+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I quit WAR when customer service made me change my character names.

Telaran

Default I quit WAR when customer service made me change my character names.

I thought they were RP-appropiate. My friends agreed with me. (In fact our guild leader swares that someone must have wanted my name because he can't understand how anyone would think it was RP-unappropiate.)

But WAR customer service didn't. I don't know which of my characters was reported, but they sent me an email to rename BOTH of my characters.

I sent back an appeal, but then decided it just wasn't worth fighting and cancelled my account.

Moral of the story?

DON'T REPORT EVERY FREAKING NAME THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT CAME FROM A RANDOM FANTASY NAME GENERATOR!

I understand and *hate* seeing names like ****eater and IKillYou. But names like Fleche, Wolf, Zap, etc. are perfectly fine for RP -- even though they are in the dictionary. I'm sure we all know someone in RL named Shorty or Jocko. Why can't Shorty or Jocko be a character on an RP server? (Especially if they are short!)

General of Telara

i reported two names in my history of mmo, they were really offensive. I dont even bother when i see

Sephyrothe or ArthasX or Legolas

i just know that guy i a complete moron and that i shouldnt group with him

Telaran

Oh btw I should have mentioned the name in question:

Dragon

I was inspired by Tiger Woods (this is before all Tiger's public problems). I liked the "animal" first name, so trying to be more "period" I went with "Dragon" instead of "Tiger".

I found this to be perfectly fine, but apparently another player and WAR customer service did not.

General of Telara

youre named doesnt sound out of a rp tone. Many people you encounter online are a**holes, youll have to get used to it :P

Well, if a GM disagrees then there are two possible reasons: either the GM was having a bad day and took it out on you or your name was judged to be inappropriate for the setting. If it was the former, you could raise the issue with customer service and hope for the best. If it was the latter then, well, sometimes you just have to accept that those in power will have a different opinion than you, and their opinion is really all that matters.

It is also probably worth considering that if a name gets a large enough volume of complaints that they might force a change anyway. Basically, they are complying with the apparent wishes of the community, and the essence of good manners is to try and get along with the majority of other humans and to show them respect, even if it is at our own personal expense. Example: it is good manners for me to offer my seat on a bus to an elderly or infirm person, even if it means I must pay the price of standing the rest of the trip.

The moral of the story I would offer is: don't let decisions that don't go your way turn you away from a game you otherwise enjoy. No one suffered your leaving WAR except possibly you and your friends in-game.
    Sawyer Mathosian Warrior - Gnarlwood

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Katahn View Post
    Well, if a GM disagrees then there are two possible reasons: either the GM was having a bad day and took it out on you or your name was judged to be inappropriate for the setting. If it was the former, you could raise the issue with customer service and hope for the best. If it was the latter then, well, sometimes you just have to accept that those in power will have a different opinion than you, and their opinion is really all that matters.

It is also probably worth considering that if a name gets a large enough volume of complaints that they might force a change anyway. Basically, they are complying with the apparent wishes of the community, and the essence of good manners is to try and get along with the majority of other humans and to show them respect, even if it is at our own personal expense. Example: it is good manners for me to offer my seat on a bus to an elderly or infirm person, even if it means I must pay the price of standing the rest of the trip.

The moral of the story I would offer is: don't let decisions that don't go your way turn you away from a game you otherwise enjoy. No one suffered your leaving WAR except possibly you and your friends in-game.
    lot of wisdom , even more in the last part +10

GPN
    Soulwalker

Of course it could have been nothing to do with the name being inappropriate, but it may have been considered a copyright violation.

It may not be as well know as Gandalf but the main character in a series of books written by the late Robert Jordan had the title of Dragon. I'm not saying it was right or wrong in your particular case but I would say that customer services are more likely to jump on a name that might be considered a copyright violation that one that may not be suitable for a RP server.

Quote Originally Posted by GPN View Post
    Of course it could have been nothing to do with the name being inappropriate, but it may have been considered a copyright violation.

It may not be as well know as Gandalf but the main character in a series of books written by the late Robert Jordan had the title of Dragon. I'm not saying it was right or wrong in your particular case but I would say that customer services are more likely to jump on a name that might be considered a copyright violation that one that may not be suitable for a RP server.
    That is actually a trademark violation, you can't copyright a name, but you can trademark one in some cases. In either way, using material that is trademarked or copyrighted without the permission of those who own the rights will get you into hot water, and in the case of an MMO company not clamping down on players of your game who do that can likewise get you into trouble.

GPN
    Soulwalker

That is actually a trademark violation, you can't copyright a name, but you can trademark one in some cases. In either way, using material that is trademarked or copyrighted without the permission of those who own the rights will get you into hot water, and in the case of an MMO company not clamping down on players of your game who do that can likewise get you into trouble.
    I would disagree saying a trademark is meant to protect symbols and names used in the marketing and selling of goods. However I don't want to de-rail the thread anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GPN View Post
    I would disagree saying a trademark is meant to protect symbols and names used in the marketing and selling of goods. However I don't want to de-rail the thread anymore.
    Copyright applies to an entire body of work, such as a book. Specific characters, and their likenesses, are the trademark of the company that owns them. Trademarks aren't just logos or insignias. For example, if you check out information on the X-Men you will find that "Cyclops" and "Wolverine" are registered trademarks of Marvel, or in the DC Universe that "Superman" is a registered trademark.

Either way, using a name from popular fiction, is a bad idea. Trademarks are retained only by those that vigorously defend them, meaning companies are far more likely to jump on anything that might even be vaguely a threat to their trademark so they don't run the risk later on of a more obvious violation getting excused by "you never defended it till now so it became public domain".

In any event, whether copyright or trademark, I certainly couldn't fault any MMO creator or their staff from being very sensitive to potential legal problems that might come of one of their players' characters' names.

Copyright is so often misunderstood.

In my youth (heh), I worked for the Patents & Trade Marks office in Canberra. Now, my field is within the arts industry, so I am required to keep up with international trade mark and copyright law, especially as it pertains to US law in relation to international law. Within my editing work, I get panicked emails from beginner writers all the time who want to "copyright my book title so no one else can use it!!!" (/headdesk)

You are correct, however it could not have been a trademark violation either, because in order to be a TM violation, it must also have the certain look of the "trade mark". An example would be McDonald's, who have not trade marked the letter M but have TM'd the letter M in a certain format. Another example would be the specific use of Harry Potter, as together they are TM'd by... um.... whoever owns the rights to the movies (which is not Rowling, btw). "Harry" and "Potter" on their own are not trade marks.

Also, any in-game TM "violation" such as this one cannot, and will not, win in court if the word is also in common useage. "Dragon" is no more enforceable than "Cat" or "Chair", and is therefore not even trade mark-able. The MMO could not be sued because of this particular name (and Jordan's estate, frankly, would not even bother). On top of that, game EULAs always, always move responsibility for TM violations onto the player--the game company is protected from suits, the player is not.

Sounds like the GM wanted the name. ;)

Copyright is a different matter. Copyright does not protect ideas, but only the specific manner in which those ideas are presented. Again, Robert Jordan (who, as a writer, understood this, may he RIP), would have been the first person to say that a ban based on that character alone is ridiculous, especially since he wasn't the first (and won't be the last) author to use that name. Even if it *was* enforceable, the use of the name itself, so long as the toon did not also share the background of Jordan's specific character, it is well covered under Fair Use. A large percentage of copyright "violations" tend to be driven by Hollywood and advertising, not the authors themselves, because writers who know the industry know that copyright law was not just intended to "stop people copying meeeeee!" but also to protect creativity and derivative works... ie, to encourage creators to build on (rather than repeat) what others have done. That has been skewed (especially in the States) by Producers, Lawyers and Advertisers ($$$, see), and has led to much confusion over what copyright actually is.

The examples given re Wolverine and Cyclops are not, in fact, copyright violations, but TM, because the names themselves (as in, the specific manner of their spelling) have been trade marked by Marvel--and not for the comics, but the films (and they are iffy, because you have to use them in the specific manner it is used by Marvel, because cyclops and wolverine are real words). Likewise, brand names such as Nike and Marvel.

Anyhow.... if the OP had used "Dragonball Z" I would understand it, but "Dragon"? No.
    Last edited by Bethgael; 02-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.

I understand and *hate* seeing names like ****eater and IKillYou. But names like Fleche, Wolf, Zap, etc. are perfectly fine for RP -- even though they are in the dictionary. I'm sure we all know someone in RL named Shorty or Jocko. Why can't Shorty or Jocko be a character on an RP server? (Especially if they are short!)
    Because they often don't fit the tone of a particular IP, but honestly if an IP is that determined for naming conventions either provide a naming selection list or disable manual naming.

+ Reply to Thread