+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 unorthodox classes I would like to see

Soulwalker

Default Top 3 unorthodox classes I would like to see

For some reason or other, I bore easily when it comes to the old fashion type of archetypes, ie big tanks in plate + shield, glass cannon mages, etc. I love having them in the game, I just leave playing them to others. I usually end up going for pure support classes, or hybrid style gameplay. Here are the top 3 that I would love to see represented in Rift, feel free to share yours!

3. Mage Tank: This could be two versions, one would be a melee fighter in cloth armor but with super strong defensive spells (some kind of ice/frost mage seems like the likely flavor here). The other would be a pet class who controlled aggro through his pet. I'm not talking about a WoW voidwalker-type pet who could "offtank in a pinch", I mean a mage with a full compliment of taunts and protective skills that could tank with the best of them. Their damage would of course be much lower than most "mage" classes of course, and in line with other tanks. No examples spring to mind except I recall some DaoC classes had some strong abilities in this area.

2. Melee Healer: examples: Warrior Priest/DoK in Warhammer; Disciple in VG; Bear Shaman in AoC. I loooved playing all of these classes. There's just something so satisfying about kicking *** up front with the rest of the fighters and healing them up at the same time. I think the key to making these types of classes fun (and why the BS was my least favorite of those examples) is the ability to heal and attack with the same skills, or through effects gained from comboing other skills in a chain. Dual targetting makes these classes much funner to play also so I'm hoping we will see that particular system in this game.

1. CC / Melee CC: I was just going to put melee CC here, but a true CC class is so rare these days it's safe to call it unorthodox I believe. My old school EQ enchanter was one of my all time favorite classes, and I actually have some hope of a real CC class in Rift because the devs have been saying we will see some truly group-reliant classes in later levels.
    Melee CC is something I don't believe I have ever seen before in any MMO I have played, and would absolutely love to.
    I think a monk class would be perfect for this role (loooooove monks ). Instead of a "mez" spell you could have "nerve punch" or some type of grapple system (to borrow from D&D a bit) and a variety of crippling strikes/sweeps, etc. As a DEDICATED cc class, with medium dps and high damage avoidance, this would be my top choice for a class were I a game designer. But that's just me.

Honorable Mentions: Mage Melee DPS (loved my HoX in AoC), Twisting Classes (See bard thread ;)), Melee w/pet (Beastmaster!)

I want to see a healer class with a bonedancer'ish spin. Some healing could come from their pets or they could opt for buffer pets with unique / stackable buffs. (bonedancer was a pet class that controlled 4 skeleton pets at once that specialized in a number of different things).

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+1 to mage-tank idea.

some sort of warding class as apposed to straight forward healing would be cool too.

Shield of Telara

Mage tank would not make since at all. Melee healer = WoW Enhancement Shaman. Melee CC = WoW Rogue. Sounds ok to me..

A mage tank, could make perfect sense. They could have a buff that reduces damage and lessens their own damage. They could have vampiric magic. They could do alot of things. Let's have some imagination here, the title is for "unorthodox" classes.

1) Mage Tank - would be interesting not sure how it would work maybe something like the Herald of Xolti from conan ... love that class
    2) Melee Healer - Hell yes gotta have it, loved my DoK in Warhammer
    3) melee CC - is it bad that i think Tanks (especially in PVP ) should be the short range CC class.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Exclusive View Post
    Mage tank would not make since at all. Melee healer = WoW Enhancement Shaman. Melee CC = WoW Rogue. Sounds ok to me..
    Could we think outside of the WoW box for just a minute please? Thanks.

Apoth, I don't think it's bad at all, and if there aren't any dedicated CC classes, then yes I think tanks should be strongest in that regard. That's one of the few things I liked about Warhammer, it wasn't a good idea to ignore the tanks. But that's the beauty of this class system. There could be a Monk "soul" that was dedicated to CC and you could mix that with a tank should you wish, or just go for the pure tank.

1. Melee Sorcerer: Doesn't punch or do martial arts, all he needs to do is charge his hands or staff with unholy magic and gracefully touch his opponents. His spells could do damage or debuff with paralysis, strength drain or vampiric life taps. He could have an absorption shield of magical energy that can withstand damage for a limited time before shattering and making him extremely vulnerable.
    2. Stealthy Healer: Fast moving, positional melee orientated healer. Can step through Rifts like a teleport to reach wounded team mates. Heal spells would be very short range, so he would need to be actively moving about to heal team mates.
    3. Mage Tank: Much like the Melee sorcerer, the mage tank would not use weapons other than his trusty staff. He would rely on superior defensive spells to absorb, deflect and reflect damage generating massive amounts of hate on monsters. Offensive capability would be based around short range/melee aoe spells. Possibly transforming himself into an earth elemental or other tough planar creature.

Chanter from Aion - part bard(group buffs via chants) good melee damage and decent back up healer.
    White Lion from Warhammer - MDPS with pet (wonder if its possible to make something like that here Pets from the Ranger soul and BladeDancer attacks)

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Quote Originally Posted by Exclusive View Post
    Mage tank would not make since at all. Melee healer = WoW Enhancement Shaman..
    Pretty sure that's not what the OP had in mind. See, they didn't mean that it was a melee class that is capable of casting heals.

The Disciple in Vanguard and the Warrior Priest/Disciple of Khaine in Warhammer are perfect example examples. A large part of their healing was tied to melee abilities. Meaning that if they weren't in there beating on things, they were not running at full effectiveness and would eventually run into problems with healing the group.

This is a type of class that has a lot of versatility and generally makes healing a whole hell of a lot more interesting than the healer who stands all the way back and casts heals over and over and over again. They're also, when designed well, a more difficult class to play effectively and finding a good player behind that class really makes it shine.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

My hope is that with all the souls, these combinations would be possible by combining souls in your archtype. If you want CC you'd take a CC orientated soul in your archtype. If you want to be able to offtank and have defensive spells you take that soul.

Especially with the devs hinting at a spell thrower tank I think to some degree each archtype can slightly do some things from other archtypes. However I do not expect a full fledged Caster Tank to make a appearence.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Yes, you can make strange new classes with this system. It's not going to be exactly like some of the mentioned classes, but expect a disc like healer, expect a fireball throwing rogue, oh wait, you knew about that one. Tank mage, I'm not so sure about that. The problem has always been that spells are strong at level but weak when armour is gathered. So unless you find a way to enhance the magic power vs down the line gear upgrades, it might be weaker at top level.

This again depends greatly on how the devs will work it out. It's possible to have spells scale better then they have in the past and you probably can name a few games where it was done right. I lost track of how casters really scale with their old spells after I left EQ.

The odd classes I'd love to see is:

A class that focuses on procing, think it was some vampire like class in DAoC that did that.
    The class that was his pet. Also from DAoC. A class that put his life in his pet, he could control the pet and cast through the pet, but he was the puppet master behind it. If the pet died, you lost a lot of life and well it was kinda fun. I don't know how well it worked out, but it seemed like a great class to me.
    Bloodmage. It's just great, you can't say no to that idea.
    Disciple, great class too, had to add it. So sorry, it's 4 now.

NONE.

what i would like to see if different FIGHT TACTICS (mage tanking some sort of magic attack boss, ranger/rogue tanking some sort of physical range damage boss (DODGE FIGHT) etc. )

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    1. Melee Sorcerer: Doesn't punch or do martial arts, all he needs to do is charge his hands or staff with unholy magic and gracefully touch his opponents. His spells could do damage or debuff with paralysis, strength drain or vampiric life taps. He could have an absorption shield of magical energy that can withstand damage for a limited time before shattering and making him extremely vulnerable.
    2. Stealthy Healer: Fast moving, positional melee orientated healer. Can step through Rifts like a teleport to reach wounded team mates. Heal spells would be very short range, so he would need to be actively moving about to heal team mates.
    3. Mage Tank: Much like the Melee sorcerer, the mage tank would not use weapons other than his trusty staff. He would rely on superior defensive spells to absorb, deflect and reflect damage generating massive amounts of hate on monsters. Offensive capability would be based around short range/melee aoe spells. Possibly transforming himself into an earth elemental or other tough planar creature.
    These are fun sounding! The MageTank could also perhaps spread the damage amongst his group/raid?

A shape shifting caster would be cool. Based on the elements. Tank would be earth form, fire aoe damage, wind?, water? maybe they could use life and death forms too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast