+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Spammable Ranged Mana Drain

  1. #1
    Plane Walker Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    464

    Default Spammable Ranged Mana Drain

    What class has a blue beam that drains your mana and gives it to them?

    I was in a warfront today and this ranged caster was sitting draining everyones mana one at a time. I interupted they just recasted.

    Who gets a spammable no cooldown ranged mana drain and how on earth is that balanced?

    -Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Dominator........ And I guess it is balanced, what makes it unbalanced is that they can make you into a squirrel instant and then drain your mana while you are in squirrel...
    Last edited by Oceanemotion; 03-02-2011 at 12:34 AM.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    464

    Default

    At least a void knight has to get within melee range. This person can sit in the back of a group fight tabbing through any target with mana and 1 button winning.

    As a cleric I have absolutely no defense against it. I pushed him back, I interupted, silenced, and he just kept spamming away. I understand "rock this is paper" argument but why on earth would I pvp when with 1 button they can completely disable me permanently. I run back and drink the second I run forward he just does it again.

    People wonder why its hard to get steady heals in warfront heres one of your reasons.

    -Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"

  4. #4
    aux
    aux is offline
    Ascendant aux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Mana Wrench, a Dominator skill. Available at level 8, but requires some point investment (13) in the Dominator soul to make it effective.
    It's also one of the very few counters to healers, so I'm sure that as a healer you'd rather see it nerfed to oblivion.
    There's various ways to counter it, though.
    1, the caster is a Mage, and therefore very squishy. Tell your teammates to stop sucking and kill him. A single saboteur can do the job easily.
    2, it costs mana to cast. Drain the drainer and he's stop draining. Interrupt him and it'll cost him more than he gains.
    3, it's a spell. Try silencing. Or squirreling. Squirrels can't cast.

    But mostly 1. Shouldn't be hard, bright blue beams make people stand out a bit.


    As for how far balance goes, I've noticed that winning warfronts is 95% dependent on how many healers both teams get.
    Last edited by aux; 03-02-2011 at 01:10 AM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Mako482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    All I know is I rerolled to Warrior because as a caster I was always oom in the Warfront.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I'm a dominator and imo, unless your team has no healers, it's the most useful mage class in WFs.

    Nobody cares that you can spam DoTs on the entire team -- one cleric can probably heal 3 inquisitors by freakin accident let alone the lower DPS of warlock.

    That said, without a good healer supporting me I'll die to almost anything I can't squirrell. Sab's can double crit me for about 110% of my HP.

  7. #7
    General of Telara Tugrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    905

    Default

    I was sitting in a WF the other day hacking away at a cleric. He was just spamming heals any time I got him under 75% health, rendering my attacks useless. Not only that, but he was able to heal his raid in between his self heals.

    Who gets a smappable heal spell and how on earth is that balanced?
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

    What you did there, I see it.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Dominator's actually have pretty poor self defenses. Can only squirrel one at a time, and besides that it's one knockback and a single target long-cast root. Kill them. People ignore them because they don't realize that they do more damage than Any Other Mage. Easily. They lock down healers. I only wish they were more capable of controlling rampant bards.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Madae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saikron View Post
    Sab's can double crit me for about 110% of my HP.
    Not a good enough defense for your argument - everyone hates sabs.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Dregmyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A Gym in Maryland
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Mana Wrench is pretty obnoxious. I played a Dominator during the last beta and would strictly focus healers. They would pretty much stand there and die after a few times. Transference is also pretty nasty. With all the cc and tools they have there more like a boulder to your scissors. As someone else said though they can be killed really easy if focused.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    Mana Wrench, a Dominator skill. Available at level 8, but requires some point investment (13) in the Dominator soul to make it effective.
    It's also one of the very few counters to healers, so I'm sure that as a healer you'd rather see it nerfed to oblivion.
    There's various ways to counter it, though.
    1, the caster is a Mage, and therefore very squishy. Tell your teammates to stop sucking and kill him. A single saboteur can do the job easily.
    2, it costs mana to cast. Drain the drainer and he's stop draining. Interrupt him and it'll cost him more than he gains.
    3, it's a spell. Try silencing. Or squirreling. Squirrels can't cast.

    But mostly 1. Shouldn't be hard, bright blue beams make people stand out a bit.


    As for how far balance goes, I've noticed that winning warfronts is 95% dependent on how many healers both teams get.
    I tried specing every soul for warfronts as a mage only to burst and get out healed thru my burst. So I switch to dom and I LOVE the tears of people shouting in the warfront telling me I suck and am skill less while I have their flamespear spamming RB polyed and the Sab confused with overpowering will while I drain the the healers mana to 0. Spaming mana wrench isn't hard its hard locking down your team and mana wrenching.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rageflow View Post
    Dominator's actually have pretty poor self defenses. Can only squirrel one at a time, and besides that it's one knockback and a single target long-cast root. Kill them. People ignore them because they don't realize that they do more damage than Any Other Mage. Easily. They lock down healers. I only wish they were more capable of controlling rampant bards.
    For the bards its easy. Communicate your dps onto the bard Mana wrench when he starts to cadence(because hes low on hp) it cost him 50 energy to cast cadence cast transference drops him to 0 energy he cant gain energy for 5 secs? So he sits there slack jawed and dies.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Kerri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tugrath View Post
    I was sitting in a WF the other day hacking away at a cleric. He was just spamming heals any time I got him under 75% health, rendering my attacks useless. Not only that, but he was able to heal his raid in between his self heals.

    Who gets a smappable heal spell and how on earth is that balanced?
    I know my warden get's a couple of instant HoTs and my Sentinal gets one instant heal. Together with my warden's group HoTs and the ability to turn another of my HoTs into a group wide heal I'm pretty hard to kill and still easily able to heal my group as well as myself ,even while holding the fang. I've seen a fair number of people try to kill me only to give up and move on to someone else eventually.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Lawlumad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hell.
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    At least a void knight has to get within melee range. This person can sit in the back of a group fight tabbing through any target with mana and 1 button winning.

    As a cleric I have absolutely no defense against it. I pushed him back, I interupted, silenced, and he just kept spamming away. I understand "rock this is paper" argument but why on earth would I pvp when with 1 button they can completely disable me permanently. I run back and drink the second I run forward he just does it again.

    People wonder why its hard to get steady heals in warfront heres one of your reasons.

    -Mal
    "I aim to misbehave"
    void knights dont need melee range, get riftblade with em and bam. ranged caster killer
    I have witnessed what you have committed in that area.

    "Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil"

    The Code of Druss the Legend

  15. #15
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    86

    Default

    As a cleric I have no problem with the sabs. because since it is cleansable if I get hit for 1.2k I know it is my fault. Any Mage can put 13 points into a tree (53 left for pyro ect. ) they can render me absolutely useless. My only problem with this is that I cannot counter it in any way, if I had any way to counter it in any small way I would be happy.
    Tsukasu, Cleric of <Salty>, 4/4 GA, 3/3 IG, 3/5 PBB.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts