+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champion and Bard Duo?

Soulwalker

Default Champion and Bard Duo?

Hey all,

Finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I bought the game for my little brother who is Autistic and we plan on duoing the entire time. He wants to play a Champion because he loves big badass warriors. This will be his first time playing an MMO, are Champions going to be a difficult class for him to play?

My main question is that I was intending on playing a Bard, but seeing as how we're going to be duo'ing almost 100% of the time with each other (maybe we'll join a group for dungeons, we'll see how that goes) is a Bard really going to be that helpful when he's enhancing only one other player? Or should I just give up the idea and play a cleric class of some sort to help support him more directly?

Also as an aside, what's it like on PvP servers? I'd like to play on a PvP server because generally it just adds more excitement when PvP happens and losing really doesn't have too much of a downside. But if it's crazy out there with tons of ganking then I don't want to frustrate my brother too much and we'll just roll PvE. He's up for it and realizes what might happen, but I want to try to gauge how bad it is out there before we try to see if I should just nip the idea in the bud or not.

Thanks for your time!

Soulwalker

Bards have extremely good healing, but if you want to make your lives a little bit easier i would make a cleric early on bards have little to no healing ability. You have spend 8 points untill you can heal people. Clerics would probably be your best bet.

Champions and warriors all together are difficult to lvl solo, but with a healer they are pretty good.
    New MMOs are like a box of chocolate, you never know how it will be till you dig in, i dug in and rift is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbeard View Post
    Hey all,

Finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I bought the game for my little brother who is Autistic and we plan on duoing the entire time. He wants to play a Champion because he loves big badass warriors. This will be his first time playing an MMO, are Champions going to be a difficult class for him to play?

My main question is that I was intending on playing a Bard, but seeing as how we're going to be duo'ing almost 100% of the time with each other (maybe we'll join a group for dungeons, we'll see how that goes) is a Bard really going to be that helpful when he's enhancing only one other player? Or should I just give up the idea and play a cleric class of some sort to help support him more directly?

Also as an aside, what's it like on PvP servers? I'd like to play on a PvP server because generally it just adds more excitement when PvP happens and losing really doesn't have too much of a downside. But if it's crazy out there with tons of ganking then I don't want to frustrate my brother too much and we'll just roll PvE. He's up for it and realizes what might happen, but I want to try to gauge how bad it is out there before we try to see if I should just nip the idea in the bud or not.

Thanks for your time!
    I duo my Champ with a Bard on occasion and love it. Buffs and heals and all the damage you could want (from me ). Works great.

PvP servers so far are what you'd expect. You get a free pass until about L25+ when you hit Scarlet Gorge. That's where the two worlds really start to collide (mid-zone).

I would suggest questing in groups from that point on.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I duo my Champ with a Bard on occasion and love it. Buffs and heals and all the damage you could want (from me ). Works great.

PvP servers so far are what you'd expect. You get a free pass until about L25+ when you hit Scarlet Gorge. That's where the two worlds really start to collide (mid-zone).

I would suggest questing in groups from that point on.
    Thanks for the replies.

Do you really think bards have enough healing to take down the elite quest mobs that you run in to? My original fear was that they would not provide enough healing to counteract the spike damage that these mobs would put out.

My main priority is just enhancing my brother's Champion as much as possible. I want him to have a fun time and feel powerful and unkillable. I'll probably play more often than he does so I can keep two characters up to speed so I will probably try both the Bard and a Cleric type, but any further input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies.

My main priority is just enhancing my brother's Champion as much as possible. I want him to have a fun time and feel powerful and unkillable.

Thanks!
    that's very nice of you. Take cleric and you will keep him up against 4-6 mobs of your level with ease, or you can survive well if you get agro.

Hey all,

Thanks for your time!
    1. Roll pve no question, then when you and your brother wish to pvp just flag /pvp and off you go, this way you won't be ganked by the zergs of 40's running around slaughtering level 20's.

2. bards start out great, up to 30 or so they are ok, 30+ they get weaker and weaker. if you and your brother really want to duo stuff have him roll a proper healer.

+ Reply to Thread