+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ZenMusic
  • 2 Post By Crithappens

Thread: Do Psychics Exist In RIFT?

Default Do Psychics Exist In RIFT?

I'm trying to explain my Riftstalker's abilities. She can see past the physical aspects of this world, which allows her to teleport great distances and anticipate enemy movements. Just wondering if "Clairvoyants" exist in Telara. If not, how can I explain her abilities?
    Since life is merely a conversation, pay attention the words and the lyrics that they be sayin'...
    - Angel Haze

Well.... she's an Ascended. So basically, brought back from death.... which allows for a LOT of special abilities.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

That's kind of vague. What kind of special abilities?
    Since life is merely a conversation, pay attention the words and the lyrics that they be sayin'...
    - Angel Haze

Plane Walker

Dragons seem to have psychic abilities. People, I'm not sure, I haven't run into such story in Rift so far. I don't think riftstalkers are clairvoyant, they are more like half-ghosts. They can shift in and out of physical reality.

The first riftstalker was supposedly some kelari who was disintegrated during an experiment gone wrong, but he figured out a way to pull himself back together. Like Doctor Manhattan from the Watchmen. Once he gained that knowledge by accident, he could repeat it when he wanted to, and he tought some others how to do it as well.

When riftstalkers are out of physical reality, they don't move like physical objects, they probably move like light or something like that, that's why they are so fast. But disintegration is a very painful process, and it consumes a lot of energy, so riftstalkers pay a heavy price. They have a lot of mobility and they can avoid damage, plus they probably scare the **** out of their enemies, but their physical power becomes diminished, damage is lower.

Here's the original lore bit on Riftstalkers:

It had been years since the accident, but Anan Mkhai recalled vividly the agony of having his very essence torn to shreds by his father’s experiment.

“Just one more adjustment,” the old man murmured, tinkering with the sourcestone lode he’d balanced within a crude assortment of metal rings held together with rawhide bands. As the lode clicked into place, the device erupted, shooting a bolt of wild planar power straight into Anan.

The agony returned whenever Anan detached himself from physical space. Of course, when a snarling Bomani thrusts a spear at one’s midsection, pain is a small price for vanishing into thin air before the blow lands. Anan forced himself through the shadowy realm between realities to reappear behind the Bomani, jabbing his daggers into the dog-man’s kidneys. The Bomani crumpled, and Anan wiped his blades on the leather of his leggings.

A soft crying caught his attention. Turning, Anan noticed a small girl huddled by the beset caravan. Bending the threads of space and time, Anan stood beside her in moments. The bodies of her parents lay nearby.

“Let’s get you out of here,” Anan said to the girl softly. As he leaned down to scoop her up, his ears pricked to the clink of chain against stone. Closing in fast, a spectre charged, howling and whipping the air with ghostly chains.

Anan put a finger to his lips as tears welled in the little girl’s eyes. “Shh… I will be back for you.” He studied the spot, and in his mind, a beaming mote appeared in the girl’s location, visible across the immaterial lines of reality.

Anan closed with the spectre, and knew for once the frustration of facing a foe who could wink in and out of existence. Countless times they vanished and reappeared, like warring shadow-puppets in a lightning storm. At last, Anan poised his blade where he knew the shade would materialize, and it appeared once more, impaled on his blade, and dissipated with a bloodcurdling screech.

A second scream drowned out the spectre’s, and Anan whirled to see a Bomani poised to skewer the terrified girl. He honed his mind in on the mote he had laid near the child, and in a flash, he was back beside her, burying his dagger in the heart of the beast. The girl in his arms, Anan walked from the ruins of the caravan toward the small cluster of survivors.

Transporting his mind to another time, Anan saw his father cradling his own body tenderly, muttering apologies and weeping after smashing the device—his life’s work—to spare his son from complete disintegration. For all the agony, his father’s experiment allowed Anan to spare others from pain, a gift he shared with the next generation of Riftstalkers.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    The last line of your sig wrinkled my eyebrows....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I am sorry to hear that, citizen Kiwi. How may the Bureau assist you in reforming your criminal ways?
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMusic View Post
    I'm trying to explain my Riftstalker's abilities. She can see past the physical aspects of this world, which allows her to teleport great distances and anticipate enemy movements. Just wondering if "Clairvoyants" exist in Telara. If not, how can I explain her abilities?
    Riftstalkers have to do with slightly messing with the fabric of Telaran reality and how it intersects with the other planes (like rift tears do).

So you could make all sorts of stories with that. One example may be that while teleporting, some strangeness happened where you touched on a so-far-more-unknown mental plane (like how we're finding out that Water has to do with 'Dreams'), maybe connected to the Plane of Air, and so you can sometimes experience and/or hear peoples' thoughts when you activate your riftstalker power.

Psychics do exist in Rift. Thoughts are independent of the brain in much of the lore, and there's plenty of abilities that may let one into the minds of others. Right off the top of my head, I wouldn't be surprised if Dominators could tap into this sort of thing, at least with some extra RP storylines being involved.

I think I'll stick with her reading people's thoughts.
    - Angel Haze

+ Reply to Thread