+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Flamespear and RiftSurge = Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    You can't counter Rift Surge that will actually net a 1.5k non crit damage in several seconds depending on your spam...yet in the same "casting time" an INSTANT non crit 1.1k damage from Rift Strike + Earth Burst that you cannot avoid in any possible manner is far better situation?....When you shake your head...does it make noises?
    This whole thread is comical considering I get three shotted by Champs all the time at level 50. Riftsurge netting a 1.5k damage? I get crit by Champs for 2.5k because they stack Paragon's Shifting Blades with Titan Strike.

BUT that's the way it is. It's my fault for letting a Champ get within melee range of me. So I expect to get 3 shotted. I'm one of the few who thinks classes are balanced. All you QQ come on here whining about a 1.5k attack? Give me a break. Wait until everyone gets real gear (Prestige Ranks). Wait until resist gear come into fold. You're all glued to the leveling aspect of the game. I'm focused on endgame and we have yet to fully experience that.

Ascendant

I am amazed at how many bad mages play this game. A well played and properly spec'd mage is much more powerful in pvp and warfronts then a rift blade warrior. The problem is 90% of the mage class uses the wrong spec and abilities and then cries for nerfs because they suck.

Hate to break it to you cry babies but the warrior class is fine and needs a buff in some areas. You guys need to equate RANGE in your equation of overpowered vs. underpowered. Also, go take some online course on how to pvp and not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    I am amazed at how many bad mages play this game. A well played and properly spec'd mage is much more powerful in pvp and warfronts then a rift blade warrior. The problem is 90% of the mage class uses the wrong spec and abilities and then cries for nerfs because they suck.

Hate to break it to you cry babies but the warrior class is fine and needs a buff in some areas. You guys need to equate RANGE in your equation of overpowered vs. underpowered. Also, go take some online course on how to pvp and not suck.
    I notice there are two types of Mage players out there. One who will let me get within 20m of them so that I can nuke them down in 5 seconds. Then there's the type of Mage, and very rare, that will stun lock me within 30m of them. And then I die in 5 seconds from their nukes.

You are right in that many players are playing the Mage class incorrectly. The Mages who own me I have much respect for. They are doing it right. They won't let me get within distance of them and they utilize their root/stuns.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ComaXO View Post
    wah... I can't 1v1 in a team pvp game where in a team fight I can do 200k damage while a RB might get 100k ... wah wah wah ****

You silence, and you can cleanse the stupid rift surge... How bout this send me your log in info... I'll go beat a Rift Blade on your account screen shot it then you can unsubscribe for being a flopping pile of tears.
    lol and this guy is calling people bad throughout the thread.. as a Cleric it isn't dispel/cleanse-able, and I doubt it is any different for any other calling. I'm not going to cry nerf over anything until players get gear, and we see how everything scales, but 1-49 rift surge is ridiculous, 50 that is yet to seen. the PVP soul helps a lot versus RB especially the Cleric one, but depending on how everything scales we'll see.

Champion of Telara

rift surge does not even do that much damage at level 50. you can kill greedy rogues who are spamming their gcd with it, that's about it. and rogues have some of the best tools to mitigate it in a 1v1 situation.

when i was dueling at level 20, i was facerolling people with it. but i tried again with a riftblade spec at 50 against my cleric friend, he had no problems healing through my damage while putting out enough dps to eventually down me.

i had to switch to champ/vk to kill him. then he switched to his justicar.... and so it went for a couple of hours....

god rift is fun...
    Last edited by pickled_heretic; 03-09-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sorovos View Post
    Really? Ok then, as a Mage how would you deal with a Rifeblade?

Go ahead, we're all waiting ...

*grin*
    A good Justicar can deal with a riftblade quite easily.

Telaran

And a deep necro/chloro can as well.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sorovos View Post
    Really? Ok then, as a Mage how would you deal with a Rifeblade?

Go ahead, we're all waiting ...

*grin*
    Necro/Warlock/Chloro....you figure out the rest.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    Necro/Warlock/Chloro....you figure out the rest.
    I prefer Necro/Chloro/Arch Mage, but the point is the same. (5 points in arch mage gets you -15% chance to be crit, which is huge.)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind View Post
    I notice there are two types of Mage players out there. One who will let me get within 20m of them so that I can nuke them down in 5 seconds. Then there's the type of Mage, and very rare, that will stun lock me within 30m of them. And then I die in 5 seconds from their nukes.

You are right in that many players are playing the Mage class incorrectly. The Mages who own me I have much respect for. They are doing it right. They won't let me get within distance of them and they utilize their root/stuns.
    I think this has a lot to do with some other big games having mage classes that can bunnyhop in circles in the enemy zerg spamming 1 insta AE + "/s LOL!" macro. That's just what many people are used to nowadays while playing a caster.
    The people who will position, pre-kite, cc and whatnot are mostly those who have played casters in games like DAoC (old days, before expansion crap ruined it) and similar.

When a melee got to you, you were shut down and probably killed in a few sec if your teammates didn't help. In a wonderous otherwordly way, that was actually balanced and fun. Good casters were powerhouses, bad ones spamming "rez me!" in chat.

Healers could be nicely annoyed and shut down too, which added a lot of tactics to fights. You couldn't just stand there with 2 enemies unloading on you spamming heals on yourself.
    It also meant healers could keep others alive very well and be very powerful in a group setting, without being unkillable themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Naelee View Post
    I think this has a lot to do with some other big games having mage classes that can bunnyhop in circles in the enemy zerg spamming 1 insta AE + "/s LOL!" macro. That's just what many people are used to nowadays while playing a caster.
    The people who will position, pre-kite, cc and whatnot are mostly those who have played casters in games like DAoC (old days, before expansion crap ruined it) and similar.

When a melee got to you, you were shut down and probably killed in a few sec if your teammates didn't help. In a wonderous otherwordly way, that was actually balanced and fun. Good casters were powerhouses, bad ones spamming "rez me!" in chat.

Healers could be nicely annoyed and shut down too, which added a lot of tactics to fights. You couldn't just stand there with 2 enemies unloading on you spamming heals on yourself.
    It also meant healers could keep others alive very well and be very powerful in a group setting, without being unkillable themselves.
    Exactly. Reversing the thought process. As a Riftblade I rather fight from range. If a Champ is within melee range of me then two things go through my mind:

1. It's my fault I let the Champ get within melee range of me. I need to figure out a way to create some distance.
    2. If I don't figure out a way to create some distance in the next 2 seconds I am about to get 3 shotted by this Champ.

Shadowlander

It's clear to me that the bad mages expectation is to easily nuke down any warrior in 3-4 hits before they even get to lay a weapon on them. It must really suck to actually have to use some tactics other than nuke, nuke, nuke, warrior dead.

If a melee gets to you and you don't have heals or a dedicated tank guarding or peeling off you then YOU should go down and FAST. If a riftblade is on you then you better have a silence or other cc in your spec and if you don't that is your own fault.

I'm tired of people trying to balance 1 v 1 in team oriented games. It's impossible. Some builds stack up better against other builds and are weak against others.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker_ View Post
    It's clear to me that the bad mages expectation is to easily nuke down any warrior in 3-4 hits before they even get to lay a weapon on them. It must really suck to actually have to use some tactics other than nuke, nuke, nuke, warrior dead.

If a melee gets to you and you don't have heals or a dedicated tank guarding or peeling off you then YOU should go down and FAST. If a riftblade is on you then you better have a silence or other cc in your spec and if you don't that is your own fault.

I'm tired of people trying to balance 1 v 1 in team oriented games. It's impossible. Some builds stack up better against other builds and are weak against others.
    So if a warrior is on a mage and you dont have someone to peel it off or heal the mage, the mage should die fast, but if that same mage can freecast on a warrior its ok to do practically no damage at all.

The reality is quite simple. Heavily armored warriors can storm down a wizard and the mage dies, and that same wizard has no chance in hell to burst the warrior down and has to resort to all sorts of CCs just to stop that one warrior and might actually get him down to 90% hp before his friends show up

Quote Originally Posted by Darqion View Post
    So if a warrior is on a mage and you dont have someone to peel it off or heal the mage, the mage should die fast, but if that same mage can freecast on a warrior its ok to do practically no damage at all.

The reality is quite simple. Heavily armored warriors can storm down a wizard and the mage dies, and that same wizard has no chance in hell to burst the warrior down and has to resort to all sorts of CCs just to stop that one warrior and might actually get him down to 90% hp before his friends show up
    If you as a mage cannot get a RB lower than 90% HP before he kills you, then you should not be pvp-ing in that spec. Or gear. Or at all.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrob View Post
    Agreed, at level 16, even in the low 20s that's all it takes, play it till the 30s and 40s, it's a whole different thing, just like some classes develop late, RB develops early and then fades. Most of the complaints are from players below lvl30. I have RB as my secondary soul, and yes I use Rift Surge but for a tactical stand point, not as a main killing spell as it barely does anything against 30-40 lvl mobs and players, it helps me keep casters in check while I focus on a more important target.

When you fight enemies with 3-4k hp, a spell that does 191dmg per attempted spell or ability is laughable. But enough to slow the buttom smashers as they get scared of dieing. Now as I explained earlier, if the enemy has no or minimal resists, then the Surge will hit hard and even crit, now that's on the target's fault for not being prepared for PvP, it's like a 2h warrior complaining of getting hit with too many arrows, that's a hint to find a shield.

This is the 2nd game I've found that resists is equal or more important than regular stats, getting 10k hp will be meaningless if you have no resists and get lit up every time.

You must not know what a trainer is. My friend and I were playing around with Rift Surge on my 42 warrior on level 42 mobs. I dropped a Rift Surge on a full HP mob(not one of the mobs that has half or so HPs) and we just watch the mob almost kill itself if RS doesn't crit at all. One crit and the mob dies from it alone. I have leveled Rift for most of my levels as I think Rift is OP and needs to be nerfed. Rift Surge does WAY too much damage. It needs to be dispelable and a longer CD plus a damage nerf. The people in this thread are right, you charge up to 3 attack points and then go into battle.

Flame spear does too much damage as well. A warrior should use it when getting kited or to spam while running up onto a target. I personally use a sword and shield and spam Flame Spear, Rift Surge, and Flame Burst. I kite melee using Stone Spear to root for 5 seconds if they get too close, Wind Spear on casters to silence for 5 seconds.. both on a 15 second CD. Right now my Rift Blade is speccing into Champ for a 50% healing reduce too, it is going to be too easy..

My warrior has 50% damage reduce from armor alone (I always wear a shield) with my imp Water buff adds another 10%. I have a 60% damage reduce from melee. Don't go off with "plate doesn't block magic" either. Almost no classes have a magic resist, let alone it being strong enough to mitigate 50%-60% damage.

Rift Blades need a nerf.. coming from 42 level Rift Blade. The people trying to defend may be right saying that Rift Blades don't scale well. This isn't a proper defense for them. Rift Blades need to have their damage reduced but their damage modifiers changed to scale better with gear than how they are now.

P.S. Buff mages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast