+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retail is on tomorrow and not one single RP server!?!?

Default Retail is on tomorrow and not one single RP server!?!?

Really....not even adding one? All the current ones are full or heavy during peak times. Someone in the updated server listing thread said RP servers were not a priority? They should be of equal priority as anything.

I realize they won't add tons..but not even one. To date I have felt a good job has been done by Trion...I expect hiccups...but this. I am completely bumfuzzled. I have not said one thing about wait times mostly because I thought that they would add a few more when retail was live and then it would work itself out. I have tried to give positive feedback. Now I want to bang my head on a desk.

I am really disappointed and worried. Fortunately I have lots of free time, but most people don't. I don't want to have to act like a hungry vulture to get some play time! Either give us more servers or lock those that are on the highest wait time list (like Faeblight) so it won't be a completely miserable experience.

*cries*
    Last edited by Lisnpuppy; 02-28-2011 at 07:04 PM.

They have been running some polls in the poll section of the forum asking what ruleset people want to play by - and I noticed that RP rulesets have gotten quite low scores compared.
    What I think that they intend is to have people move over to a server with the ruleset they want to play on eventually, thusly taking a bit of weight off the rp servers. Atleast on Argent EU we had plenty of people on day 1 only rolling there because they had no where else to go, and now most of them have gone over to other shards.
    Perhaps at some point Trion should consider free migration from one type to the other to get those people unwilling to start anew.

General of Telara

Are you on Europe or something? Estrael hasn't had a queue once in my times though I'm hearing the worst it had was 3 minutes lately...

Telaran

Unless Estrael gets filled up, I don't think it's a miscalculation on their part.

Please don't kick up drama over this, as it will only make things worse.

Devs add more servers -> population evens out -> servers end up half empty -> RP servers end up 75% empty.

Throwing more servers out at launch is never a good solution for anything.

As for release day, I'm sure they'll figure something out, as they have said they've been watching population numbers, so if the population really does jump to warrant additional servers, they'll add them.

However, adding more RP servers is an even worse idea than adding more regular servers. We're already always outnumbered on our own servers. We do NOT need to be spread amongst a dozen different RP servers on top of that. So what we really need is some patience so as to make sure each RP server has enough RPers on it, otherwise it'll be a sad future for RP in RIFT.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    However, adding more RP servers is an even worse idea than adding more regular servers. We're already always outnumbered on our own servers. We do NOT need to be spread amongst a dozen different RP servers on top of that. So what we really need is some patience so as to make sure each RP server has enough RPers on it, otherwise it'll be a sad future for RP in RIFT.
    This! T H I S ! +100

For RP servers less is more. Roleplayers are rare drops.
    Nesina / Istaril, Argent EU Guardian (retired)
    Samhanyya / Dashikana, Argent EU Defiant

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sinborn View Post
    Unless Estrael gets filled up, I don't think it's a miscalculation on their part.
    I've heard reports that we now have anywhere between 3 to 5 minute queues. I've yet to experience it though.

Devs add more servers -> population evens out -> servers end up half empty -> RP servers end up 75% empty.

As for release day, I'm sure they'll figure something out, as they have said they've been watching population numbers, so if the population really does jump to warrant additional servers, they'll add them.

QFT...stop your whining people!
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

I <3 Kohlswa - 3/2/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    They have been running some polls in the poll section of the forum asking what ruleset people want to play by - and I noticed that RP rulesets have gotten quite low scores compared.
    The polls are laughable. What "RP ruleset"?
    Cogito Ergo Femina Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Sinborn View Post
    last couple of nights at 7pm PST, all of the PR servers have been full with a queue, even the PVP ones.

Not adding any new ones when the floodgates of players who didn't head start buts open here in a few hours will only add to this.

And what's with the polls?

All they need to do is read the forums for the last week as to what type of player has been saying all along what type of server needs less queues.
    "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem!" . Sorry pal, I'm in the control group.

"I'm a PvE player. I do not want my class nerfed because someone lost a duel. That's why I quit that other game. Thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarablu View Post
    The polls are laughable. What "RP ruleset"?
    I think they refer to the rules that you normally would associate with an RP ruleset, not specificly something that they have decided on yet

Default What 'more' RP servers?

there's not even one. as many servers as i see up and running i think at least one would be more than appropriate, at least to see how it would do. if it got no one on it they could always change it later, and if it got full fast, then you and Trion would have your answers now wouldnt you?

'we're already always outnumbered on our servers'.....who is 'outnumbering' you? you must mean dealing with busy servers i guess. who would 'spread you among a dozen different RP servers'? and how do you know if there are very many RP'ers on a PvP or PvE server if everyone is forced to participate in THAT style of server? if you go to an RP server that would be your choice, no one would force you to go, so that, among most of your comment, was pointless.

i cant believe the ridiculous comments from some people on here who think they make sense.
    Wit is educated insolence. - Aristotle

I am SO glad we didn't get an additional PvP-RP EU server.

The fact that there are 2 US PvP-RP servers is already going to split them over there unnecessarily.

Good thing all RPers interested in RP-PvP will have to stick to Firesand, even if it means a bit of patience while queues and population evens out after launch.

In the end, it'll mean that we'll have the entire RP-PvP community of RPers here, which will facilitate everything a thriving RP shard needs: RP guilds, RP events, random RP hubs, etc.
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

Quote Originally Posted by Wopatoolie View Post
    there's not even one. as many servers as i see up and running i think at least one would be more than appropriate, at least to see how it would do. if it got no one on it they could always change it later, and if it got full fast, then you and Trion would have your answers now wouldnt you?

'we're already always outnumbered on our servers'.....who is 'outnumbering' you? you must mean dealing with busy servers i guess. who would 'spread you among a dozen different RP servers'? and how do you know if there are very many RP'ers on a PvP or PvE server if everyone is forced to participate in THAT style of server? if you go to an RP server that would be your choice, no one would force you to go, so that, among most of your comment, was pointless.

i cant believe the ridiculous comments from some people on here who think they make sense.
    You've clearly not played WoW where the RP server system works pretty much exactly the same.

Over the years I made it a point to seek out the most populated RP-PvP server there, so I looked at them ALL in depth.

In the end, only one single server, the one that people flocked to eventually due to being sick of lack of RP, ended up having enough of an RPer population to really be pleasant and hospitable to RP due to a sizeable number of RP guilds, RP hubs, etc.

All the others -- there are several RP-PvP server -- all the others are can't even compare to that one server's population of RPers, never have.

If push really comes to shove, I'm sure they will add another, but the fact of the matter is that there aren't likely to be enough RPers to fill even one server to the brim, even in a game like WoW, let alone at the start of RIFT, so what they're doing is adding nonRP servers and leaving us here, so that those who joined due to queue times and have no intention of RPing can leave for nonRP servers.

Adding servers "just to see what happens" isn't as simple as you make it out to be either.
    Nor is it a great idea to go consolidating servers soon after that once population evens out.
    I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't speak from experience: WoW RP server populations, WAR RP servers being consolidated, etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by Shadow Master; 03-01-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

You've clearly not played WoW where the RP server system works pretty much exactly the same.

In the end, only one single server, the one that people flocked to eventually due to being sick of lack of RP, ended up having enough of an RPer population to really be pleasant and hospitable to RP due to a sizeable number of RP guilds, RP hubs, etc.
    It's not a matter of population. It's a matter of the publisher making - and then enforcing - the ruleset for them.
    Cogito Ergo Femina Sum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast