+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Milyssa
  • 1 Post By Fembot

Thread: Faeblight Locked for transfters - harming the community?

Ascendant

Default Faeblight Locked for transfters - harming the community?

I wanted an opinion, not that our opinions can move mountains, but they might be heard. To preface this - I don't know what the EU RP shard is like - population wise... my experience is faeblight only.

I'm worried that because Faeblight, the ONLY RP shard on either of the NA clusters, is closed for further character creation/transfers, the community may suffer in the long run.

If a new player wanted to come and check out the community, they would not be able to join it. They would have to build on one of the other shards and join the RPunited chat channel, maybe getting lucky with dimension RP if someone would invite them. But their interaction with the RP guilds, and spontaneous RP would be limited at best.

I know people, RP'er and non-RP'ers alike, adore faeblight, causing it to be full to bursting point. Even though it is full I don't believe locking was a wise solution, in light of the unique shard tag. With the shard locked, new RP'ers will not get the experience they are looking for and may not stick around to find out if they'd enjoy the game better on Faeblight.

Maybe there are some incentives out there (non-game breaking of course) that could get people motivated to transfer off the shard to make room for the RP'ers. I don't want to force the non-RP'ers to leave the community they helped build - and really, there is no way to do that because how would the computer know who was/was not an RP'er. Maybe if the incentive was right, they might decided it is the right choice for them.

And of course, the people leaving will create a hole that would easily be filled by Non-RP'ers because, just as it was for asking people to transfer off, there is no way to know who is transferring in - an RP'er or a Non-RP'er.

*sighs* I think the whole thing would have been solved so much more smoothly if they opened up a second RP shard... either a third in addition to Hailol and Necropolis or by giving Hailol RP tags. Then the RP community could stretch out a bit and new RP'ers could feel comfortable on either shard and know they would have the opportunity to find like minded people. In that way, even if no one from Faeblight transferred off, new RP people would be welcome on an RP shard and if RP'ers did want to transfer off, they would have a home. Even then though, it might have been a sticky widget because no one, RP-er's or otherwise, seem to want to move off their home shard. No one wants to leave the community.

But give us a new RP shard, and I'd bet there would be new RP guilds on it within a week... ready to create a second, just as awesome community.

EDIT TO ADD : wow sorry for the novel.
    Last edited by Milyssa; 06-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    I'm worried that because Faeblight, the ONLY RP shard on either of the NA clusters, is closed for further character creation/transfers, the community may suffer in the long run.
    Locked to incoming transfers != Locked to creating new characters

New characters can be made on Faeblight.

Ascendant

oh really? didn't work for a friend of mine, but maybe something changed. If that's so, then my worry is moot.

It seems weird though that you could create someone new but not transfer onto the shard. Both take up a spot on the "how many people can be on the shard" count.

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    oh really? didn't work for a friend of mine, but maybe something changed. If that's so, then my worry is moot.

It seems weird though that you could create someone new but not transfer onto the shard. Both take up a spot on the "how many people can be on the shard" count.
    Not really. Because if you are using an alt, you are still limited to using one at a time, so you are not really adding to the actual population of the shard only to the number of characters on that shard. If that makes sense.

Ascendant

That's what I thought too anersha. But hat is only if your already a resident. Which doesnt help the new players. They can't make a character because they don't have one already. So in this way it is closed to transfers and new characters
    Last edited by Milyssa; 06-20-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Oh really? They locked down Faeblight? I didn't even know that! I'm glad I got my friend to join before the lock! And people were calling to lock Icewatch, yet they didn't? When did they lock Faeb?

I agree, if the only RP shard is locked for transfers or character creation, then they should either get bigger servers to allow for a larger population or create a 2nd RP shard.

Things like this strike me as choices made for long-term benefit at the expense of short-term loss. While a new player's first server choice often sticks in the long run, I also have my doubts about Rift maintaining two active RP servers once the initial "hey the game is free" buzz dies down.

After all, there was more than one RP server at launch, with Faeblight packed to the rafters.

I hate telling people to wait as much as anyone, but this is probably the best out of a list of bad choices. (With word of pervasive latency issues, I wouldn't think a raise in population cap feasible.) The hidden benefit is that those who really want to be on Faeblight, whether to roleplay or to enjoy the playerbase, invariably will come when the tide recedes again. Some trolls will too, but probably not as many.

Yea.. I was feeling like getting back into the RP scene after about a year of laying low, but my characters are all on a different server and they closed off transfers right after I decided to move.

I honestly hope they either open a new RP shard (which most likely won't happen), or they do something about the overpopulation of Faeblight.

I'd honestly be happy if they'd simply transfer the non-RP guilds/groups off Faeblight. Sadly, a number of them stay on FB simply because we have a better community than some of the other shards. A forcible exodus might be nice, however, and cure our overpopulation problem.

Ascendant

the trouble with transferring off non-rp'ers is Trion can't know who is and who isn't an RP'er. so it would take a lot of manual work. And if it's a "please move we'll give you internet points if you choose to".. well, it's still dependent on everyone doing it themselves - which doesn't seem to work.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/ 715am EST (so 4am on the west coast) and Faeblight is currently High.

while i regret the lockdown for other rp'rs and i dont think forcible evictions are a good option, it does strike me that opening the server would really only bring in more non-rp folk.

i spose im saying that in the short term i dont know that it will help.

i will say that running a lot of nonrp dungeon groups lately everyone seems hell bent on endgame. which means the locusts are going to burn through the content so fast that they may not remain in game for more than 3 months or so. i would predict a drop on the lock in the next month or so.
    "There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."

Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

+ Reply to Thread