+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Oed
  • 2 Post By Dusky Beauty

Thread: Finding RP...

Default Finding RP...

Is it even possible in this game to find regular RP. As in people who act as friends, enemies, associates or lovers? I hear there is tavern nights, and I know of the Quill, but it really seems that unless you have played on Faeblight since the start then you may as well be invisible. And then when you do finally find a few people to talk with... guess what? They randomly disappear without a trace, most likely back to WoW where it's actually possible to end up in random RP within a couple of minutes of logging on.
    Seriously, trying to find a little conversation here is harder than enlisting as a fully fledged member of the Illuminati! Sorry for my rant, just extremely frustrated and wondering "is my character really that bloody awful"
    New players feel free to use this code for free stuff!
    NJY2ML7PDHKELDM3MKZW

Oed
    Soulwalker

Unfortunately, it's very common in MMOs with really robust player housing (so far, that's just Everquest 2 and Rift) that the players will take advantage of the creative options available and end up holed up in their houses/dimensions. In both games there's very little random "out in the world" RP unless it's prearranged. You can find a little on Faeblight at Argent Glade, Sanctum, or Meridian, sometimes, though it does seem to be different faces every few weeks.

I can't answer the question about your character without knowing more about the character. The best option would be to check out faeblightunited.com if you haven't already, though even that website isn't all that active. Roleplay is a little sparse in several MMOs right now, a tragic side effect of variety coupled with free-play options. In the "old days" of subscriptions, players usually picked one game at a time and stuck with it unless it got really bad, or if they did bounce around they were inclined to pick up old characters when they returned. With the abundance of different MMOs right now plus the fact that free play has become common, more and more people are playing multiple MMOs and will freely jump between them on a regular basis, as well as making second, third, fourth, etc, accounts on those games and getting severe cases of alt-itis.

That said, feel free to chat me up in-game (I'm commonly on Oed or Ildonacus), or if you'd rather skip the random factor of happening to be online at the same time, shoot me an email at Gmail, username exaltedben - I'm sure you can put the pieces together for that email address without me spelling it out for email spambots to pick up.

I think we've experienced the same thing.

I tried roleplaying once in Faeblight,

Tried to find open world roleplay which was almost none existent. I would see others roleplaying occasionally however, and would walk up IC just to have them give some sort of remark that could neither care, or have any interest whatsoever in what I was doing.

Most of my 2 weeks of "roleplay" was spent inside the Quill being blatantly ignored by just about everyone. I would of a few minutes of success until one of their friends walked in, then that was it.

So I just took that as a sign that roleplay it obviously wasn't meant for me so I transferred.

It is true about the robust housing, though my guild is making an effort to do more open world rp so that we can meet new people! But the world is BIG as well. Nonetheless, if you are on faeblight and interested in finding some rp, you can whisper Rivvka and I will certainly to my best to help. Another way to meet people is on the faeblightunited.com forums, which can lead to great rp as well.

Best of luck!
    Rivvka / Murrbella

Come stand a little bit closer, breathe in and get a bit higher
    You'll never know what hit you when I get to you

Soulwalker

come on by to The Noble Badger on Tavern nights!

Maybe I should be able to, but I can't tell if you're on the NA or EU side of things.

If you're on EU, you can join the channel "riftrp" and ask there.

It's on the Zaviel server, where our old RP-served was merged.

I found a little RP at Argent Glade but people also seem to duel a lot. It's distracting. The RPers don't write in detail usually either.
    c: Smiley face?! Gasp! o:

One major problem in these forums... you never can tell if someone is on Faeblight US or Zaviel EU.

I dropped Rift because of the pretty much dead RP community (Zaviel EU) after the shut down/merge of Argent with Zaviel. I am wondering if things have changed since then.
    Last edited by Kazerabet; 08-12-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Kazerabet Al' Pherael Ezarhaddon - 60th level Eth Necromancer - The Red Circle RP Project - Zaviel (PvE) EU.

Rift Disciple

This is the website most roleplayer use, maybe you will all have more luck looking there, http://www.faeblightunited.com/ Have fun everyone
    edit : i saw someone mentioned it already! didn't read everything before posting!
    I have a guild dim on faeblight called Shadowrose keep, there is a post about it on the dimension part of the forum, you are free to use it for RP if you wish
    Last edited by Yeuo; 08-12-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Soulwalker

Ive been looking to do a little Roleplaying myself in Rift. But it seems impossible to find. Even in Faeblight which im pretty sure was labeled as PVE-RP. I feel your pain ^^ Though I can't promise ill be around 24/7 because im in school like 12 hours a day. Im often around on the weekends though so do with that information as you will.

Rift Disciple

It's summer, more people will probably show up after it ended!

Plane Touched

My advice to you: RP while you play in the world and greet people in character. Get to know people. Avoid the "planned events" scene.

Avoid guilds that hole up in their dims too. Attend community events.

Here's the little dirty secret of RP: It is what YOU make of it. Meaning if you limit yourself and stick to "recommended groups only" you're never going to meet the people who do it in the world.

I'm IC 24/7, no matter what toon i'm on. And if someone looks at me funny? I just laugh, shrug, and keep going. I drag my friends on quests, hunts, mentoring for zones, and even make my OWN reasons for why i'm there questing.

Don't go from "ignore all content, you can't do it icly" to "i killed every dragon blah blah blah".

That's another thing to avoid. Find yourself a nice middle ground when questing that makes sense. Don't get literal with dying or quests. Dont' even get literal with warfronts, just the results (winning/losing etc.)

Use your imagination. Make it make sense.

And avoid the Quill. That's where you meet the people you actually should be avoiding. I'll pop by there once in a while or maybe watch the seastoners teach the crybabies/ragers a lesson or two in reminding them that RP server or not, Rift is still Rift, deal with it, but... for the most part only in passing.

As for good guilds. I'd recommend the Gauntlet as one. Blackwood Company... depends on who you meet, but their GM is, and always has been amazing and easy to talk to when you have problems (not sure if I'm allowed to put her name up or not, even when talking positive).

Again, its' what you make of it. The people who hide in dims all the time are usually the "barbie doll" kind of rpr, which I avoid. I'm more of an immersion to the game world kinda guy myself. So, just run up to someone, whlie doing a hunt rift. Don't refer to the mob by name, just call it a planarch, and be done with it. Thank them for helping, or ask if they're alright, etc, in an IC manner. Most players will be cool with it. And if not? let 'em get mad. They did roll on an rp server after all, so if they don't like walkups, they should go elsewhere.

"Ignore guilds who RP in dims..."
    "Ignore an RP schedule...."
    "Ignore Argent Glade."

I really only agree with one of these. While in a perfect world, if we keep harping on the RP community enough to "rp every where, every time" we might see more and better RP.... that's not going to happen in the RP culture Rift has, and counseling the new folks with these ideas is a road to discouragement.

We have scheduled events, to increase the odds of people who play Rift and also RP to take a break from raiding and PvP and everything else rift has to offer, to gather without the Argent Glade creep show.

RP Guildmasters both facilitate and plan small scale RP events of all varieties between- "Lets meet for an IC dungeon or guild tavern RP"... to full scale Dungeon Master moderated RP campaigns. You might see one "planned RP" guild event a week with unscheduled encounters arranged between individuals in between PvP and raid schedules.... or you might see a guild with an RP event scheduled every day.
    It's a collection of a regular cast of characters you can count on interacting with.

RP guilds are a good thing, and you really need to mingle with them, and their events to get a feel for a culture you like.
    Sure, you can go solo, and be particular about the kind of RP you will, or will not participate in... but you're more likely to get a well rounded and satisfied experience if you network... being guilded is the simplest way to network.

+ Reply to Thread