+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The lost art of Staff Combat.

Default The lost art of Staff Combat.

Is there any chance we might see a class with some true staff fighting skills? Not magical skills or just holding a staff for it's magical properties. Think Little John from the Robin Hood stories, or the Friar from DAOC. I think there is something truly great about a character willing to stand against the mightiest of weapons and armor with nothing more than a quarter staff and his sheer skill at using it to it's fullest potential.

Please tell me I am not alone. Anyone else here want to see this fighting style represented in some form or another?

I agree. If there is a monk class then it would work perfectly for them.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

One of my favorite things back in DnD days was rolling up a fighter specializing in the staff I've always liked the staff as a weapon.

Soulwalker

Totally agree. I always play a monk class if there is one available (loved the friar too), and although bare fists are always my first choice, a quarterstaff is a close second. It would be very disappointing if we only had the usual fantasy weapons. *goes off to play some Kilik in soul calibur*

EQ2 had monks who fought with staffs, and they had some rather nice animations which went along with it - actually anyone who used a staff had particular attacks and even a duck-dodge which looked pretty cool. So it has been done, and could still be done eventually.

See, I am concerned about the gear and stat itemization. I remember back with AoC you could not figure out what was worth what because it all more or less sucked.

I am also used to monks obtaining staff weapons in other games and eventually unlocking blade staffs and such. But in TRION's case I would also expect some sort of upclose caster hybrid which uses its staff as a melee weapon also. (pure speculation).

One thing though I want to bring up and I do not think warrents a seperate topic is that I really hope that weapons such as staffs (2 handed) will be balanced properly in most games I have played two handed weapons where always weaker than two fist weapons or two swords because of the base stats and the two hander not having any bonusses.

As a result the weapons such as staffs and spears where in game but hardly ever used because there would always be better weapon types around.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Diablo 3 MONK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

DDO has the Thief Acrobat prestige for Rogues. It actually provides bonuses for the character if it fights with a quartertsaff. It wasn't the optimal setup because it wasn't a class that used the weapon of the week, but it was completely viable in combat. Just thought I'd throw that out there. But it's all really going to depend on how they deal with weapon types in the game.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

Sword of Telara

Vanguard had several classes who made use of staves. My favourite was the Disciple (melee healer) who used a blade staff.

In LotRO, you've got the Loremasters (pet using/CC/DPS caster) who use staves at lower levels but at higher levels can use an ability that lets them dual wield sword and staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post

One thing though I want to bring up and I do not think warrents a seperate topic is that I really hope that weapons such as staffs (2 handed) will be balanced properly in most games I have played two handed weapons where always weaker than two fist weapons or two swords because of the base stats and the two hander not having any bonusses.

As a result the weapons such as staffs and spears where in game but hardly ever used because there would always be better weapon types around.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

It does make a little sense, the staff is a more defensive weapon vs. offensive.

Loved the the DAoC Friar, and now also the Mauler with staff, also many games with the monk class. Staff wielding is very unique especially if there are some really good animations behind it.
    Xaices | VoS | Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Massabik View Post
    It does make a little sense, the staff is a more defensive weapon vs. offensive.
    What you say would actually make sense if the staffs / spears and other two handed weapons would have anything remotely resembling usefullness for a defensive weapon. I am fine with them having defensive stats but there is no point having them in-game if they will have the same amount of stats of a one hander.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I meant in reality, I agree they need comparable stats to 2 one handers in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Massabik View Post
    I meant in reality, I agree they need comparable stats to 2 one handers in game.
    I apoligize then we are indeed on the same page, as someone mentioned earlier a staff like forexample little jon would lean much more to a defensive (parry) type of weapon and a pure offensive weapon like for example a dagger.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast