+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clerics are awesome!

Soulwalker

Smile Clerics are awesome!

I know there was a lot of talk during beta on how clerics struggled with mana while healing groups, but this is merely a thing to be managed. It is not because of the class, but because of the soul point speccing.

In beta, I made a sent/just/sham. In the early levels, I was tempted to spend my first points on increased melee damage/armor/spell. I probably wasted about 8 soul points on that in my first 15 levels. It makes soloing a heckuva lot easier, but can cripple the cleric in the upper teens and above.

One has to decide, "do I want to be a healer, or damage". Hybridizing simply tempts a healer to spend points on skills other than healing. This must be decided at level 1, so soul points can be entered accordingly. If you decide not to be a healer, don't expect to be able to be main heal in a group where all take damage until in the 20s.

To spec a healing cleric(sent/just), choose increased (heal)spell effectiveness and critical chance first. Fill sentinel first. Once you have filled that to a point where you can get the mana cost reduction skill (around 10 points or so in sentinel), fill the new mana cost reduction to full. Then return to complete spell effectiveness and critical chance if it is not full (2 sets of 5 pts). Now you can heal a dungeon group with little effort and plenty of mana. Make sure you train all skills up when available.

All clerics(and really any mana class) should always carry various mana potions and drink. Mana potions can be used in combat, but have a cool down time. Drink has no cool down, but can't be used in combat. Clerics should also have jewelry...with widsom(mana regen) and intelligence(mana pool). Carrying various scrolls for intelligence and wisdom work well too. They have an hour duration and can help a lot.

Running out of mana while playing your healing role is rarely a matter of class. It is a matter of careful character development, work on skills and armor, and choosing the right souls for the role you want to play. The shaman can give the group some very nice melee and mitigation buffs(which help the cleric to NOT have to heal), but I don't start filling it until after lvl 20. Shaman souls without any soul points will give you a skill called crushing blow. Between this skill and the justicar skill that is similar, the healing cleric will have little trouble soloing without putting precious early soul points into melee skills in order to survive.

Shadowlander

One has to decide, "do I want to be a healer, or damage". Hybridizing simply tempts a healer to spend points on skills other than healing. This must be decided at level 1, so soul points can be entered accordingly. If you decide not to be a healer, don't expect to be able to be main heal in a group where all take damage until in the 20s.
    This is true, but a bit misleading. Virtually all players will have purchased at least one additional role by the time they're in their late teens and preparing to do PvP or dungeons. As a result, it is pretty common to have a PvE / soloing spec and a group-focused spec. In other words, you don't really have to decide between them; you can do both. Just not in the same spec. You get four roles so that you can properly specialize in four different things within your archetype. Hybrid specs in a single role, for the most part, won't function well in PvE.

In PvP, hybrid specs are likely to be a lot more common, as players find that taking survival talents over damage is sometimes the right choice.

It would be asinine to spec your cleric as a pure healer starting at level 1. You don't need that amount of healing at level 1. You don't even need it at level 10. You're a lot better off specing for DPS to make the first 10-15 levels smoother, and then either respecing your existing role or buying the new one.
    Last edited by wildfyre010; 03-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread