+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do healers have to really work in instances? Heals seem so weak?

Rift Disciple

Default Do healers have to really work in instances? Heals seem so weak?

Im only level 20 Cleric with full points in Sentinel and than 6 points into Warden. I just did the first instance for guardians (Fae). Basicly the tank had 2k hp. My main heal would heal for 200 every 2 secs cast. Maybe Im missing something since its a new game but my heals barley heal. I never worked so hard to keep a tank alive. Everyone else is just taking it easy and I was basicly the one breaking a sweat struggling. I was lvl 20 and the rest were lvl 17 or 18 which is more pathetic.

Is healing just a pain in th ebutt or does it get alot betetr with gear or what?

I've healed RoTF as a 15 Purifier. It was hard (we wiped 2 times) but not impossible. I have not tried healing it now, but I assume at 20 it would be a lot easier.

So far healing in Rift seems more enjoyable then WoW (after Blizzard killed healing for me in Cata (was a Disc Priest))

Rift Disciple

I healed in warcraft as well and every instance was a breeze untill end game. I mean I had to be on super alert and never miss a beat when healing FAE instance. 200 a heal just doesnt seem right when Im healing tanks with 2k hp.

Just alot of work already didn't expect that and really was not fun at all.

Soulwalker

I think I am going to need a bit more information to be of a lot of use, for example, a link to your build and a basic rotation would help immensely, but I will try:

From the sound of it, Healing Grace is your main heal. With 20 points in Sentinel, you might want to look into getting Healing Invocation - on a per second basis it heals way more than Healing Grace does, especially when combined with Touch of Light. I keep a last ditch resuce macro that is Touch of Light, Tidal Surge, Healing Invocation (Instant casting Healing Invocation with a 50% boost can basically reset a large chunk of the HP of a tank immediately)
    Also, are you keeping Healing Spray up? Are you using Healing Current as your first heal once the tank's hp starts to drop, because it also has a HoT mechanic built into it and if you use them right, even as a Sentinel, Warden HoTs can do alot of the heavy lifting for you. From there, I would use...I think it is called Healing Breath (the level 0 Sent instant) as the next rescue if its available as HP starts to drop, then start the chain casting once you have exhausted these two options. Healing Grace I do not even use anymore once I get Invocation, but I can see how it might have some utility as a resuce heal for people who are not the tank. Anything after 16 points into Sentinel and I start to get lost, as that is as far into as I go, but I know there are all sorts of Sentinels on here who could help you.

I mean I had to be on super alert and never miss a beat when healing FAE instance.
    Why is that a bad thing? People hated WoTLK because you could pretty much go semi-afk as a healer and still keep the group up.

Normally I HoT up the tank and use instant heals on casters. I did have to spam my long cast heal over and over, so timing was crucial. But I kinda enjoy that. Timing + Spell selection = Win
    Last edited by Empathy; 03-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Rift Disciple

Ya I just noticed I didnt have Healing Invocation. So ill grab that might help a tad since it heals a tiny bit more. When I can I cast healing spray. But on the bosses or harder fights theres no time to do anything but spam healing grace and than when I can to get a instant healing grace.

A handful of fights my last run I basicly had to hit healing grace 50 times non stop and if I paused for a sec the tank would of died. Thats why Im saying I had to work my butt off. its because heals dont heal the proper amount of HP.

Healing breath is kinda useless because it might be instand but you have a few seconds before you can cast healing grace after that. Now if I could cast a instand healing breath, and than grace right after that would work good but theres a 1-2 sec delay.

If you're spec'd appropriately and spamming nonstop heals you either didn't have a very good tank or you had nobody buffing/debuffing/support healing.

Rift Chaser

Have you been buying the new ranks of your spells from the trainer?

Telaran

Huh. I healed RoF at 21 and I never had to sit and drink and thought it was the easiest healing job ever. My tank was 17.

I kept 2 HoTs (from early in the Warden tree) on the tank almost all the time and then just cast my 1.5 sec quick heal or my instant heal on occasion. The only time it got tricky was on the last boss when we had to 4 man it b/c our rogue fell off the cliff.

Post your spec and your healing rotation and maybe we can help.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheMove View Post
    Ya I just noticed I didnt have Healing Invocation. So ill grab that might help a tad since it heals a tiny bit more. When I can I cast healing spray. But on the bosses or harder fights theres no time to do anything but spam healing grace and than when I can to get a instant healing grace.

Healing breath is kinda useless because it might be instand but you have a few seconds before you can cast healing grace after that. Now if I could cast a instand healing breath, and than grace right after that would work good but theres a 1-2 sec delay.
    These three things are creating a self-reinforcing circle of death for you. Healing Spray and Healing Current's HoTs will give you WAY more time to take a breath and not need to spam Healing Grace, this will also make your Healing Breath resuce more effective as well, as the HoT's will absorb any normal damage that follows the mobs' big burst attack, and allow you the extra second per cast you need to cast Invocation, which will make up for any large chunks of hp being dropped off the tank while you cast everything. Remember, with an instant cast Invocation through Touch of Light, you can afford to let the tank's HP get down to basically right before death before you do anything, if you absolutely have to, just don't get in the habit of getting lazy and letting this happen on a regular basis. Also, being a Sentinel, you do not absolutely need to keep the tank at 100% the whole fight, because you have huge-impact direct deals in case stuff starts to get bad. Lastly, just make sure your keeping all of your spells at the right rank, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Champion of Telara

Ya I just noticed I didnt have Healing Invocation. So ill grab that might help a tad since it heals a tiny bit more.
    Its quite a bit more effective then a "tiny" bit more; at level 30, my healing grace heals in the 300's, my invocation heals ~1000 plus 30% hot, crits around 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by clafount View Post
    Huh. I healed RoF at 21
    Of course you had it easy, you overleveled the instance quite a bit

Sorry I cannot be of more feedback, my heals are always enough. But then, Im a mage ;)

Soulwalker

I think different healers are going to have different challenges in different instances.

I was mage dps'ing in DD last night w/ a Chloro healer. We wiped twice on the spider instance due to the tank dying. I switched to Chloro and we 2 healed it, and still the tank died right at the very end. Hot's and a 300ish heal every 10 seconds just wasn't cutting it much.

Later we realized that 2 Chrloro's can't have Synthesis on 1 tank, so the 2 healing wasn't really helping in this case.

Soulwalker

Im only level 20 Cleric with full points in Sentinel and than 6 points into Warden. I just did the first instance for guardians (Fae). Basicly the tank had 2k hp. My main heal would heal for 200 every 2 secs cast. Maybe Im missing something since its a new game but my heals barley heal. I never worked so hard to keep a tank alive. Everyone else is just taking it easy and I was basicly the one breaking a sweat struggling. I was lvl 20 and the rest were lvl 17 or 18 which is more pathetic.

Is healing just a pain in th ebutt or does it get alot betetr with gear or what?
    You should get the 15/16 point healing spell Healing Invocation from Sentinel's tree, its only 1 point and it heals alot, its on a 3 sec cast time, but heals 50% more than your 2 sec cast sentinel heal. Your 2 sec cast heal sounds really bad btw at 200, it should be healing 300-400, do you have any wisdom at all??

I bet your using a shield, shields are bad they do not have any spell power which you need to fuel your heals if your gona be any kind of healer.

I say ditch the shields and go staff/2handed with spellpower, the extra 50-100 sp that you lose from a shield really helps alot, at lvl 19 my 3 second cast sentinel heal Healing Invocation was doing 500-600 minimum per cast, so your gimping yourself by not taking healing inovaction and not using 2handed spellpower staffs

Soulwalker

After switching from a shield/mace to a two handed weapon with +100 or so Spellpower at 19 my base heals jumped up to about 500 a pop. I'd suggest making sure that you're using a 2H weapon with good spellpower and dropping some Wisdom runes on your equipment if you can make them or find them in the AH.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast