+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yeuo

Thread: New Rift RPer please help! ^.^

Soulwalker

Default New Rift RPer please help! ^.^

Hey all, Finach here. I've recently taken a strong liking to Rift recently, and after getting into the groove of things like I do with previous MMO's, and now i wish to learn the gist of Rift RP. Currently I have a High Elven Necromancer(And i'm loving it! ;) ) and have questions on how I would be able to RP one. First off, is it too far fetched to RP as a Lich instead of a generic Ascended? In Rift can a Lich be perceived as immortal within reasonable boundaries(Meaning not the dawn of time, but a few centuries passing since undeath)? Also after reading the High Elf lore I noticed the Bloodstorm War, how far back in time did this take place? Would it be too far fetched to base my High Elf around this time period? Currently i am on Greybriar, but am looking at Faeblight for my RP home. I'm looking forward to your responses! Thanks! - Finach

Quote Originally Posted by Finach Darkember View Post
    Hey all, Finach here. I've recently taken a strong liking to Rift recently, and after getting into the groove of things like I do with previous MMO's, and now i wish to learn the gist of Rift RP. Currently I have a High Elven Necromancer(And i'm loving it! ;) ) and have questions on how I would be able to RP one. First off, is it too far fetched to RP as a Lich instead of a generic Ascended? In Rift can a Lich be perceived as immortal within reasonable boundaries(Meaning not the dawn of time, but a few centuries passing since undeath)? Also after reading the High Elf lore I noticed the Bloodstorm War, how far back in time did this take place? Would it be too far fetched to base my High Elf around this time period? Currently i am on Greybriar, but am looking at Faeblight for my RP home. I'm looking forward to your responses! Thanks! - Finach
    1) Yes and no. Well, in theory you could but in practice, the only ability you'd have access to is raising your minions, and popping Lich form yourself. No problem with the former, all Liches generally do that. There is a problem with the second, however- any ability you use is immediately from a Soul you gained when you were chosen by the Vigil to become Ascended. Ergo, you have access to one ability that isn't lore-breaking: summoning your minions. You need to use other abilities to be able to pop Lich form and you do not have access to those, being you would not be Ascended. And no Lich looks like a cute, graceful elf of any kind.

2) I *think* High Elves and Kelari elves live around 600 years I think it was? And if I recall, the Bloodstorm was 2000 years ago or something like that. Not sure on that one.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Soulwalker

Ah, I see. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, and also clarifying a few things for me. I'll have to tweak the story i had brooding in my head for my High Elf. The basic idea I typically had was a sort of "Goodly" Lich if you will. From many other sources of fantasy those with Lich-born status tend to have a sort of illusion magic to mask their appearance to a certain extent. Haha, I'm sorry for all the questions. Different game different audience. That being said, I've done some snooping on the forums and noticed conflicting views regarding RP on Rift. What's your personal opinion on it, and where may I be able to find a decent amount with my current choice of server I will be swapping to? I'm a weekend player due to school and what not, but RP has been one of my passions for a long time and any further assistance will be greatly appriciated!

Rift Disciple

Welcome I'm on Faeblight, but i rarely rp, but i can try to help if you want, There is an rp chan (RPUnited@Faeblight ) that you can join, just type /join RPUnited@Faeblight , some people might even invite you to their dimension when they rp

Soulwalker

Awesome, I'll definitely check that out Friday when i log on. Thanks for the heads up, Yeuo!

Quote Originally Posted by Finach Darkember View Post
    Ah, I see. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, and also clarifying a few things for me. I'll have to tweak the story i had brooding in my head for my High Elf. The basic idea I typically had was a sort of "Goodly" Lich if you will. From many other sources of fantasy those with Lich-born status tend to have a sort of illusion magic to mask their appearance to a certain extent. Haha, I'm sorry for all the questions. Different game different audience. That being said, I've done some snooping on the forums and noticed conflicting views regarding RP on Rift. What's your personal opinion on it, and where may I be able to find a decent amount with my current choice of server I will be swapping to? I'm a weekend player due to school and what not, but RP has been one of my passions for a long time and any further assistance will be greatly appriciated!
    We don't have those kinds of illusions in lore, unfortunately. :/

RP in Rift on Fae is alive and well. Happens in open world at Argent Glade for Guardians, usually in Meridian for Defiants. Most people, though, RP in dimensions. As was said, we have RP Alliance, but I personally don't use it much. My guild is PvP-RP. Like a live action version of Risk, but we are Lawful Good and serve as a refuge of sorts. The Blackwood Company are Chaotic Evil and our sworn enemies but we more or less have a truce. Fury of the Northern Winds are our allies.

You will likely not find much RP if at all on any server other than Fae. We're home to all sorts of different kinds of people. Happy misfits, heh. If you would like to join The Gauntlet, send us an in-game tell when you transfer there (free once a week transfers), and mention that ilexx sent you. I am a high officer in the guild. Do know we are military in structure. If it isn't right for you, no worries.
    Last edited by ilex011; 01-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    Faeblight

And Yeuo is good peeps- they will help you out too. Happy Rifting!
    Faeblight

Soulwalker

Thank you so much for the help! It probably would've been odd just going in blind with my previous backstory. Also, funny that you mention RP-PVP, I adore the pvp in Rift so far, so you can definitely expect me sometime tomorrow. Until then, thanks again!

Plane Touched

I have one very simple piece of advice for you:

Play what you wish, and don't worry about the rest. If someone wants to criticize your lore, if your theory is soundly based in lore, then just do it anyway. There's a lot of critics in rp communities, that claim tolerance and respect but it only comes from doing things in a way they socially accept.

My advice? Ignore all that drama and garbage. Yes, a lich could be a form of Ascension. Maybe not the NORMAL form, but a form. At the end of the day it's your character, play their design as you see fit, just make your theory make sense and let the details sort themselves out later. Too many people overthink all that. We're not game creators, we're players. Only thing we create is our character.

Define your character by who they are, not what they are.

Then, young padawan, you shall be a Jedi Master.

*Flaily hands*

+ Reply to Thread