+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: mana burn

Quote Originally Posted by CaiusM View Post
    You offered nothing constructive to this conversation. If you are some kind of math genius, then you can feel free to thrill us with your statistics. Otherwise, I respectfully ask that you keep your derisive comments to yourself.
    Quick addition to previous post, I've already spoken my mind on this topic at length in the numerous other threads regarding this. Feel free to either use forum search or just click on my name and follow the post string.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    <---Out the thread. You know not what you speak. Your opinion is NOT valid here. If you WERE having problems at level 28 where clerics are OP then there would be significant concern. At your level you click your heels together and chant while top scoring in WF's. This does not qualify you to have input on this topic. Just like all the VK's and Doms jumping in to defend thier classes and telling clerics how to play .... you just are not familiar with the mechanics.

I'm also frankly a little concerned that you believe a math genius is required to do basic arithmetic. I'm somewhat more concerned that you think math is going to prove anything to the VK's and Doms defending thier mechanic.
    Back your claims up with facts. If I have 1542 mana and ripple costs 17% of my mana, it would be 262 mana. Instead it only costs 133. I have a 5 point sentinel ability that decreases mana cost of healing spells by 10%, but I still don't see how the numbers are really being calculated. It isn't 17%-10%=7% because that would be 1542*.07=107 mana. It isn't 1542 * .17 * .90 = 236 mana. Obviously something is wrong somewhere.

Please educate us if you are capable. Again, the only thing you have accomplished is attempting to insult me. You have offered ZERO in terms of your own facts.
    Last edited by CaiusM; 03-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Telaran

Quick addition to previous post, I've already spoken my mind on this topic at length in the numerous other threads regarding this. Feel free to either use forum search or just click on my name and follow the post string.
    I did just that. In your 91 posts, I see absolutely nothing that speaks to mana efficiency or has statistics of any kind. Were you posting under another name?

Telaran

Addendum to my previous post. I can find no evidence of any meaningful contributions to the cleric community by CericX. In fact, I found a post in which he stated "damned if I'll be healing a warfront on my cleric". So, my vote is to kick you out of this thread.

Back your claims up with facts. If I have 1542 mana and ripple costs 17% of my mana, it would be 262 mana. Instead it only costs 133. I have a 5 point sentinel ability that decreases mana cost of healing spells by 10%, but I still don't see how the numbers are really being calculated. It isn't 17%-10%=7% because that would be 1542*.07=107 mana. It isn't 1542 * .17 * .90 = 236 mana. Obviously something is wrong somewhere.

Please educate us if you are capable. Again, the only thing you have accomplished is attempting to insult me. You have offered ZERO in terms of your own facts.
    Not my job to educate you. Evidently several people tried before and failed, I'm stubborn enough I'll try to give you an idea though.

To be explict, whichever modifiers you are using in your build to effect the specific cost of YOUR cast do not apply to others in the same way. The factors that will modify this are varied but include the level of spell you have trained, your current level, your gear as well as what buffs you have on and what other souls you have synergy from.

The BASIC information as available to the community that you can test in your own time at each level of the skills involved are that ripple will use 17% of your base mana. Tidal surge will use 4% of your mana. Which means that when your mana bar grows larger...the amount of mana used to cast the spell will grow as well. This scales upwards as your stats and gear change with your level.

The net effect and the reason WHY exact numbers are not given but instead general numbers with links to build sites is that those numbers are not static.

Your inablity to use the search function... not much I can do to help you there. That I feel stronly enough about the topic to NOT heal a pug warfront has bearing on? Indicates what? Excercise for the student.

Finally, I'd not insulted you previously but instead explained that YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Ignorance can be excused when it's something you have no control over once its pointed out and you continue to display your ignorance it is no longer as tolerable.

**Isn't that interesting...150 posts on my avatar thingy...91 posts that were read...NEAT**

Final edit in favor of not double posting **Again** The reason this is important is that....the point of the thread is mana drain...managing resources has little bearing when you have none of that resource. Burning a quarter of your mana reserves in 6 seconds accompishes the same thing for the opponents...without them having done anything. Pointlessly dotting up a bunch of people that don't need healing...accomplished what?
    Last edited by CericX; 03-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Telaran

The BASIC information as available to the community that you can test in your own time at each level of the skills involved are that ripple will use 17% of your base mana. Tidal surge will use 4% of your mana. Which means that when your mana bar grows larger...the amount of mana used to cast the spell will grow as well. This scales upwards as your stats and gear change with your level.
    The calculations aren't even CLOSE to 17% though. You did not to explain how the percentage could be so dramatically off.

Your inablity to use the search function... not much I can do to help you there. That I feel stronly enough about the topic to NOT heal a pug warfront has bearing on? Indicates what? Excercise for the student.

**Isn't that interesting...150 posts on my avatar thingy...91 posts that were read...NEAT**
    I did exactly what you said, clicked your name and then clicked "Find all posts" link. Search results came back with "Results 1 to 20 of 91".

The simple truth is that you aren't a very nice person.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    I have to admit I have done this before actually back in last days of beta. I was testing out a build that went pretty far into dominator and pyro. I was minding my own business on a PvE server when this flagged guardian cleric runs up and starts jumping all around me. Cleric was lower level as well so I just kept doing my thing. Well the cleric started to tag the mobs I was killing for a quest so I couldn't get credit then running around me jumping all over the place. So I finally said fine...you want to play...lets play.

I flag on the cleric and then instant cast squirrel. Improved squirrel did not break on dmg so I used mana wench and sucked the cleric dry. Broke the squirrel and see she popped a mana pot...fairly big one at that because she recovered almost half her mana. Squirrel again and mana wench to suck her dry again. Then started casting cinder burst, followed by deaths edict (stun), then a fireball and a quick flame bolt which proced wildfire. About this time the cleric was hurting with no mana and tried to run towards a cliff to either suicide or try to get away. Lucky for me unbreakable bonds is instant cast and I rooted her right on the edge of the cliff face and was able to get off 3 flame bolts back to back due to wildfire and finish her off with an inferno.

Now as proof not all guardians are stupid...the cleric was smart enough to not come back for revenge or to mess with me again. Did hear she was down the road a bit so thought I would go pay her a visit but as soon as I showed up she mounted up and rode for a guardian camp
    Yes, that's pretty much what doms do, instant squirrel and perma mana drain, "sighs". I see a Dom or VK when I'm pugging WFs, I just straight up leave, why should I have to leave a WF to enjoy the game?
    Last edited by Empathetic; 03-09-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Killing people with logic since 1997 UO (The first true 3D MMO that wasn't WOW.).

Shadowlander

I can't speak for VK mana drains but as a mage I can admit that mana wrench needs some work.
    -Mana wrench needs to do noticeable damage so that I can't drain a healers entire mana pool while they are a squirrel.
    -Slightly reduce the amount drained from 6% of the mages mana to 5%.
    -Increase the amount of warrior/rogue energy drained.
    -Make it so LoS or range actually breaks the beam.

The calculations aren't even CLOSE to 17% though. You did not to explain how the percentage could be so dramatically off.

I did exactly what you said, clicked your name and then clicked "Find all posts" link. Search results came back with "Results 1 to 20 of 91".

The simple truth is that you aren't a very nice person.
    I'm OK with not being a nice person in your opinion. Dunno the deal with the "Find all posts" not working for you, might be stuff lost in Beta forums, can't really say. For that aspect my bad. You can find more concrete posts in the other threads on this same topic though.

As for why the 17% base and 4% base aren't calculating the same for you, level 50 with max levels will probably correct that for you. Initially when you posted the response was assuming you were level 50 or 40+ at least and dealing with the same or similiar foundation as the rest of the topic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5