+ Reply to Thread

Thread: interest in a focused Race RP guild?

Ascendant

Default interest in a focused Race RP guild?

I had written a whole lovely in character message calling for support, but I guess it was too much like a guild recruitment notice (and I guess it was)

I wonder if there is anyone interested in Focused Race RP guilds? I am starting one on Faeblight for High Elves who embrace Tavril and work to preserve their ancient culture. I'm looking for places to find founding members.

I don't know where better to put a notice like this than the RP forum. Hopefully this general question will be aloud to stay, as I don't know many RP'ers who visit the guild recruit sections.

Ascendant

OH! I should also note I'm on Faeblight and you can message me here in this thread, PM, or /tell me in game on Anneliese or Anneleigh

I'm surprised there aren't more to be honest, though it is highly likely due to the lower populations.

The only issue with guilds like this (and the one I'm founding on Argent) is that they are Niche guilds, so rarely grow to significant numbers. If you are okay with a small guild, or perhaps even a guild with quite a few alts, then I would say go for it.

Mine is a religious guild that will accept only female characters, I fully expect there to be only a few mains as members, though guilds like our offer people the opportunity to try a character type they may never have considered before.
    6/8 Large Dominos Pizza
    8/12 Krispy Kreme Box
    1/4 Pounder ...

Wait .. we don't list food raids in sigs?

Ascendant

I know the neich thing first hand... I was part of an all dwarf guild for about 9 months before it closed up shop.

I hope that with F2P we get some more people who might like to try RP, or some more vets from other games. Whatever the case, population increased can only be good.

I saw your post, Annie, what happened to it?
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Ascendant

they moved it to Faeblight specifically, which is funny, since I did post it into faeblight as well. Now there are two threads there saying essentially the same thing, and none but this one here where it actually could do some good.

I had one person message me. I'm not crazy about general chat spam, but I may have to build a macro. Trick is .... well, finding one that stands out among all the garbage.

could you give more details on the 'ancient culture' part?

i started a high elf on Faeblight as more of a nativist/aboriginal style. so some kind of aboriginal elvish culture drawing from stereotypical elvish things as well as first people's culture in this world.
    certainly haven't gotten it all worked out. one good thing is it being fantasy and elvish there's plenty of room for blending ideas and little room to actually offend those who actually were raised in real world first nation's cultures.
    "There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."

Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Ascendant

Well, they have a history of being nomadic and forest wardens. I am exploring the ceremonies/rituals now etc. This is very hard as Rift hasn't focused much on them directly. Eth, Kelari, and dwarves, for example, have zones devoted to their lore. High Elves, do not. So it will be a matter of digging in to the artifact sets and little pieces of NPC speech to get the answers.

For example, I remember during the first summer of Rift, one guild held a squirrel festival, because there was an artifact referring to it. That is the kind of thing I'd like to research and develop.

I don't know much - yet. That will have to be worked out. I think it will be a matter of finding all we can and then building from the lore, bringing pieces in from classical elves if need be, without loosing any of the actual Telaran elves.

Hi there! We talked a little bit about lorehunting on another forum, and I figured I'd post what tidbits I found here.

Silverwood is technically a High Elf zone lorewise, but as there's no "hey it's a High Elf town" sort of thing there I found things more by luck than anything. There are two NPCs - Brougan Grote in northern Argent Glade and Cerys Amare just outside the Blunted Quilll - who have dialogue options that yield good results.

Summarized tidbits:

Overwatch Keep
    This was the one static seat of power in the time between the Blood Storm and the Shade War. High Elves and their allies gathered here out of necessity, then decided to keep the place. House Aelfwar remained there while Shyla and her followers went to aid the Mathosians, and still control the place now. As an interesting sidenote, Hylas is referred to as "a prince" rather than "the prince" which leaves room for some speculation on governance.

High Elf Council
    Now based in Sanctum, this organization gets some pretty frequent mention. Membership is mixed gender. Aside from that I haven't gleaned anything beyond a generic "we like to check up on things 'round here."

Sacred Groves
    At least two quests have you travel to a High Elf holy site in the forest to meet a spirit guide in the form of a deer. These sites are deemed important enough for House Aelfwar to mess with them, so I think it's safe to say these places are Kind of a Big Deal culturally.

And in case you're consolidating things, here are the dialogues in question:

Quote Originally Posted by Brougan Grote
    The Guardian leaders in Sanctum appointed me Steward of Argent Glade years ago. It is a duty I've come to enjoy.

> What is Overwatch Keep?

Overwatch Keep looms over Argent Glade to the east. It was once the meeting place of Telara's races when they joined forces to defeat Regulos and the Blood Storm. It soon became the seat of High Elf government, and the town of Argent Glade grew alongside it.

> Is the High Elf Council still here?

The High Elf council moved to Sanctum when we joined the Guardians, but a powerful prince named Hylas Aelfwar dissented. He argued that joining the Guardians would only make the High Elves weak in the fight against the Wanton Hordes. Prince Hylas refused our pleas for unity and remained at the Keep, gradually building an army of adherents that he calls House Aelfwar.

> What is the Aelfwar situation now?

It is a fragile peace we have, but I fear a storm is coming. If Prince Hylas's power is allowed to grow, I shudder to imagine what horrors he wound unleash in a misguided attempt to protect Silverwood from Wanton flames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerys Amare
    I've been dispatched here by the High Elf Council at Sanctum to keep an eye on the conflicts to the north.

> What is the Mirror of Ages?

The Mirror of Ages is a sacred place for the High Elves. Deep within the grove lies a pool of pure water, from which rises an ancient petrified statue of the first prophet of Tavril, the goddess of the land. It has long been a sanctuary where adherents could pray to Tavril and often hear a response in the whispering canopies.

House Aelfwar has invaded this sacred grove, however, and we are afraid that they have begun desecrating the Mirror of Ages. Our connection to Tavril will be weakened unless we find a way to stop them.

Ascendant

That's very cool info. I'd also recommend people find the artifact set of history of high elves.

as for this guild, I killed it. I'm one of those who needs to feel very connected to a race before I lead a guild... I couldn't put in that love. <3

Yeah, I can definitely relate there. While there's certainly potential to make a strong High Elf-centered concept, I for one am not generally into the longears. But hey, any excuse to lore hunt, right?

At any rate, best of luck with whatever project you choose to pursue next!

just curious if you were still working on this. ive still got my nativist high elf i play and rp on occasion with.
    "There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."

Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

+ Reply to Thread