+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Elareth
  • 1 Post By darkzerofury
  • 1 Post By darkzerofury
  • 1 Post By darkzerofury

Thread: A roleplay roll emote guide:

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Elareth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default A roleplay roll emote guide:

    Roll Emoting, is no matter what the argument against it may be, the fairest way to dictate a pvp based fight in combat, because it does not factor game play mechanics, nor give room for power emoting, because the decision is based down to the dice.

    But it can be difficult for people to see a reason to do it, especially those who do have the best possible gear, or simply no motivation to prove they are as great as they say.

    So how do you work around that?

    I offer my proposal for those seeking to get into Roll Emotes, and a small guide not an advanced one, so don't worry, its not like its going to make you have to think about everything. This is a simple, but an easy to grasp version of roll emoting, that factors in the things players are afraid of, such as their epic level toon being humiliated by a nobody level 10.

    So, how does this refined Roll System Work:

    A)
    The Emotes and The Rolls.
    Emoting should never be done as "Character grips X character by the face and breaks his nose" but always begin with an "attempts to" or "tries to" x or y, which is a courteous way of saying this is the general emote you want your char to do to another persons char.

    Now the system for rolling works like this:
    You roll an imitative check to start with, this check determines if the attacker or defender goes first.
    Even if the person attacking is ready to strike, if the defender is prepared, they might get an attack of opportunity to counter-strike first.
    Either way, the point is, that its to determine who goes first.

    You roll 100 each, plus a modifier determined by your PvP Level, for every 1 level of PvP rank you have you add another point to that 100, so if your PvP rank 10, you roll 110 instead of 100.

    The winner then gets the first strike, determined by who ever rolls the lowest.

    Then the fight begins.

    This is a best of 3-5-7 how ever many you want but always an odd number, so that nobody can actually cheat the other side or have a tie.

    In the event two players actually do roll the same emote, they just consider it a tied emote, like a parry or a block, so nobody looses anything.

    Either way, yet again, the player with higher PvP levels keeps their modifier, while the player with no PvP levels rolls 100 by default.

    So if you are level 30, you roll 100, if you are level 51 with rank 3 you roll 103.

    The fight continues in turns, the winner of the initiative gets the first turn, then the other player gets the second.

    This continues until one of you is defeated.


    How does this help:
    - It guarantees that players with PvP Levels do get taken into account for their PvP.
    - It still gives the nobody a small chance in hell of defeating the somebody.
    - Its entirely fair and even if the guy that has less levels than the guy above argues with that, it cant possibly be cheated.

    You could go into even more advanced mechanics here, and use actual character levels, so a player at level 30 can only roll 30, while a player at 51 with rank 3 can roll 54.

    That's up to you if you want to go into really deep complexity, I admit that would be even fairer still but slightly over disadvantageous, even then, I understand why people might be scared of roll's with a complex system.

    Even so, consider this a guide, food for thought, maybe try it with a friend, see how it works out for you both.

    Rolling with more than 1 player:

    This is a slightly more complex system, but id try to keep it orderly by saying this should be a matter of a 2-3 against one situation, with that one player taking the equivalent of three to four losses at a time each time they are trying to take on the other players at once. That way we avoid the "I am Goku" situation but equally give the remote chance that by some miracle of dice luck you can actually manage to fend off multiple attackers, even if it is VERY unlikely you will.

    I'm not trying to enforce a new system, but rather, offer one to players interested in trying something new, and equally giving another choice besides /duel if people don't necessarily find that option attractive.

    Either way, I hope it helps for those that are shy and want to give it a go.
    Elar, a woman of many colours...
    How many faces does a woman possess?

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    "Fair."

    So you're saying every player who's worked for their gear, learned their class and leveled, is unfair?

    This is the biggest crock of **** from a carebear I've ever read.

    Demanding and insisting it's fair is something that special snowflakes need to do, and allow to explain why:

    Levels are fair. Gear is fair. Skill is fair. For 1 simple reason.

    Guess what we all start at, and with? Level 1, no gear, no skill.

    Instead of trying to force imaginary rules on someone, why don't you just put the same amount of effort into L2P?

    This is not table top D&D, which actually does include mechanics, gear, an RNG dmg range / hit stats, anyway.
    This is game is NOT a forum roleplay setting. It is a PROGRESSION BASED VIDEO GAME setting.

    I met a level 55 who didn't ***** because he had to pvp duel me, because he chose to pick a fight. Guess what? Next time I fight him i plan on mentoring down because that player honored the REAL game rules. He didnt' go crying about how the game mechanics are unfair because it didn't work in his favor.

    I'd advise folks to ignore this kind of crap this guy is posting. It's the kind of garbage that made the WoW rp community such an entitled obnoxious whiny mess. We don't need that kind of garbage here.

    Before you go crying about fair because you start a fight with someone more powerful than you because you want to satisfy your ego that you get to spit out a full power character immediately or it's not "fair" because you can't win on the spot is ridiculous.

    Please don't go on about this. Regardless of how many people agree with you, doesn't make you even near accurate or right. It just means you're surrounded by folks who can't handle pvp.

    Honestly I find your dribble offensive because that implies if I use the gear I've worked for, levels i've gone out and developed, PA i've grinded (which i'm sorry but this game is not about sitting and writing, welcome to MMORPG's, this is NOT a MUD, regardless of what you want to think it is in "your view". Trion's definition comes first, as they are the game creators, you are not). You are telling me it is "unfair" to use what i've earned because you say that your little roll emoting ******** is the ONLY fair way to do it?

    What an entitled crock of ****. Get out of here.
    Last edited by darkzerofury; 02-17-2014 at 12:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkzerofury View Post
    "Fair."

    So you're saying every player who's worked for their gear, learned their class and leveled, is unfair?

    This is the biggest crock of **** from a carebear I've ever read.

    Demanding and insisting it's fair is something that special snowflakes need to do, and allow to explain why:

    Levels are fair. Gear is fair. Skill is fair. For 1 simple reason.

    Guess what we all start at, and with? Level 1, no gear, no skill.

    Before you go crying about fair because you start a fight with someone more powerful than you because you want to satisfy your ego that you get to spit out a full power character immediately or it's not "fair" because you can't win on the spot is ridiculous.

    Please don't go on about this. Regardless of how many people agree with you, doesn't make you even near accurate or right. It just means you're surrounded by folks who can't handle pvp.

    Honestly I find your dribble offensive because that implies if I use the gear I've worked for, levels i've gone out and developed, PA i've grinded (which i'm sorry but this game is not about sitting and writing, welcome to MMORPG's, this is NOT a MUD, regardless of what you want to think it is in "your view". Trion's definition comes first, as they are the game creators, you are not). You are telling me it is "unfair" to use what i've earned because you say that your little roll emoting ******** is the ONLY fair way to do it?

    What an entitled crock of ****. Get out of here.

    YOU. Yes, you. Since it seemed to whoosh over your head, this is for ROLEPLAYING, NOT PvP. Notice which part of the forum it's in?

    Now, shoo.

    To the OP: Some RP people in my guild are trying out using a roll system and are having a lot of fun with it.

    For those who don't understand the concept, it's based off tabletop RPGs and flavored for In-Character Roleplay.
    Last edited by ilex011; 02-17-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: and it's "drivel", not "dribble".
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    heh, DnD and dorfortress in RIFT. would love to see this actually being played out!

    imagine, in codex, everyone is standing still and emoting.... rofl!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Roleplaying = immersion.

    Guess what that means in a video game?

    Mechanics are part of the world. Writing =\= Roleplaying. It is a method used to convey what the mechanics cannot always do. And it's designed to ENRICH (not replace) the game experience.

    Don't even talk to me about **** going over my head. You rprs with that kind of mindset are often the stupidest and most daft folks I've ever met and lack common sense because it's inconvenient.

    Pvp means player vs player. If you hate pvp then don't fight other players, because TYPED or NOT, your'e still going vs another player, which is pvp.

    Don't give me that "fair" crap or "you don't get it" crap.

    I've walked both paths and understand a hell of a lot more than you probably ever will.

    I'm also not so busy "trying to be creative" that i forget what the medium I'm playing is designed for.
    Last edited by darkzerofury; 02-17-2014 at 01:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkzerofury View Post
    Roleplaying = immersion.

    Guess what that means in a video game?

    Mechanics are part of the world. Writing =\= Roleplaying. It is a method used to convey what the mechanics cannot always do.

    Don't even talk to me about **** going over my head. You rprs with that kind of mindset are often the stupidest and most daft folks I've ever met and lack common sense because it's inconvenient.

    Pvp means player vs player. If you hate pvp then don't fight other players, because TYPED or NOT, your'e still going vs another player, which is pvp.

    Don't give me that "fair" crap or "you don't get it" crap.

    I've walked both paths and understand a hell of a lot more than you probably ever will.

    I'm also not so busy "trying to be creative" that i forget what the medium I'm playing is designed for.
    I'm actually not an RPer, though I dabble occasionally. My point is that this is a system done in private dimensions by a very small subsection of creative RPers in small private groups. It's not done in WFs or CQ or anything like that. Nowhere that would affect you at all.

    That being said, still not sure why you are taking this as a personal affront and are so angry about it.
    Last edited by ilex011; 02-17-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Personal? No. Obnoxious? yes.

    I don't have any issues with rp, in fact I am in rpr. But I find the fact that folks think this is a pencil and paper dice rolling game to be absurd, especially when they want to sit and proclaim that any other method is "unfair."

    Get over yourselves, that's all I have to say. Pardon if i'm not polite about it but I'm very direct, because frankly, I don't care if I piss them off or not. They are ridiculous.

    You wonder why rprs get trolled? I'll give you a hint. It's not cuz people are mean. You just give them every reason to think you are dumber than a box of rocks. You wonder why trion doesn't protect the rp community? Guess why? You throw their system in the trash rather than learn to use it, then the entire community turns into drama over god modders, unfair players, blah blah blah.

    The system is fair when you use the built in system created by the game makers. That is the ONLY uniform rule. Everything else? House rules. And when it gets to the point where rprs will not participate because you don't use house rules, instead of the official rules, your community splinters.

    Get out of your dims, pull your heads out of your ***** and play the game the way it was designed so that everyone is on the same set of rules and pages, instead of contributing to the problem.

    Sad that I even have to explain this.

    Oh I nearly forgot. The rp community gripes about itself "stagnating".

    Get out into the world and rp while you play, do walkups and add to the experience of the world. Stop hiding in dims, stop worrying about being trolled, and for god's sake. Get OUT of your cliques and start socializing. It brings in fresh folks, and faces. And if you can't do that? stop griping about the lack of public rp if you're not going to contribute to MAKING it without having to "schedule" every damn event. Immersion happens out and about. Not hiding. Events are good, but stop making them the be all, end all. It's bad for our community and makes us look bad to the rest of the RIFT community.

    I dealt with that crap on WoW and wyrmrest accord. This mindset was ridiculous there, and it's ridiculous here.
    Last edited by darkzerofury; 02-17-2014 at 01:26 AM.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Let me clarify: I am not mad but wish people would stop making ridiculous claims about the only fair way being to throw the system in the trash and do it by some half cooked system that spits in the face of people who work for their level and gear, just because that person doesn't have it. It's obnoxious, entitled, and often the folks who do it refuse to play with anyone who actually plays the game the way it was designed. It doesn't contribute anything enriching. Some folks like it? Good for you. It doesn't contribute to enriching the gameplay experience or immersion of the players around you or the rest of the server. It's completely self serving and obnoxious.

    And frankly people who feel the need to trash systems that the rest of us play by, that were given to us by the creators of the game (which rprs are NOT) are as ridiculous as people who complain about lack of lore (but don't read their quests or stories) or folks that just want to be handed level 60s because they dont' want to level another alt, or want to be handed gear because it's "an rp server" and don't think they need to earn it through raiding like everyone else, because "i don't have time to".

    I have no issues blatantly hammering folks on the head like that who stick their head up and start spouting "THROWING AWAY THE SYSTEM TO USE OUR SYSTEM IS THE ONLY FAIR WAY TO RESOLVE COMBAT."

    L2P.

  9. #9
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkzerofury View Post
    Personal? No. Obnoxious? yes.

    I don't have any issues with rp, in fact I am in rpr. But I find the fact that folks think this is a pencil and paper dice rolling game to be absurd, especially when they want to sit and proclaim that any other method is "unfair."

    Get over yourselves, that's all I have to say. Pardon if i'm not polite about it but I'm very direct, because frankly, I don't care if I piss them off or not. They are ridiculous.

    You wonder why rprs get trolled? I'll give you a hint. It's not cuz people are mean. You just give them every reason to think you are dumber than a box of rocks. You wonder why trion doesn't protect the rp community? Guess why? You throw their system in the trash rather than learn to use it, then the entire community turns into drama over god modders, unfair players, blah blah blah.

    The system is fair when you use the built in system created by the game makers. That is the ONLY uniform rule. Everything else? House rules. And when it gets to the point where rprs will not participate because you don't use house rules, instead of the official rules, your community splinters.

    Get out of your dims, pull your heads out of your ***** and play the game the way it was designed so that everyone is on the same set of rules and pages, instead of contributing to the problem.

    Sad that I even have to explain this.

    Oh I nearly forgot. The rp community gripes about itself "stagnating".

    Get out into the world and rp while you play, do walkups and add to the experience of the world. Stop hiding in dims, stop worrying about being trolled, and for god's sake. Get OUT of your cliques and start socializing. It brings in fresh folks, and faces. And if you can't do that? stop griping about the lack of public rp if you're not going to contribute to MAKING it without having to "schedule" every damn event. Immersion happens out and about. Not hiding. Events are good, but stop making them the be all, end all. It's bad for our community and makes us look bad to the rest of the RIFT community.

    I dealt with that crap on WoW and wyrmrest accord. This mindset was ridiculous there, and it's ridiculous here.
    Well okay then. This rant still makes no logical sense as I don't see what a group of 5-10 RPers in their own private guild hall do is any of your business, for example, but keep on raging. Makes the RP community look great too.

    Basically, whether IC or OOC, people will treat you as you treat them, fresh faced and rosy cheeked or not. When you're in an aggressive, pissy mindset, everything is a threat.

    OP: Keep on with creative spins. It's a big world we play in, big enough for all playstyles. If someone doesn't like the way you play, then they can choose to mind their own business and not play with you.

    I'm done here.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    It means nothing. It means that being obnoxious and wasting tons of effort trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just putting that energy into developing your character, getting your gear like everyone else, and leveling and experiencing the content, then adding to the play experience by doing more walkups in the world is more productive than crap like this being spouted.

    No rant here, just pointing out the blatant stupidity and annoyance of folks who write guides like this because they're either incapable or just plain lazy or just want to be a hero of a group of friends to make lowbies like them.

    So yeah. Say what you want. Still a load of ridiculous rubbish and overcomplicating **** instead of just learning to play the game you've chosen to join instead of trying to change all the rules.

  11. #11
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default ok, I wasn't done, heh.

    But... I am pretty sure that this guide was meant only for the subsections of people who are starting to use the private DnD style of combat while sitting around in a dimension; they aren't trying to reinvent the proverbial wheel or anything like that, or surmount the current system. They're just using the Rift world as a backdrop for their own personal games they are doing, just for fun.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Completely fine. But don't go around toting that the only fair way to play the game is to trash the actual system that the makers of the game made. In the end it's THEIR game, not yours.

    We all have to play by the rules to make something fair, and the only FAIR way to determine who's rules should be used is to let the ones creating and providing the game design them. We're players, not the GM's or devs. Gotta act like it ya know?

    What I'm stating simply is the above attitude of the creator of this guide is part of why folks don't take rpr's seriously. And while yes, some of you may just enjoy going "well who cares", I have this to say for you: when you project that kind of image of the community through that kind of behavior, the rest of us have to put up with the fallout too. Think of someone other than yourselves by projecting a better image other than this ******** rubbish attitude that's prevalent in the above guide.
    Last edited by darkzerofury; 02-17-2014 at 02:11 AM.

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara Meowy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    The game lacks open-world pvp with multiple people though.

    This system would solve that issue. With you and your friend being cornered and having to fight five 'bandits' (which you can't do unless you meet specific conditions like you and your friend are Guardians and the five bandits are Defiants or something and turn on PvP)

    I like it, even though I have never tried an actual tabletop RPing.

    Serale@Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts