+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I reroll? Mage seems underpowered in PvP

Soulwalker

Default Should I reroll? Mage seems underpowered in PvP

I've got a 28 mage. First role is SC/Elemental/Choloro, and second is Dominator/WL.

Ive tried every mage setup I can think of and those are the only roles that feel bareable in PvP. Ive been playing MMOs constantly for about 11 years so i generally know how to play my class effectively. But it seems that in all warfronts I just get ***** in PvP. Rangers can just kite me around because they dont have cast timers and do a ton of damage, Warriors just rip through me like butter, my snares and roots only last so long and break on damage, and my slows have a long cast timer.

My damage in PvE is fine, but PvP seems lacking. I just seem to get decimated by rogues and warriors, mages never give me any problems (go figure). I doubt im doing anything wrong in my strategy cause im generally keen when it comes to tab target PvP. For people that say mages should get better at level 50, please explain. I cant see any magical talent point or spec thats going to make this game balanced, as many mages have already tried to find decent specs and failed for the most part.

Should I reroll? I mean i hate grinding and everything, but If I get to 50 and mages and still underpowered and getting *****, im pretty sure id just cancel my sub instead of reroll another toon to 50.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by PatRobertson View Post
    I've got a 28 mage. First role is SC/Elemental/Choloro, and second is Dominator/WL.

Ive tried every mage setup I can think of and those are the only roles that feel bareable in PvP. Ive been playing MMOs constantly for about 11 years so i generally know how to play my class effectively. But it seems that in all warfronts I just get ***** in PvP. Rangers can just kite me around because they dont have cast timers and do a ton of damage, Warriors just rip through me like butter, my snares and roots only last so long and break on damage, and my slows have a long cast timer.

My damage in PvE is fine, but PvP seems lacking. I just seem to get decimated by rogues and warriors, mages never give me any problems (go figure). I doubt im doing anything wrong in my strategy cause im generally keen when it comes to tab target PvP. For people that say mages should get better at level 50, please explain. I cant see any magical talent point or spec thats going to make this game balanced, as many mages have already tried to find decent specs and failed for the most part.

Should I reroll? I mean i hate grinding and everything, but If I get to 50 and mages and still underpowered and getting *****, im pretty sure id just cancel my sub instead of reroll another toon to 50.
    So far what I have heard from mages at the higher levels (I don't play myself, but I like to hear comments from the other classes) Is you will get stronger and stronger when you open up for all of the goodies that open up at the higher levels! But If I was you I would go into the game while a lot of people is online and /who Mage 40-50 and see if your server have any (problay they have) and have at talk with them about it

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    So far what I have heard from mages at the higher levels (I don't play myself, but I like to hear comments from the other classes) Is you will get stronger and stronger when you open up for all of the goodies that open up at the higher levels! But If I was you I would go into the game while a lot of people is online and /who Mage 40-50 and see if your server have any (problay they have) and have at talk with them about it
    Ill /tell a few mages and see how its going at the higher levels. I'm just hearing negative things on the forums from them so i dunno.

I rolled a warrior to see how they are. Tbh I don't really like the mage playstyle but for all these years ive played a melee class. I wanted to mix things up, but little did I know their current state :/

Telaran

have you tried this approach?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...10-19-mage-pvp

read the whole thread and don't mind it initially says -lvl19... he updated the post when he was 24 again, and says it still is working.

Since my only souls at 14 were exactly those, I tried it... and yes, am doing really really REALLY well in th warfronts now. Mind you, I got to 18 by now, and can't speak about 29.

I actually already rerolled to rogue and no I don't play Sab ;) It just offers most difeerent play styles -> support, bit of heal, ccs, melee, ranged, tank. You can actually do what you want and don't feel gimped. Also I found melee combat being more fun and involving than standing far and casting my 2sec spells. Sure there are usefull mage builds but what if I want to level with something other than lock, necro, chloro ? Not that much use. I'm seeing mages around killing one mob while I can kill already 2 and go for next...

Hit 40 last night,
    the 30-39 bracket is the Mage bracket to be honest.

One properly specced mage and we don't lose.
    Period.

Soulwalker

I made a mage yesterday and began PVPing at lvl 12. Now 18, I feel like I dominate as SC / Elm / Dom. You get crazy AoE from Stormcaller, the Dominator's basic attack (Neural Prod) and Elemental Summoner's Lightening Strike (10 second cooldown) both benefit from the +10% crit on Air spells. By my first BG I had a +15% crit on nearly every cast and as a lvl 12 I was consistently # 3 or 4 on Damage done.

Ice Shield + Ride the Wind will get you out of nearly any sticky situation.
    Last edited by KalTheo; 03-04-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Shadowlander

Noo you shouldnt mages are freaking good and i dominate the warfronts as lock / pyro in the 30-39 bracket, almost always top dmg and got some screens when ive had like 30 - 0 in stats, and its not rare. Pyro is awesome.

Amasi Level 50 Mage
    Pyro / Lock / Archmage

Prestige Rank 3
    <Draufganger>

The only reason that ppl says "mage get better at higher lvls" is that u get more tools. As far u "finish" ur main soul and start to put more points the the other ones.

Anyway, is playable BUT ur dmg IS lower - without all of ur cooldowns u wont be able to do much, spell power don't seens to scale that much.

with all ur buffs, grounds, those 100% dmg from warfronts, with all those stuff u will, still, do less dmg.

I crited with a CB while i had ALL of my self buffs and the codex +100% sp bonus wing, crited for 748. After that got Titan Strike for 1.100 dmg

U can play it if u like tha class ... but still, mages need a lot of "love"
    No Illegals -> NO BURRITOS!! THINK TWICE BRO!

Shadowlander

I lvled to 29 with necro spec, I'm about 2/1 k/d ratio in warfrants. Last nightI swittched to dom spec for the first time since lvl 9 beta. First warfront with dom period, had the highest ratio with 7/0 k/d that game. I hate to be a forum warrior but l2p. Not hard to instacast knockback, storm shackle, other dots, other stuns, crowd control, rinse repeat, void bolts as finisher, etc. etc. It all depends on what class you're fighting as Dom have ways to shut down most of them. Granted I'm at the top of the 20-29 bracket but all the same
    Last edited by Sagius; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by RamasSokehur View Post
    The only reason that ppl says "mage get better at higher lvls" is that u get more tools. As far u "finish" ur main soul and start to put more points the the other ones.

Anyway, is playable BUT ur dmg IS lower - without all of ur cooldowns u wont be able to do much, spell power don't seens to scale that much.

with all ur buffs, grounds, those 100% dmg from warfronts, with all those stuff u will, still, do less dmg.

I crited with a CB while i had ALL of my self buffs and the codex +100% sp bonus wing, crited for 748. After that got Titan Strike for 1.100 dmg

U can play it if u like tha class ... but still, mages need a lot of "love"

I have a nagging feeling that in this game, unlike other, mages and casters will out scale melee. Look at attack power and then at spellpower, spellpower gives double the benefit (.2dps per point) of attackpower and casters often have ~2x as much spellpower as melee does attack power. The big thing that seems to be missing is early scaling for mages and for the rDps clerics but a lot of that shows up later in the trees and like you said you are getting added utility. The amount of spell power a caster gets from its weapon adds substantially more dps than a melee's weapon damage+attack power gained from that weapon.

Wait till 50, see how you feel then especially as you start getting good gear for the level before you call for mage "love".

You should give a full support build a shot in warfronts. I have a low 20s Dominator/Archon/Archmage and it is so much fun. This type of build will not be doing a lot of damage but I have been topping kills and favor almost every round from 20-23 in either of the warfronts. It is a little confusing to sort out all the various buffs, debuffs, and snares but once you get rolling you will contribute immensely to the team effort. It is a thankless role but no one else is doing it and it is so much fun to be that frustrating level 20 that all the 28 or 29 players hunt down only to get ganked by the rogue chillin with me.

As for survivability, as long as your arent jumped by multiple high levels in the bracket you should be able to get away or survive long enough for help to arrive. Just remember you wont be burning anyone down, you might be lucky to singe them a little bit and open them up to get roflstomped by someone else coming up behind you.

a proper mage at 50 is insane. tis all i'll say.

Rift Disciple

At this point mages are just to squishy and dont have enough tools to get out of sticky situations to be really viable in pvp. Not to mention you can get 3 shotted by melee classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac4 View Post
    At this point mages are just to squishy and dont have enough tools to get out of sticky situations to be really viable in pvp. Not to mention you can get 3 shotted by melee classes.
    I get 3 shotted at 50 by champions using macro's that fire all their skills that don't have a gcd so I die instantly. This is while wearing 3 pieces of prestige rank 2 gear (valor).

Don't expect it to change much.
    WAR: FLAMING RR79 BW | Stop Hammertime RR63 IB
    Aion: Flaming 50 Sorc | Yowza 50 Assassin/50 Gladiator

Flamu <Happy Hour> - Prestige Rank 6 - Whitefall PvP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast