+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Spell Damage Mechanic Explanation

Exclamation Rift Spell Damage Mechanic Explanation

How much do spells benefit from spell power, based on cast time and type?

Right, now for each 5 spell power that I have, I gain +1 dps. Does this stay static throughout the game?

How much benefit from spell power do instant casts receive? What about Instant cast DoTs? Non-Instant DoTs? 2-3 second cast spells?

Also, can anyone offer an explanation of how spell power affects abilities such as engulfing shadows, or lurking decay (specialized Cleric -> Cabalist abilities).

I have been very disappointed with the lack of information that I have found on this subject. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do the comprehensive research necessary. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by m3lior View Post
    How much do spells benefit from spell power, based on cast time and type?

Right, now for each 5 spell power that I have, I gain +1 dps. Does this stay static throughout the game?

How much benefit from spell power do instant casts receive? What about Instant cast DoTs? Non-Instant DoTs? 2-3 second cast spells?

Also, can anyone offer an explanation of how spell power affects abilities such as engulfing shadows, or lurking decay (specialized Cleric -> Cabalist abilities).

I have been very disappointed with the lack of information that I have found on this subject. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do the comprehensive research necessary. Please help!
    I agree that there is a fair amount of missing information and lots of speculation based on previous MMOs. Another one to put on your list is Bard songs (heals and damage).

The title of this threat implies you were going to explain it not ask a question about it! You had me there!

I too have many questions about the coefficients.

I'm planning a build around instant cast heals, but if the coefficient is poor than what's the point.
    The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. -Winston Churchill

Rift Master

I don't have specific number across all classes.

But it almost seems to be done on a spell by spell basis.
    The "dps" listed is meaningless.

This seems to be the order of importance:

Spells with secondary effects often get penalties.
    Aoe spells get a bonus to spell power.
    instants get less then cast time spells.
    Spells with cooldowns get a bonus to spell power.
    Cast time does effect.

so a 2.5s spell with a secondary effect will hit for less then a 1.5 with none.
    An instant aoe, will hit for more then a 1.5s single target.
    An instant aoe, will hit for more then an instant single target.
    etc

Ascendant

Obviously haven't tested it as my two characters on live are Rogue and Warrior, but I would assume that they copied most of the mechanics from WoW.

Cast time spells should get spelldamage based on the cast time. 3 second cast would get 33% more spellpower bonus than a 2 second cast, etc.

Spells that have a secondary effect (snare, root, etc.) probably have a penalty.

Instants probably have spellpower equal to a 1.5 second cast (GCD length).

If I still had a mage I would run some tests. Shouldn't be too hard for someone that actually has a mage to sit down and get some baseline data in a couple hours.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

+ Reply to Thread