+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Please slow down energy generation of warriors (and rogues)

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default Please slow down energy generation of warriors (and rogues)

    I play a Paladin in Rift.
    I've played a rogue for 6 years in WoW.
    In both games, these classes are based on energy.

    What is the point of energy for my Paladin in Rift ?
    The energy regenerates so quickly, I can not press buttons fast enough to deplete my energy.

    The global cooldown makes sure of that.
    Most instant abilities have a cooldown. So I can not spam those either.
    I can not run out of energy, even if I would make it my goal in life.

    Energy is useless game mechanic at the moment. What is the point ? Not fun.
    Intelligent, or challenging or fun combat mechanism for me is something else than spamming buttons at the speed of a rabbit on crack playing a Japanse fightergame on a console.

    Slow down energy generation. Just a little bit. But enough so that you have to pause your button-mashing once in a while. I loved the flow of playing my rogue in WoW. 40 energy per Strike, takes 3-4 seconds to get that amount of energy. You have to time your button presses a little more intelligent.

    While we are at it, 3 attack-points for finishers for warriors seem a little low too. Too easy. You'll have 3 attack-points in the time of 3 global cooldowns. Having 4 or 5 attack-points would make the combat a little less spammy. We have talents in our souls to increase attack-point generation (or even energy generation). Those talents are completely useless now. Slower energy and slower/more attack-points will give those talents some meaning.

    I want fun game-play and fun combat mechanics.
    Don't bore us with stories about how you want to pwn in PvP and don't care about anything else.
    Last edited by Gryz; 03-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Telaran North-Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    What level are you currently?? I always find my self running out of energy on my Pally or RB build in PvP and PVE. I want quicker regen and more energy not less!

    Have you started to tank elites in dungeons etc.. ??

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara Kaladai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Granada
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I play a Paladin in Rift.
    I've played a rogue for 6 years in WoW.
    In both games, these classes are based on energy.

    What is the point of energy for my Paladin in Rift ?
    The energy regenerates so quickly, I can not press buttons fast enough to deplete my energy.

    The global cooldown makes sure of that.
    Most instant abilities have a cooldown. So I can not spam those either.

    You are doing it totally and absolutely wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I can not run out of energy, even if I would make it my goal in life.
    I hope you are riding in the hyperbole bandwagon.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    This is rift not wow the sooner you and your ilk get that the better off you'll be.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Kelqor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I play a Paladin in Rift.
    I've played a rogue for 6 years in WoW.
    In both games, these classes are based on energy.

    What is the point of energy for my Paladin in Rift ?
    The energy regenerates so quickly, I can not press buttons fast enough to deplete my energy.

    The global cooldown makes sure of that.
    Most instant abilities have a cooldown. So I can not spam those either.
    I can not run out of energy, even if I would make it my goal in life.
    What buttons did you spam? 2 skills that have 10s CD each? I find myself running out of energy easily. For spike dmg, I have to purposely wait for full bar before i start my chain because I run out of energy middle of my chain if I start w/o full bar.

    Do you really play a warrior?

  6. #6
    Telaran North-Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Auto attacking??? LMAO !!!

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I'm level 27. I've tanked 2 dungeons so far, and have hardly seen energy drop low. I'm not paying too much attention to my energy during dungeon runs, because I don't have to. As far as I can remember, it's not much different then when playing solo.

    I use macros to make sure I use all my abilties. So they are used soon as they are off cooldown. I can't imagine I would use more energy when playing without macros (on the contrary). Maybe energy would be a problem at higher levels, but I can't believe that. I'm almost at the top of my Paladin tree (27 out of 31), and I don't see any talent or abilities in the future that suddenly start to take a lot more energy.

    Energy is a useless concept for my Paladin. You can just as well throw it out, and let us rely on the global cooldown. Because that is how it is at the moment.

    I can't really speak of rogues. I haven't played once since beta-1. Sorry. But I would assume it's the same. (It kinda was in December).
    Last edited by Gryz; 03-03-2011 at 10:46 AM.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Coolstorybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Instead of everyone complaining about the OP lets offer him some help.

    In order to do this please answer some questions for me that I can help you out.
    1. What level are you currently?
    2. Whats your spec?
    3. Are you macro-ing your instant non-gcd abilities with your regular gcd abilities?

    For my case I'm level 42 Champion/Paragon/Riftblade mainly champion. For me my power runs out super fast that I have to talent into getting 10 power when I critical strike to semi-compensate for this. All my non-gcd abilities are macro-ed into my gcd abilities so if they are off cd, they are used.

    I hope this helps!

    -csb

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelqor View Post
    What buttons did you spam?
    cast Aggressive Block
    cast Disarming Counterblow
    cast Retaliation
    cast Rising Waterfall
    cast Pacifying Strike

    I am also using Leader's Mark often when it's off cooldown.
    Finishers are Strike Like Iron and Righteous Blow (with and without a macro). I'm using Face Slam to interrupt. And other situational stuff for pulling, etc (Shield Throw, Shield Charge, etc.

    Most of these abilities use 10 energy. With a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, and an energy regen rate of 10 energy/sec (or is it faster ?), the global cooldown prevents you from running out of energy. Even when you spam Face Slam (25 energy, every 6 seconds, not on GCD), then that is still only 4 energy/sec extra. And I prefer to keep Face Slam available for when I need it, in stead of adding a little extra dps by using it blind every 6 seconds.

    I can't think of anything extra you would do that eats huge amount of energy.
    Please show me your math. And your examples.

    For spike dmg, I have to purposely wait for full bar before i start my chain because I run out of energy middle of my chain if I start w/o full bar.
    Spike damage ?
    Why would a tank want spike damage ?
    Why would a tank want to wait building aggro ?
    Oh, I understand. You are probably talking about PvP. That's the only place where spike damage matters.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Coolstorybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I'm level 27. I've tanked 2 dungeons so far, and have hardly seen energy drop low. I'm not paying too much attention to my energy during dungeon runs, because I don't have to. As far as I can remember, it's not much different then when playing solo.

    I use macros to make sure I use all my abilties. So they are used soon as they are off cooldown. I can't imagine I would use more energy when playing without macros (on the contrary). Maybe energy would be a problem at higher levels, but I can't believe that. I'm almost at the top of my Paladin tree (27 out of 31), and I don't see any talent or abilities in the future that suddenly start to take a lot more energy.

    Energy is a useless concept for my Paladin. You can just as well throw it out, and let us rely on the global cooldown. Because that is how it is at the moment.

    I can't really speak of rogues. I haven't played once since beta-1. Sorry. But I would assume it's the same. (It kinda was in December).
    This is NOT the case for my tanking spec at level 42. The problem is not your mainspec skills per se but all your other non-gcd abilities gained from putting talents into other trees that burn through your energy.

    -csb

    EDIT: Also I tend to aoe spam tank which is mainspec reaver and the gcd cleave burns through a ton of energy (25 I believe).
    Last edited by Coolstorybro; 03-03-2011 at 11:06 AM.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolstorybro View Post
    1. What level are you currently?
    2. Whats your spec?
    3. Are you macro-ing your instant non-gcd abilities with your regular gcd abilities?
    Yes, I am using 2 macros. See my post above. Spamming the big macro works pretty well. But still doesn't each much power. I'm lvl27.
    This is my spec so far. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cEhu..xxohccbc0M.t
    This is the spec I am planning to use later. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...ccbc0M.E0uo0Vz
    Now tell me, where are all those abilties without cooldowns, that use more energy per second than I am receiving ? Cause I don't see them.

    For my case I'm level 42 Champion/Paragon/Riftblade mainly champion. For me my power runs out super fast that I have to talent into getting 10 power when I critical strike to semi-compensate for this. All my non-gcd abilities are macro-ed into my gcd abilities so if they are off cd, they are used.
    I use macros too. Still no problem with energy/power.
    I haven't tried other souls a lot. Maybe it's just the Paladin that doesn't have a problem with energy ?

    And even if you run out of energy sometimes, that is no problem. The goal of the combat system should be that you are required to think a little. Make decisions of what abilties to use. Not just keep spamming Face Slam or Flinching Strike.
    Last edited by Gryz; 03-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.

  12. #12
    General of Telara Tugrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I use macros too. Still no problem with energy/power.
    I haven't tried other souls a lot. Maybe it's just the Paladin that doesn't have a problem with energy ?

    And even if you run out of energy sometimes, that is no problem. The goal of the combat system should be that you are required to think a little. Make decisions of what abilties to use. Not just keep spamming Face Slam or Flinching Strike.
    So after playing only a Paladin who only uses Face Slam and Flinching Strike, you have decided to increase energy use for every single warrior/rogue class?

    Sweet.

    /signed
    Last edited by Tugrath; 03-03-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

    What you did there, I see it.

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    cast Aggressive Block
    cast Disarming Counterblow
    cast Retaliation
    cast Rising Waterfall
    cast Pacifying Strike

    I am also using Leader's Mark often when it's off cooldown.
    Finishers are Strike Like Iron and Righteous Blow (with and without a macro). I'm using Face Slam to interrupt. And other situational stuff for pulling, etc (Shield Throw, Shield Charge, etc.

    Most of these abilities use 10 energy. With a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, and an energy regen rate of 10 energy/sec (or is it faster ?), the global cooldown prevents you from running out of energy. Even when you spam Face Slam (25 energy, every 6 seconds, not on GCD), then that is still only 4 energy/sec extra. And I prefer to keep Face Slam available for when I need it, in stead of adding a little extra dps by using it blind every 6 seconds.

    I can't think of anything extra you would do that eats huge amount of energy.
    Please show me your math. And your examples.



    Spike damage ?
    Why would a tank want spike damage ?
    Why would a tank want to wait building aggro ?
    Oh, I understand. You are probably talking about PvP. That's the only place where spike damage matters.
    Some of your math is wrong. Your primary spam ability in your macro (Pacifying Strike) uses 20 energy. It is the only one that is either not a follow up or does not have a CD.

    Are you completely ignoring Empowering Strike? Another 20e ability every 15seconds. Leader's Mark has no CD and should be kept on the mob, another 20e ability every 15seconds.

    Sure, if you only use 2 of your 20e abilities and a bunch of 10e abilities, you're not going to run out of energy. If you use everything, you'll find your power draining easily. Also, gain more levels and get more abilities = more energy usage.

    Barely over half way to max level is not indicative of actual energy usage.

    Also, the tank souls are somewhat more forgiving on energy usage, whereas DPS souls are more demanding in most cases.

    Please do not call for changes that would change an entire class at every level when you have only played 1/8 of the class. And not even to max level.
    Last edited by Yraen; 03-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    Please do not call for changes that would change an entire class at every level when you have only played 1/8 of the class. And not even to max level.
    Truth. Rogue primary combo builders cost 30 energy, even Riftstalker Planar Strike and Phantom Blow. So whatever issue the OP has with energy, leave rogues out of it. We run out of energy very easily.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Rezael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I play a Paladin in Rift.
    I've played a rogue for 6 years in WoW.
    In both games, these classes are based on energy.

    What is the point of energy for my Paladin in Rift ?
    The energy regenerates so quickly, I can not press buttons fast enough to deplete my energy.

    The global cooldown makes sure of that.
    Most instant abilities have a cooldown. So I can not spam those either.
    I can not run out of energy, even if I would make it my goal in life.

    Energy is useless game mechanic at the moment. What is the point ? Not fun.
    Intelligent, or challenging or fun combat mechanism for me is something else than spamming buttons at the speed of a rabbit on crack playing a Japanse fightergame on a console.

    Slow down energy generation. Just a little bit. But enough so that you have to pause your button-mashing once in a while. I loved the flow of playing my rogue in WoW. 40 energy per Strike, takes 3-4 seconds to get that amount of energy. You have to time your button presses a little more intelligent.

    While we are at it, 3 attack-points for finishers for warriors seem a little low too. Too easy. You'll have 3 attack-points in the time of 3 global cooldowns. Having 4 or 5 attack-points would make the combat a little less spammy. We have talents in our souls to increase attack-point generation (or even energy generation). Those talents are completely useless now. Slower energy and slower/more attack-points will give those talents some meaning.

    I want fun game-play and fun combat mechanics.
    Don't bore us with stories about how you want to pwn in PvP and don't care about anything else.
    Dumb player is dumb, and trolling. 0/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts