with it - and they don't even have to worry about theme.

Anarchy Online did it.

Ryzom.

And let's not forget World of Warcraft - that had magic, guns, technology.

As for artwork, take a look at some of Ryzom's guns. The graphics are dated, but the quality artwork is there and show how guns can be made to fit. They have 4 different styles of guns - one for each race. The guns' designs are tailored perfectly to each race. When you see NPCs wandering around in the capitals with their respective racial weapons, they all look like they belong there.

http://ballisticmystix.net/?p=items

What we've seen so far of Telara's visuals... it's only the second time since playing Ryzom that I've been impressed by a game's artwork. So I'm not worried about the guns looking out of place.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

yeah i agree it has to fit with the lore, i would be turned off if an NPC used a minigun or rocket launcher. but things like blunderbuss, flintlock rifles/pistols and maybe some more steampunk looking guns would be a welcome addition in my mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast