+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Where is the RP in MMORPG?

Default Where is the RP in MMORPG?

My husband and I are old school dice, pencil, and paper RPGer's from the 80's. I probably just lost a good majority of the readers in that first sentence, since it didn't contain anything sexually explicit. I came here at the request of others in another online RPG. I operate a small but functional guild at the original Guild Wars. If you like the link is set in my profile under Homepage.

Given that MMORPGs are mainly virtual representations of the old TSR D&D roleplaying games that came before them, one might think that RP would be a strong part of the game play. However it seems that RP has issues in Rift communities. Might even say that RP is non-existent.

What is the current state of RP in Rift guild and where are things going in the future?

I experienced within the first week playing a guild several players welcoming you into the guild with immature shouts. I figured I was in the "wrong" guild or maybe I joined the "wrong" server. Sadly I have not found a guild of noteworthy merit. All the servers are spammed or filled with OOC talk or political debates. I know OOC must exist but when I spoke "in character" players either ignore you or take the other extreme and believe you are stating facts. With the usual statements like; Are you high?

Many gamers have lost their creative edge, maybe some never had a creative edge. If there was a RP server you should never see IPWNURMOM running around your server. There aren't any rules and lore has taken a backseat to PvP. I take time to really conceptualize my characters and their history before they came to this level one point in the game. I don't use random name generators or random character generators.

I am not blaming this on Rift and its players, a lot of online games have this issue. Things have become more splintered as the players no longer say MMORPG and now call it MMO. Of course, all games have their casual players too, but can't they play along with us now and then? Today, it seems rare to find an RP flag or sometimes even official RP servers.

Today, there are many online games to choose from, developers are making virtual worlds to explore and item malls to exploit. Not all the games are linear and without imagination and not all are very creative places to role play. The focus seems to be level up fast like a bunny so you can kick butt in PvP or endgame content so you can beat the bosses. With players consuming content so rapidly, RP isnít as much of a development consideration.

I will try again this weekend but I have food to cook and eat. Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating it.

Ah the good old days of using ones imagination with nothing more than a pencil, paper, and dice. Good times, good times. I think there is one RP server left and I haven't a clue what it's like.

On a side note, what was the guild you ran in the original Guild Wars? I still play the original, mostly for the Hall of Monument's stuff for GW2.
    "Wizards First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true." - Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

Sword of Telara

They're not MMORPG's anymore, they're simply MMOG's now, they stopped being MMORPG's way back around the time of dark age of camelot and ever quest, just before hello kitty wow was launched

On Faeblight
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Prophet of Telara

Argent the oficial RP euro server was closed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
    On a side note, what was the guild you ran in the original Guild Wars? I still play the original, mostly for the Hall of Monument's stuff for GW2.
    she post her link in user link above

Wendy, I like the read this story you write good stories I speak poor English

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:...ed_Death_Witch

Rift Disciple

RP is still alive in rift, just not so much in open world. Since the advent of dimensions a lot of activity has moved into them partly due to the advantages of a customized environment and partly for privacy.
    I'm guild founder of a small RP guild on faeblight. We're only around 5 or so active members right now with each person using anywhere from 3-6 alts. We occasionally travel around open world IC but carry out "most" of our in depth character progression in our dims. We got a couple folks who are still actively pen and paper and have some quite talented story tellers. Youre welcome to check out some story bits on our site on enjin or drop by "Thontics pass" or "Warlocks keep" dims.(both still somewhat wip) We're always interested in meeting new folks with similar interest.
    In short, dont lose all faith. The RP is still out there, you just have to dig a little deeper.
    Last edited by Daemun; 11-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Daemun, Graeven, Arnheim, Enterus, Kaael, Kareana
    Socius Amicitia
    Faeblight

I love roleplaying, but it wont be easy to find the right players. Infact probably best bet is make a guild and explain the details and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

I came across so many players that they dont know what the hell they are doing lol, its simple as hack n slash game. I had fun playing time to time, til this idiot multiboxing come along and steal my kills, got in my face and blocking me. So i ask the player please to leave me alone, he/she simply didnt answer.

You will run into problems in all MMO games, just like IRL, that ppls are ignorance or lack of respect.

But sorry i wont stick around much longer or think about hanging out in Rift at this time.

How does one define what role playing is? Is there one definition that we must all agree on? Is speaking Olde English role playing?

Technically all games are RPGs. When you play a game, you are taking up a role and playing. Even SMB and Pong can be classified as role-playing.
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiron View Post
    How does one define what role playing is? Is there one definition that we must all agree on? Is speaking Olde English role playing?

Technically all games are RPGs. When you play a game, you are taking up a role and playing. Even SMB and Pong can be classified as role-playing.

There are different levels of roleplaying, you can stand around doing nothing or hack n slash samn as roleplaying. The others we speak of is more complex than you think, the question is what did you do this morning IRL, that how to roleplay out yourself. But still not much you can do to roleplay in this game, you can try lol.

Soulwalker

On Faeblight (and RP labeled server), there are a good number of RP guilds available. There are also almost nightly RP events where you can go to RP and meet other RPers.

Even though Faeblight is an "RP" server, though, Trion themselves do literally nothing to encourage it. And in just about every game I've played with an RP server, the bulk of the population is still made-up of non-RPers. There are even a handful of folks on Faeblight who make it a point to ridicule and 'crash' RP events if they get the chance to.

I recommend checking out the following website if you are on Faeblight (or want to make a character there for RP purposes).

www.faeblightunited.com

This is a site dedicated to the collection of RP guilds on Faeblight. If you are on a different server, they might have something similar - ask around.

Then I recommend looking at the schedule, making one of the events listed, and jumping in! Within days you will probably find a guild that suits you.

-Groll

P.S. Turn off OOC chat. 99.9999% of it is filled with trolls, idiots, and people generally desperate for attention for whatever reason. It is not policed by Trion, and RPing in the OOC channels will usually get you mocked, even on an RP server.
    Last edited by Groll; 11-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.

I havent use OOC in a long time, since playing player made world for NeverwinterNights, missed the good ol' times back then.

Rift Chaser

I would be open to roleplaying if the lore given in Rift was any good. Even when I played LOTRO, I laughed at people who roleplayed there because no one took it seriously either except a few diehard roleplayers. Also, people don't play online games to roleplay anymore because with f2p you can just hop in and out of games instead of establishing a unique identity and reputation for yourself in a game.

Perhaps what i said above is flawed, but yeah if you roleplay in Rift, almost no one is going to take you seriously and will just move on and do whatever else there is to do.

"microtransactions done properly is game design done poorly." - Some dude on an internet forum

There's a long story here. A week or so ago, I would have just pointed out that historically, Trion has completely ignored people harassing/griefing RPers, but then, they have also been completely ignoring other kinds of abuse for a long time. About a week ago, people started reporting GMs showing up in chat and intervening for various things, so I think things may be about to get better.

There is an RP community, at least on Faeblight, and it's... Well, it's an RP community. There may be a slight tendency towards drama, but a lot of the people are pretty cool.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

Everytime i want to play serious RP i'm starting a small client ... This client pops a window filled with 2D content and beautiful sprites ... I walk into the kitchen and make myself a cup of hot chocolate with a shot of southern comfort and/or amaretto.
    Then i walk back sit down infront of my PC and look at the words on my screen (which were popped by the small client).

On the screen there are the words:

WELCOME TO ULTIMA ONLINE

This is the only game EVER made which gave me the feeling to be free and do RP like the old days.
    The only mmoRPG that gave me the freedome i need for RP.
    I could be anything, i can do nearly anything i want to do "the RP-way".
    There are hundreds of free UO-RP shards out there ...
    Of course UO doesnt have fancy High Resolution graphics, vor even 3D graphics ... But i had and i still have thousands of wonderfull hours by playing this game ... the one and only mmorpg with true Sandbox gameplay (okay depending on what type of shard you are).
    Its old but there are still people out there playing it and on a free shard you could even build a part of the world ... Playercities, some are small villages ... some are big cities.

If you are realy into RP ... Try some UO RP shards ... every other game (in terms of RP) is just unsatisfactory ...
    Last edited by Albyr; 11-28-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: autocorrect hates me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast