• 1 Post By Maluon
  • 1 Post By Filix
  • 1 Post By Videssian
  • 2 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Azaeriel
  • 2 Post By Maeloda

Thread: RP in Rift. Still a thing?

Default RP in Rift. Still a thing?

Is Roleplay in rift still a thing? If so, where can i go to get started? I did try joining the Faeblight united forums, but the enjin host it is on seems to have more bugs in it, than an Australian termite mound.
    Last edited by Maluon; 01-20-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Hey there! I've always seen RPers in the Argent Glade tavern in Silverwood. And randomly in cities. The tavern though always seems to have RP going on. Best of luck.
    Dimensions:

Sorrow's End @ Faeblight

Fleabite best bite.

Plane Touched

At best it's a pale, pale shadow of what it once was, even in Argent Glade.

There's a few RP guilds, but even then, nearly everyone I knew that RPed has left the game. Still, there could very well be exceptions I've missed.

Perhaps Rift Prime will re-invigorate things though, when it launches.

Quote Originally Posted by Videssian View Post
    At best it's a pale, pale shadow of what it once was, even in Argent Glade.

There's a few RP guilds, but even then, nearly everyone I knew that RPed has left the game. Still, there could very well be exceptions I've missed.

Perhaps Rift Prime will re-invigorate things though, when it launches.
    I'm unsure whether Rift Prime directly will, since it is so far going to be temporary. However, it might reinvigorate a core interest in the game by players (new and old) and developers, and that could lead into more RP interest by players and RP design by developers (beyond dimensions).

Probably not. But I can see a 2019-2020 perma Classic server really bringing RP back.

I don't really RP but I care about the people who do :P

Soulwalker

Here's the RP forums for Faeblight: http://faeblightunited.enjin.com

It took me a bit to find those forums because I kept googling "rift roleplay" and nothing was coming up. It wasn't until I was looking through old threads on this forum and saw someone with a link to it in their signature.

While the forums don't look that active, it appears the community in the game is still very active and makes use of the RP channels created.

I'm over on Prime, though, and feel torn where to play! But Live is so confusing to me and I'm very lost. Maybe when Prime has lived it's life, I can fall back into Live without being so lost and can pick up on RP!

Soulwalker

Is it safe to assume that the EU community is all but gone? I can only seem to find RP revolving around Faeblight.

I'd move over to NA; But you know... put a lot of effort into characters and what not.

Wish I could say otherwise, as I've been an RPer on Rift for 2-3 years now (an RPer in general for over five years), but the RP community in Rift, as far as open world RP, is pretty dead from what I've noticed. Argent Glade, for example, is a ghost town, where there used to be a few of us around at any given time. Quite a few of us used to hang around the Glade in the evenings.

Occasionally another person or two will pop into the Glade now, but that's rare.

Everyone else, from what I've noticed, stick to their cliques or guilds - RP in dimensions. It's sad, but the community that remains really isn't friendly anymore - if you're even slightly non-lore, you'll probably be ignored, because a lot of the RPers still around forget that RP is supposed to be FUN, and they think that everything has to be by the book. I'm not saying that you should run around as a fae-cyborg-vampire-werewolf hybrid thing, but even people RPing as actual creatures in the lore (aside from the races we can choose from) get frowned upon. A werewolf character, for example.

Most of the people that remain just take things too seriously and, like I said, stick to their cliques, so you're not going to be making many friends on here if you tried to join the community. Again, I wish I could say otherwise. It's really sad, because I see a lot of the people that have been around even longer than I have complain about the lack of RPers.

Many of the remaining players don't support their fellow RPers, leaving the community weak. If the people that stick to their cliques and guilds would actually try to RP with the stragglers running around rather than shun them because their character isn't lore or whatnot (again, who cares, really? It's supposed to be fun), the community would be a lot stronger.

If you still want to give it a try, despite all that, feel free to hit me up via PM or in-game letter at Azaeriel@Faeblight. I'm on a fair bit, and I like meeting new RPers - whether you're lore or non-lore, I don't care.

I can say that lore is fun for me. When more things fit it, I generally like it more.

But I don't RP. I just appreciate that it happens. And RP can happen that's completely random BS, cool.

And I don't really care what approach a group takes towards RP in itself, as long as its positive towards each other. And its not like people can know all lore details, due to how most quests aren't repeatable, references are scarce, and many (most?) in game lore books are difficult or at least time consuming to get.

And a werewolf Ascended fits the lore anyway, so what the..

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I can say that lore is fun for me. When more things fit it, I generally like it more.

But I don't RP. I just appreciate that it happens. And RP can happen that's completely random BS, cool.

And I don't really care what approach a group takes towards RP in itself, as long as its positive towards each other. And its not like people can know all lore details, due to how most quests aren't repeatable, references are scarce, and many (most?) in game lore books are difficult or at least time consuming to get.

And a werewolf Ascended fits the lore anyway, so what the..
    Agreed. I do LIKE lore. I also like non-lore - Some of the things I've seen people come up with can be rather interesting. The elitists, unfortunately, won't give them a chance...

Sometimes BS RP is absolutely HILARIOUS.

Agreed, though the community is struggling with that - many of them react negatively to just about anything that isn't a regular Ascended character, though - from what I've seen. My character, for example... but she's had some pretty terrible luck. I also agree that people wouldn't know all of the details when it comes to lore, though they try to act as if they do.

Honestly, I didn't know they could actually be Ascended (my main isn't Ascended, ICly). I know that lycanthropes show up in Death Rifts and are in places like Stillmoor, but I was unaware they there can actually be Ascended Lycans. Thank you for that tidbit of info!

Quote Originally Posted by Azaeriel View Post
    Agreed. I do LIKE lore. I also like non-lore - Some of the things I've seen people come up with can be rather interesting. The elitists, unfortunately, won't give them a chance...

Agreed, though the community is struggling with that - many of them react negatively to just about anything that isn't a regular Ascended character, though - from what I've seen. My character, for example... but she's had some pretty terrible luck. I also agree that people wouldn't know all of the details when it comes to lore, though they try to act as if they do.

Honestly, I didn't know they could actually be Ascended (my main isn't Ascended, ICly). I know that lycanthropes show up in Death Rifts and are in places like Stillmoor, but I was unaware they there can actually be Ascended Lycans. Thank you for that tidbit of info!
    To my recollection, Ascended are not exactly entirely immune to anything just by being Ascended. I don't see the conflict with the idea of an Ascended getting a deep scratch by a werewolf, being in a vulnerable position with their healing powers, and so becoming a werewolf. Perhaps its a strange strain that can't be cured yet. Perhaps the Ascended actually likes having werewolf qualities. Whatever works.

I will have to say that lycanthropy in RIFT is particularly vicious, so you'd have to make up a reason why it isn't transforming you feral so much of the time.

But this is why it conflicts with 'lore players' so much, I guess? There isn't the desire to express imagination to that extent, because the more that's allowed, the more that lore-flippant players get access to RP? That it might become 'lol I'm a wolf man lolol' quickly?

But I still don't see the issue with it, itself. Werewolves are a thing in RIFT, the condition can spread through whatever Death magic sort of thing we want to make up (the writers certainly do), and sufferers struggle with becoming a beast that will cause widespread death. The moon can transform someone for whatever reason (I'd love to see a zone expand on this), but it can also seemingly calm them if they allow it.

My opinion? As a mostly-non-RPer though? Its perfectly valid, but you may want to keep details to private groups that are welcome to it, while publicly or in other groups, find interesting ways to hint at it but never/rarely expose yourself. Go full-on-non-lore with it with people who like it, and with lore-people keep it as a Telaran would generally be about it if also an empowered Ascended: keeping it under wraps but ready to explode with it at any point.

Is there an item to transform us into werewolves? That'd be cool

EDIT: To be clear, I've never remembered seeing any Ascended lycans. But my thing is that people should be allowed to be fairly speculative. Ascended are not *immune* to anything (even death, ultimately; it just takes a whole lot), and they're still *majority* composed of what a biological humanoid would be, so why not? My easy answer is we can be werewolves but it doesn't usually affect us so badly, as with every other detrimental effect.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 03-20-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Azaeriel View Post

I was lead to believe that were wasn't anything "regular" revolving around an ascended. 'Tis a rather strange thing to have beef over. Ascended are power houses, are they not? :P But yes, once I am back online I'll give you a message!

Quote Originally Posted by Alshan View Post
    I was lead to believe that were wasn't anything "regular" revolving around an ascended. 'Tis a rather strange thing to have beef over. Ascended are power houses, are they not? :P But yes, once I am back online I'll give you a message!
    Agreed, Alshan, and by all means, please do!

Quote Originally Posted by Alshan View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the EU community is all but gone? I can only seem to find RP revolving around Faeblight.

I'd move over to NA; But you know... put a lot of effort into characters and what not.

The EU servers don't have a dedicated RP shard anymore, which seems to be one of the major contributors to old RPers leaving the game when Trion took it off.

That said, we have a very small RP guild on Zaviel called The Clandestine. (http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-rp-guild.html)

On Typhiria there is a guild called Myst Riders, but I'm not sure if they are still active.

I know there is also a French RP guild on Brisesol called L'ordre Draconique.

~ Gwedhiel Zavira Warik ~

NEW! Visit my blog The Daily Gwed, for fashion inspiration and dimension touring expeditions!

Default RP Events

I have been on the Faeblight Shard for nearly 5 years now, and have seen how it has changed as far as open RP, events, leadership, etc.

A month ago, I was handed the reigns to the Faeblight United Website, which really needed an overhaul. I've made an open offer to people who want to continue with hosting events, attending them, even a new focus to help fuse dimensioning into it.

We have a small group helping to freshen things up on the site, as well as making sure the events on the calendar are hosted. We also make a strong effort to attend all of the hosted events, which I think is important.

Right now we have kept a small flame alive...hosting a monthly Poetry Night, events a couple times a week, etc.

I think the next goal is to put an event on the calendar that is in the open world. That makes it easier for cross-shard participation and creates visibility.

Anyway, we are making our best effort to continue marching ahead. I encourage anyone interested to peek into the FBU website calendar and look at the events, and try to be involved, even if just a little. Supporting each other's events will go a long way in creating new contacts and keeping the RP flame alive.

http://faeblightunited.enjin.com/

Our community moderators are:
    Kallior
    Emmalythe
    Ari
    Sparklynn
    Tamori Koyomizu
    KelariCuddlesNalyvia
    Kuula

+ Reply to Thread