+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Talila
  • 1 Post By Fembot

Thread: Question about Defiants and "new" Ascended

Soulwalker

Default Question about Defiants and "new" Ascended

It's been roughly two years or so since the first Ascended Defiant came back in time from the Terminus timeline, I think. In that span of time, have the Defiants figured out how to create Ascended from the blueprints that were brought back?

I ask this because I'm working on a background for my character, but the background I'm thinking of would only work if they had been Ascended recently. Having every character come from the Terminus timeline kind of narrows your possibilities, in my opinion at least.

Ascendant

Well... according to the live stream a few weeks back we all, no matter when you start the game, you will come from the future. They said the storyline of rift is suppose to be linear in time line.... IE the story of Stonefield happens just after Freemarch..

That said, I know many RP'ers who are using the premise that defiants of our time line would have been delivered the blueprints - thus allowing Defiants creation at other times.

Same thing for Guardians. According to the Live stream, All guardians come from the past. Although we don't have a way to make new ascended guardians, there is a storyline that shows its possible for the vigil to ascend new guardians.

Soulwalker

I see... Isn't that a bit stupid though? Having everyone come from the future? What did they do? Send hundreds of thousands of Defiant Ascended back?

Not to mention if you appeared now, you would have appeared when all the dragons except for Crucia have been defeated. Why would they send you back to that point in time?

The only way that would work is by saying Freemarch is "two years ago" and each zone moves up the timeline bit by bit. So, according to my character, whom is in Moonshade, none of the dragons are dead. It would also mean I couldn't rp with anyone higher level than me because that would make them from the future....

I think it's important to stress that the loredev takes game mechanics as lore - in order for people to have different backgrounds, they would have to create more starting experiences (= more starting zones like terminus)

We can't use that for bother-all in RP, we are all individual characters with individual stories, no additional zones needed for RP to happen. If you want to RP successfully in Rift, you need to not take the game mechanics as facts. You need to be inspired by them, but not directly copy them (so for example, a level 53 health potion will never heal all of your illnesses ever in one go because your health-bar is full)

Taking that into account, the RP community has through the years developed extensive amounts of fan-on to cover for Rifts shortcomings when it comes to RP. The ascension is finite rule was overruled very quickly, after you see Sir Martyn become ascended in the Stillmoor questline, you will be more aware of the hole in the lore there. We all jumped through it on guardian side, and on defiant side people likewise found more life-forges about in the world (most recently there seems to be one in tempest bay of all places) and as such concluded that in the present time, especially since The One Ascended brought through the blueprints to ascension, the defiants must know how to ascend.

The general agreement tends to be, when we talk about quests/dungeons/raid content is that there is One Great Ascended (per faction) who is the mother of all heroes (not literally) and does amazeball stuff that we icly hear about. In the case of dungeons, five, ten or twenty of these fixed npc people show up to kill bad things such as dragons. They're heroes, but we do not know their names, and we leave it to the Dev team to "play their roles" - regard it as their characters, same thing goes for the rest of the npc's.

^ This opens up the floodgate of ideas for backgrounds that are possible when you are not the one who's saving the universe. You can of course help that along, but you can be as mortal or as ascended as you want, you can come from where you want and you can have whatever morality you want. Just remember to listen to the world (so, quests) and get inspired - If you think a soul is cool, work in variations of it's skills into your characters personal book of tricks, if you notice a cute quest story you can retell it around the bonfire, but most importantly the basics will fall into place one by one.

TL;DR: Game mechanics are not always lore, when you are a roleplayer and sense needs to somehow be worked into anything. Use this responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by NithyaLiadon View Post
    I see... Isn't that a bit stupid though? Having everyone come from the future? What did they do? Send hundreds of thousands of Defiant Ascended back?

Not to mention if you appeared now, you would have appeared when all the dragons except for Crucia have been defeated. Why would they send you back to that point in time?

The only way that would work is by saying Freemarch is "two years ago" and each zone moves up the timeline bit by bit. So, according to my character, whom is in Moonshade, none of the dragons are dead. It would also mean I couldn't rp with anyone higher level than me because that would make them from the future....
    This sort of problem has existed on some level for every MMO that's had expansions. Rift's case just seems to be more broadbrush than most.

For my part, being one of those picky types who tries to work with the official word as much as possible, I assumed that my character showed up at launch just like everyone else, and then accepted a boring-but-necessary post until now. This could be time spent devoted to crafting, research, training others or whatever the character in question considers to be a central skill.

I also work under the assumption that the "we're in the future" part of the story isn't very long, and since Defiant ascended are grabbed from the soulstream it's easy to write a whole backstory during whatever time and under whatever circumstances you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fembot View Post
    I also work under the assumption that the "we're in the future" part of the story isn't very long, and since Defiant ascended are grabbed from the soulstream it's easy to write a whole backstory during whatever time and under whatever circumstances you like.
    i think this is probably the best approach in working a storyline out.
    "There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."

Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

+ Reply to Thread