+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2h Melee dps clss?

Default 2h Melee dps clss?

Just kind of curious what people thought of a 2h Melee dps Class. The Staff thread I just read sparked it and I was thinking, you do not see many 2h sword wielding Melee dps classes in many MMO's. I kind of think it would be unique to see one in this game.

Thoughts/discussion?

Edit: I can see I have poorly worded the above based on initial responses. Let me clarify a little more in bullet format.

* Melee dps Class (Pure Melee NOT a tank) Medium Armor or below, not heavy. In this game specific to the Rogue line of classes.
    * Basically a class solely designed around 2h fighting.
    * I retract the word unique, was a poor choice as mmo's do have melee that can wield 2h.
    Last edited by Xaices; 06-29-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Xaices | VoS | Wolfsbane

A berserker would be ideal to wield 2hand weapon. There are a few others, but I'm not sure how restrictions work and giving rogues the option to backstab with a 2 handed sword isn't the brightest idea, unless they fixed weapon speed.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/warrior/champion.php

Strengths

A Champion's legendary strength allows him or her to move with startling speed, closing with opponents to wreak destruction with their two-handed weapons.
    Weaknesses

Quick to answer the call to arms, Champions often rush into battle with reckless abandon, and can find themselves vulnerable to sneak attacks and well-organized assaults from multiple adversaries.
    Just because the Champion is in the warrior calling doesn't mean it will be pure tanking, especially not from the description.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xaices View Post
    Just kind of curious what people thought of a 2h Melee dps Class. The Staff thread I just read sparked it and I was thinking, you do not see many 2h sword wielding Melee dps classes in many MMO's. I kind of think it would be unique to see one in this game.

Thoughts/discussion?
    It really depends on what one means by "melee DPS class". Virtually every game has tanks that, when in DPS mode, use a two-handed weapon of some sort, often a sword.

However, does a tank count as melee DPS, or must melee DPS be something like a Rogue, a chart-topper? If that is the only definition, then no, there are not many melee DPS classes that use two-handed swords.

I think the issue is that melee DPS classes are typically created as being faster and more graceful than tanks, and a two-handed weapon does not fit the bill. As for whether Rift will see a main melee DPS class using two-handed weapons remains to be seen.

a 2h tank , parry the hell out of bosses

Thoughts/discussion?
    I do not know what is to be discussed, any warrior arch that isnt tanking will most likely be 2h dps.

Thoughts/discussion?
    There is quite a few MMO's that use a 2h DPS melee class Aion had a 2h dps class that used a sword.

We all ready have a 2h melee dps class in the game so it will not be unique since like i said above there are a fair number of MMO's with a 2h melee dps class.

Check ff11 Warrior/Dark knight/Dragoon/Samurai all used 2h weapons 2 sword type's the katana to ******* swords.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

In EQ rangers had 2 handed skills, monks have 2 handed skills in most games, berserkers have 2 handed skill, beastlords have 2 handed. The tanks usually have 2 handed, it's mostly rogues who won't go there as 2 handed weapons would give them a big advantage, especially if there is no weapon speed system. If the auto attack is not important enough or if you have to plan attacks between auto attacks, slower weapons with higher dmg ranges usually proof to be better options. If faster weapons have faster refreshes for special attacks, I can see people wanting to use fast weapons like daggers. crit bonus usually doesn't add anything to a rogue.

But you can label some attacks as piercing, or 1 handed piercing required or 1 handers required to use. That way some classes in the rogue calling might use 2 handers, while others are forced into the 1 handed scene. I can see rangers who don't have rogueish backstabbing stuff using a 2 hander.

But it's not as uncommon as a lot of people think, 2 handers are great for dps, a bit less for stats, but great for dps. I want a zerker with 2 2handers .

Soulwalker

Tank with a 2H weapon, yes. Not that someone should automaticlly think that they somehow turned thier Tanking archetype character into a leet/lean mean killing machine. who deals out death left and right.
    Just for the pure fun of it, since killing stuff with a sword and shield can take forever in some cases (Levelling purposes.)

But a Melee DPS character with a 2H weapon, no. I dont think it would work, example, 2 handed weapon 5 secs swingtime, kinda defeat the purpose of a DPS class, unless its damage over time kinda class, which proberly would be the Tank.

Milita.

Rift Team

A good portion of our DPS warriors will be primarily focused on 2HD weapon use. In fact the Champion (Which has already been announced) is mostly 2HD weapon based. Now that being said we donít do this by discretely locking ability use if you donít have 2HD weapons equipped. Instead we deal with it on the more systematic level with the benefits that a 2HD weapon brings for offense over say a sword + shield. Not to mention we do have a number of passive traits in the soul trees that improve your 2HD and offense based abilities as well.

If you want to be strong defensive warrior youíre going to go Sword + Shield, if you want to be big time offense youíll go 2HD, and if you want to be a bit more flexible of a mix youíll probably go with DW. As we reveal more souls weíll go into the differences in more detail, but suffice to say we are taking this into consideration.

-Gersh

Quote Originally Posted by Gersh_Trion View Post
    A good portion of our DPS warriors will be primarily focused on 2HD weapon use. In fact the Champion (Which has already been announced) is mostly 2HD weapon based. Now that being said we donít do this by discretely locking ability use if you donít have 2HD weapons equipped. Instead we deal with it on the more systematic level with the benefits that a 2HD weapon brings for offense over say a sword + shield. Not to mention we do have a number of passive traits in the soul trees that improve your 2HD and offense based abilities as well.

If you want to be strong defensive warrior youíre going to go Sword + Shield, if you want to be big time offense youíll go 2HD, and if you want to be a bit more flexible of a mix youíll probably go with DW. As we reveal more souls weíll go into the differences in more detail, but suffice to say we are taking this into consideration.

-Gersh
    LOL you're a regular fountain of information today. Should be interesting to see how many Warriors end up as Dps over tanking. Now if I can have a Reaver who DWs whips ala Underworld I will be one happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gersh_Trion View Post
    A good portion of our DPS warriors will be primarily focused on 2HD weapon use. In fact the Champion (Which has already been announced) is mostly 2HD weapon based. Now that being said we don’t do this by discretely locking ability use if you don’t have 2HD weapons equipped. Instead we deal with it on the more systematic level with the benefits that a 2HD weapon brings for offense over say a sword + shield. Not to mention we do have a number of passive traits in the soul trees that improve your 2HD and offense based abilities as well.

If you want to be strong defensive warrior you’re going to go Sword + Shield, if you want to be big time offense you’ll go 2HD, and if you want to be a bit more flexible of a mix you’ll probably go with DW. As we reveal more souls we’ll go into the differences in more detail, but suffice to say we are taking this into consideration.

-Gersh
    hmmm, lots of information from gersh today one of my least favorite posts by him though.... sounds like theres going to be the typica physicall tank DWing content 95% of the time and only switching to a shield for the most difficult content. sounds like caster tank is going to be the way to go; because of the majority of their damage coming from spells, DWing wouldnt make sense for them, which means they would tank all content with a shield and have better defensive stats then non-caster tanks for at least 95% of the time, and probably comparable defensive stats the other 5%...
    Last edited by Atavax; 06-29-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    the beatings will continue until morale improves

Quote Originally Posted by Atavax View Post
    hmmm, lots of information from gersh today one of my least favorite posts by him though.... sounds like theres going to be the typical tank DWing content 95% of the time and only switching to a shield for the most difficult content.

Can't say i've ever had a tank DW tank through a dungeon unless it was a DK.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

But why wouldn't a dps class be able to use a 2 hander as a dps weapon? Yes, it takes more time to swing, but every swing does deal more dmg.

Certain dps fighting styles require 2 handed weapons. A monk for example uses 2 handed staves to attack, or 2 tonfa. A berserker would be more a dps 2 handed weapon.

If the tanks can go for 2 handed dps mode, it might not be smart to add the berserker soul to the rogue calling. It depends on a few things, but especially spears are fast 2 handers for 2 handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    But why wouldn't a dps class be able to use a 2 hander as a dps weapon? Yes, it takes more time to swing, but every swing does deal more dmg.

Certain dps fighting styles require 2 handed weapons. A monk for example uses 2 handed staves to attack, or 2 tonfa. A berserker would be more a dps 2 handed weapon.

If the tanks can go for 2 handed dps mode, it might not be smart to add the berserker soul to the rogue calling. It depends on a few things, but especially spears are fast 2 handers for 2 handers.

typically DWing scales better with better gear. lets say there is a 1her, and its designed to give someone who only uses a single 1her, 50 extra dps. and then a 2her would be designed to give someone who only uses a singler 2her, 50 extra dps. and then someone who uses 2 1her's will get 100 extra dps. they typically limit this effect by making you lose accuracy when dwing, but the later on in the game, the smaller the handicap becomes compared to the stats users have on their gear.
    Last edited by Atavax; 06-29-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    the beatings will continue until morale improves

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast