+ Reply to Thread

Thread: b.s.r.m.

Soulwalker

Default b.s.r.m.

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forums, so I'll try to make it worth reading. TL;DR at bottom.

Planescape: Torment, a very fun and classic RPG. There was a certain character in Planescape: Torment named Ignus. Ignus was a mage, who liked to burn things, so much that he torched a whole section of the city. He was eventually captured, and for punishment a portal to the plane of fire was channeled into his body by all of the other magi in the city. This turned him into a human fireball and instead of dying he went to sleep, happy and warm.

Using Ignus' story as a pretense. In Rift, I would imagine that magic users will most certainly be probing and exploiting Telara's rifts in an attempt to gain knowledge and power from the planes. Now, with rifts being of an unstable nature, and magi being greedy, I'd say its safe to say there are going to be some accidents and experiments gone wrong: rifts suddenly opening and ripping magi apart, creatures from the rift eating magi , etc. Naturally many magi will perish, but I must wonder if perhaps there won't be a few, like poor Ignus, that might survive the ordeal.

The idea: A mage who has somehow managed to channel a semi-stable rift leading to a plane inside of him, say for instance to the plane of fire. Instead of summoning the fire elemental to his aid, he opens the rift, and for a short while becomes the fire elemental. Going with the soul system, Maybe he's absorbed the soul of a fire elemental. This would mean the mage could take a more physical approach to combat, instead of sitting back and flinging fireballs at the boss, they could be up in it's face, melting it.

I'd just like to see magic take on a more physical form. The idea certainly isn't original, I was a fan of the HoX in AoC

TL;DR - Meele mages. Big scary rock monster.
    Last edited by KhaaaaaanX; 07-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Seeing as this is your first post... im just going to say Welcome to the forums glad to see another has located Rift on the radar of upcoming MMOs... please stop by our introduction thread and do just that introduce yourself....
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...oduce-yourself!

in terms of what your saying about the rifts being inside a magi... i dont think it would fit in with the lore of the world being as rifts are massive and would likely result in an army pouring out of your chest... secondly rifts in this game seem to be described as inherently unstable and from the screen shots we have seen apparently are literally cracking a world apart so i have no idea how your characters meek body would react to that....

in terms of melee mages that we are still unsure about since not all the souls have been released yet so there might be one that you can use inyour own build that focuses on touch based magic you never know
    "Few are selected to to gaze into the chasm that gave us our power, most are devoured from within, yet a chosen few have the will to walk away from such discord and torment with the true knowledge of what we serve. Transformed with eyes of pure hatred, of utter disdain, bound to its will, the embodiment of a demon. And I, the greatest of its children, am here to show you true pain..." -Maerawn

Sounds like an interesting idea, and I've played Planescape before. Was one of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing through, it was a rich story.

The kind of physical mage you describe has been done successfully in several other MMOs. And with Rift's soul system.... well they've said that it will allow classes to take on non-standard roles. Eg. thieves get access to souls that let them use magic. So I think mages getting access to souls that let them melee is likely.

As Al said, I don't think rifts forming inside a player would work well, but...

Standard shapeshifting would get the job done. Or if you want something closer to what you suggested, maybe the mage can effectively swap places with an elemental for a limited time and take control of their body. Effectively it would look like and play like a shapeshift but the mage is "really" huddled on one of the elemental planes cocooned in some kind of shield.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

I suggest plane of death for this class.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Soulwalker

Death, life, earth, fire, water, air, I'd like to see unique specializations for magic users to come out of every one!

Quote Originally Posted by hanlo
    I suggest plane of death for this class.
    But yes.. The thought of a Undead/Lich class is just fun to think about. Makes you want to practice your best maniacal laugh.

+ Reply to Thread