+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sabs, riftblades and champions will not be nerfed anytime soon.

Shadowlander

Smile Sabs, riftblades and champions will not be nerfed anytime soon.

Games nowadays are all designed with intentionally implemented overpowered and easy to play mechanics or in rifts case classes or souls.
    This isn't just an MMO thing either it's an incredibly widespread tactic used in every mainstream multiplayer game from Terran in SC2 to Sentinel in MVC3 and the Grenade launcher in Call of duty.
    Developers put these in games in order to let bad players feel competitive so they don't instantly get scared away from the game and decide to play something else.

It wasn't by chance that rogues and warriors are overpowered, it's a known fact that terrible players love things like dual wielding, using a bow, stealth and pets. The rift developers knew that bad players where going to gravitate towards the warrior and rogue callings and they in turn had to make sure that they where overpowered in order to keep as many people happy as possible.

Now if you decided roll a different class don't freak out just yet. This design method when properly implemented involves the previously mentioned mechanics becoming almost nonviable or at least significantly weaker in high tiers of play. This leaves you with 3 options either quit the game, reroll because you need the crutch or tough it out and get good.

PS: It's hard for people to really notice how powerful they are in mmo pvp because of how much more demoralizing a death is compared to a killing blow. Lets say a death is worth 5 points of sad and a killing blow is worth 2 points of happy(There are other ways of generating happy this is just the math on KBs vs deaths) it isn't until you have a 3:1 KD ratio that you start feeling badass so it ends up taking a while for the people playing these specs to realize they have it easy.

PPS: Mages are undertuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaylure View Post
    Terran in SC2
    marines

the counter to banelings
    Mercy/Celerity/Leviticus ~ Brocliff

Riftblades are a powerful 1v1 class but since when is pvp based or balanced around 1v1?
    Last edited by Alexander26; 03-06-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander26 View Post
    Riftblades are a powerful 1v1 class but since when is pvp based or balanced around 1v1?
    No riftblades are an amazing class in group pvp. See the PS section of the OP on why you think you aren't amazing in BGs.

Champion

I honestly haven't had too much trouble with Riftblades on live, though I went from playing a mage in beta to a cleric on live, so that's part of it. Champions are scary SOBs though, and Sabos, while often ineffective, just occasionally global me.

Sabos are probably the easiest to fix, I'm not sure that Riftblades really need to be fixed (probably mages in general just need to have a little scarier damage), and if they ever "fix" champions the amount of QQ will be deafening because they probably need 2-3 nerfs to truly be balanced.
    Last edited by Mystal; 03-06-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mystal View Post
    I honestly haven't had too much trouble with Riftblades on live, though I went from playing a mage in beta to a cleric on live, so that's part of it. Champions are scary SOBs though, and Sabos, while often ineffective, just occasionally global me.

Sabos are probably the easiest to fix, I'm not sure that Riftblades really need to be fixed (probably mages in general just need to have a little scarier damage), and if they ever "fix" champions the amount of QQ will be deafening because they probably need 2-3 nerfs to truly be balanced.
    The whole point of this post was to basically say that sabs and riftblades aren't really overpowered, they're just incredibly easy to play and scrub friendly. I probably shouldn't have lumped champions in with them considering champions are indeed incredibly broken unkitable stunlocking burst machines that need to be toned down.

Champion

When you show me a mage or cleric class capable of burning virtually any other character down in <5 seconds I'll agree with you that RB, Champ, etc. aren't overpowered.

Every class has it's counter. People who say nothing counters Sab are wrong. Melee rogues counter Sab, especially Assassins due to stun/snares and Riftstalker teleports. Sabs are my primary target in wf's and they die really fast.
    Last edited by alucardr; 03-06-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Understanding the Sab
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...b-is-wild-card

50 Assassin/Riftstalker/Infiltrator
    Prestige 3

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Flarestar View Post
    When you show me a mage or cleric class capable of burning virtually any other character down in <5 seconds I'll agree with you that RB, Champ, etc. aren't overpowered.
    LOL @ an RB burning down a character in 3 GCDs!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Flarestar View Post
    Riftblade damage abilities are currently overtuned because they don't scale with gear i'm 95% sure that when trion implements gear scaling for RBs that their damage will become more reasonable.

Sabs are like sentinel from MVC3 they're incredibly powerful but because they're so common and annoying people are going to be forced to find ways to deal with them. When MVC3 launched everyone was like "OMGWTF CAPCOM SENT HAS THE BEST ZONING MOST HEALTH AND RIDICULOUS CHIP DAMAGE **** THIS GAME" But then community buckled down and figured out how to deal with him, He's still a solid character and incredibly common because of how easy he is to play but Justin Wong is wining tournaments without him. Eventually sabs are going to completely ineffective against good players wearing pvp gear and are going to be a pure scrub spec that lets bads stomp other bads.

And champs are just straight up broken.

Soulwalker

I've noticed this a bit more than other folks, I'd say. As a squishy pyro to be out-DPS'd at range by a warrior is a sad affair. Worse yet they instant cast so they run around in circles out-DPSing me. Even when it comes to champs I can use my stuns and snares and flicker away, but I can only get them down to about 1/3 (if things go really well) before they catch me and two shot me (literally with Titan Strike and a finisher).

The biggest gripe is that a War/Rogue energy pools regen to the point where they will never bottom out (especially rogues), they're mostly instant cast so they retain their mobility, and they have numerous stuns and interrupts to boot. A mage with a limited pool and sacrificing their mobility should be hitting like a freight train, which just isn't the case.

The top slots for damage in the 30's bracket have almost entirely been Warriors; the top healing typically a Bard.

Fix clerics and we will deal with Sabos. ;P Right now Cleanse removes only 1 charge and cost a lot = mana issue. I don't really have something against Sabos but there is no counter for them.

No riftblades are an amazing class in group pvp. See the PS section of the OP on why you think you aren't amazing in BGs.
    I never said we werent.

But not OP.
    Last edited by Alexander26; 03-06-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander26 View Post
    I never said we werent.

But not OP.
    Not OP just incredibly scrub friendly because they're easy to play well.

Champion

...it's a known fact that terrible players love things like dual wielding, using a bow, stealth and pets.
    "Fact" eh?

I'd love to know where you went to school. Because your definition of the word fact and the definition the rest of reality uses are two completely different things.

Not to mention you just described most class/soul combo's in this game. Cleric's and mages included. A+

Last edited by XFracture; 03-06-2011 at 09:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast