+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Squishy Clerics

Default Squishy Clerics

What makes clerics so squishy?

I am a cleric myself and any time I am up against a warrior or rogue, they seem to take some time to kill. As for myself, I am fighting for my life trying to heal myself.

I then come across a Cleric and I totally destroyed him very easily. It was like a walk in the park and I didn't have to heal myself once.

Any theories?
    Last edited by StChoch; 03-02-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Plane Touched

Uhh, what level are you? Clerics are NOT squishy, it's just they can't damage anyone to save their lives so it seems as if you are squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonymac View Post
    Uhh, what level are you? Clerics are NOT squishy, it's just they can't damage anyone to save their lives so it seems as if you are squishy.
    This has been the general experience when it comes to open world PvP at level 28-30.

melee cleric 1v1'd me, i was 29 sab they were 31 shaman justicar sentinel and healing breath + charge + 99% snare absolutely destroyed me, he out healed my full time bomb -> 5 blast charge -> annihilation bomb -> head shot in 1 second and then killed me in 4 seconds, i couldn't get a second detonate off and even if i did healing breath is only on an 8 second cooldown, your problem is either you are fighting classes designed to lock down healers (void knight or melee assassin with pvp soul for heal debuff and stun locks) or your spec is incomplete leaving you with a half build for now making you under preforming.

This is the link to my current build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rnj.tu.Vx0xt0M.V

I use this setup since I get a lot of healing support but I feel like I am doing nothing but healing during the fights.

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by StChoch View Post
    What makes clerics so squishy?

I am a cleric myself and any time I am up against a warrior or rogue, they seem to take some time to kill. As for myself, I am fighting for my life trying to heal myself.

I then come across a Cleric and I totally destroyed him very easily. It was like a walk in the park and I didn't have to heal myself once.

Any theories?
    Clerics and Mages (but more so for Clerics) are by far the hardest class to build for PvP (and in general I think) in Rift.

They suffered a real identity crisis in Beta when the melee clerics were nerfed (these were the uber hard clerics to kill (i.e. Justicar/Shaman builds) right after caster Clerics were (Cabalists specifically). Caster Clerics seem to be built more like mages and almost no one is stacking Endurance yet (how many PvP clerics are Druids and how many of them have bothered with Touch of the Fae in addition to stacking an Endurance buff over the top of it over Strength of Earth?).

If you want to PvP as a Cleric, I highly suggest looking at Justicar/Druid/XXX (healer/caster damage type) kind of build. Will be a bunch less squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Clerics and Mages (but more so for Clerics) are by far the hardest class to build for PvP (and in general I think) in Rift.
    Nope, Kruunch is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Madae View Post
    Nope, Kruunch is wrong.
    Very constructive feedback....psyche

I think any class is difficult to build in general since there are so many possible combination's you can use. But back to the main issue, do you think I will have a better chance at speccing more offense than defence?

you arent building your character correctly at your level.

I've seen clerics (40+) keep themselves healed for 20 seconds vs 3 even leveled people who don't use some sort of silence or healing reduction.

I've also seen a level 30 cleric keep himself healed being attacked by a level 41 rogue who didn't silence or use a healing reduction.

Clerics can heal though most damage as long as they're working at full potential.

2-3 vs me, I am unkillable in WFs. Usually they leave me be after a while cause they realize it is futile. I am sure a lot of this is people not knowing how to maximize their skills, yet. Shield, dot yourself, breath.

Seems like from your build your trying to be melee dps. If your going to go that deep in shaman id take the heal buff, take glacial shield. Maybe boost your Justicar armor bonus, use salvation.

Unfortunately my experience is playing my cleric as a healer in WF. I would maybe try ranged dps. A justicar can be unkillable as well and do some impressive group heal numbers, but you wont do much dmg.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Emrikol; 03-02-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madae View Post
    Nope, Kruunch is wrong.

I would agree with this as I'm finding my PvP cleric fairly OP. 1v1 vs. another class my level, I will almost always win.

If you want real staying power as a casting cleric, take either Inquisitor or Cabalist and then use your two other souls for healing souls like Warden & Sentinel. The healing souls also give +dmg bonus' to spells so there is some synergy to them. Your survivablity will be greatly increase. You don't have huge burst dps but it will still be good and steady.

I'm also finding that as a dps/healing cleric I can take on multiple targets at once. As long as I'm not stunlocked, taking on two melee isn't a 100% death for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StChoch View Post
    Very constructive feedback....psyche

I think any class is difficult to build in general since there are so many possible combination's you can use. But back to the main issue, do you think I will have a better chance at speccing more offense than defence?
    Well if squishiness is your issue I would have to say defense. At the very least, you want to stack your Endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Well if squishiness is your issue I would have to say defense. At the very least, you want to stack your Endurance.
    I think of all the melee dps, clerics are potentially the worst/hardest.

Defensively a Justicar can pump out some great group healing and moderate DPS. A healing cleric, Sentinel, can do the best healing due to their flexibility (the charts wont show the true power of the healing cleric) but dps is minimum. I throught that luminous eye on people and the +5% crit seems appreciated.
    Last edited by Emrikol; 03-02-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrikol View Post
    2-3 vs me, I am unkillable in WFs. Usually they leave me be after a while cause they realize it is futile. I am sure a lot of this is people not knowing how to maximize their skills, yet. Shield, dot yourself, breath.

Seems like from your build your trying to be melee dps. If your going to go that deep in shaman id take the heal buff, take glacial shield. Maybe boost your Justicar armor bonus, use salvation.

Unfortunately my experience is playing my cleric as a healer in WF. I would maybe try ranged dps. A justicar can be unkillable as well and do some impressive group heal numbers, but you wont do much dmg.

Good luck!
    Can you link your build?

During the last Beta, being level 41 I was just BEARILY able to kill a 36 rogue but I can take on 3-4 mobs at the same time.

When I get home, I will respec into this setup http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rnd.xuz.Vx0xz.Vxzb and see where it takes me. As I continue to level I will dump the points into shaman to improve my DPS.

What do you think about this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast