+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ulthran

Thread: One RP question

Rift Disciple

Default One RP question

First of all, hi! I am not new(I played beta-all of them, Save the cbts), but there has been an issue that has been bugging me ever since I first created a character on Argent back in beta. Still am on Argent

Anyhow to cut to the chase:

I have an issue with what you are in Rift. As in an undead/clone(god-forsaken/damned unnatural things). And no, no amount of Ascended dribble will make me change my opinion after those god awful tutorials(imo). So, could I tell that the tut was only a vision(a dream, an Omen, a portent, whatever)? And act if my actual leveling is The Ascension? Instead of those horrible notions from tutorial. I am highly creative and will think of a way, it's just that I wanted to see if this is lore-friendly. I tell you, the day my character(s) ascend will be glorious, for I play in semi-Hardcore mode( ;) ). That only helps the immersion...

So, what'll it be?

Not sure this will fly with lore. Like the tutorials or not, you ARE already an Ascended. You can RP how much you hate it, you can attempt RP to deny it (so where do those nifty soul talents come from then?), but no, you're Ascended, Ascended. It's already happened.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Rift Disciple

Talents as in a soul tree?

That's easy! Training!

Now with that said, I take a lore of games I play as a mould. So I can...shape it how I see it and for it to still fit. It's like...solving an equation-you can massacre it how you see fit, as long as the results are ok. Anyhow, enough of weird stuff.

What if...your character was just badly injured and then some power healed him? Think Talos Roda. Personally, I can weave my stories. It's just that I don't want to be forced to Act the way I don't like to act.

Besides, who cares? Most of you would enjoy RPing with me anyhow. And is not like Trion's like Games Workshop or anything(they, GW, would delete your character if they found out that you were breaking the lore rules). It is about how it's told and not what it's told. All for fun eh

(just need to learn to properly use emotes is all)

With RP in mind, you most definitely do not want to take the tutorials as events that have happened to your character. On that regard, you need to separate game mechanics from your RP a bit more - this also goes for the soul system. The souls serve more as an inspiration for RP abilities.
    The reason why you can't really say that the toturial happened to you IC, is because then everyone would have the same background story, which kills individualism and really just ends what is fun about most RP. You can't all be following the same story, it causes awkward situations such as "Oh so you also single handedly defeated the Hag..? Well.. Uh.. but I did that.. you must be an imposter! Liar!" etc.
    We know there are both ascended and non-ascended in Telara, and I would consider it alright to roleplay at a non-ascended, however you need to be aware that ascended always beats non-ascended ("mortals") when it comes to raw strength and magical ability - so on that regard you're looking to outsmart them instead.

So really, create a background that fits what you want with your character, and so on. There are many fine guides and templates you can use about (look in the stickies) - and welcome back to Argent

If we look at the lore only, then the tutorials weigh more, and of course are correct in that sense - but there's reading the lore because you have to RP in the setting, and then there's reading the lore because it's a great story. What makes it a great story doesn't always make sense in RP, and in those cases the RP'er has to make modifications so that it can be justified.
    Last edited by Talila; 05-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks Tal!

Now off topic: Clandestine-that sounds familiar. Were you present in Warhammer online? Karak-Norn if I am not mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulthran View Post
    Thanks Tal!

Now off topic: Clandestine-that sounds familiar. Were you present in Warhammer online? Karak-Norn if I am not mistaken...
    No we were not, however the word clandestine means secret/hidden and is used in other places. We recently found out there's a clandestine cake club in existence O.o

Rift Disciple

Had to check. I knew tis just a word, but my TSW experience with Illuminati and all so I just wanted to make sure.

+ Reply to Thread