+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Milyssa

Thread: Asked a question about RP support in a F2P world during Trion's AMA

Rift Disciple

Default Asked a question about RP support in a F2P world during Trion's AMA

[–]ak_brian 2 points 36 minutes ago
    RiftDevTeam -
    I know the population is small, but historically your RP community has been some of your staunchest supporters; and have done much to maintain a good game community. With only one server tagged "RP" remaining, and the high number of non-rp players on it, it is already beleaguered by non-rpers, many of whom make an ongoing effort to ruin the enjoyment of people on the RP server doing RP.

You already have shown a very lax attitude towards supporting them, and somewhere have it stated that beyond some general name enforcement (which you don't do, by the way) there is no additional consideration to rp players.
    With the way F2P brings an even higher level of lowbrow players, will there be any attempt at all to support the rp community? And if so, can you comment on the level of support. Maybe actually doing name-enforcement? Not that I don't love characters named testicularcancer running around... Or will you provide an higher level of segregation for the RP server?

[–]RIFTDevTeamRIFT Dev Team2 points 5 minutes ago
    We love the creativity and enthusiasm many of you on Faeblight & Argent have for RIFT and the world of Telara, but we are not going to do any additional segregation of our players. I would highly suggest that you don't think of new players as "low brow" - it takes the community to make the community. - Bill Fisher, Creative Director

[–]ak_brian 1 point 259 milliseconds ago
    While I appreciate the response, you've clearly not paid attention to the quality of players that you see flock to f2p games. While some are great players, many just spend the day trolling everyone else.

So, that's okay though, I can understand not doing a p2p server. How about the basic level of support? See the "it's up to the community" process (similar to the committee leadership system) only works if the final power ever steps in and makes a decision. We talk to people, respond to their trolling, and advise name suggestions and the sort all day long. Day in, day out. If they get real bad, we report them. Day in, day out.

Nothing is ever done by your GM team. The community has no real ability to maintain quality on our "RP" server.
    Last edited by ZeroMGA; 05-14-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Ascendant

I really can't agree that a lot of the players on Faeblight are trolling RP. I've noticed the opposite really. Those on Faeblight who don't RP have been nothing but respectful. There are the bad apples, but put them on ignore before they ruin the whole pie.

Hopefully they will go back to enforcing their naming rules. AND it's up to US to report the blatant ones.
    With all else they do (triage bug reports, etc), how else will they know? A player must change names after numerous people report. Not just one. If you are on Fae, do your part. We pride ourselves on our community, remember?

PS- Native Faeblightian here, haven't noticed RP trolling personally. If it's happened, it was short-lived. As I've said, I spent 2 days in Silverwood helping new peeps and only saw 1 inappropriate name. The others seem to be here because they either RP (indicated by their reaction to me), or because they prefer the vibe of an RP server.
    Last edited by ilex011; 05-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    There are the bad apples, but put them on ignore before they ruin the whole pie.
    Maybe a larger ignore list will be for sale in the in game store.

FWIW, I have seen some amazing RP communities in F2P games. I'm not worried about the F2P aspect. I would like to see a little more encouragement to play nice, but the F2P thing doesn't change my feelings much.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Any influx of bad apples will only recede with time, I bet. I'll admit, I'm a new F2P player too (Well, I have the full game twice, but meh), but I try to just mind my own business. I'd RP (I'm no noob when it comes to that), but I have no idea where to start. Most people give you the cold shoulder at best, if you try to start any RP.
    Ex incendia et flamma.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias View Post
    Most people give you the cold shoulder at best, if you try to start any RP.
    Unfortunately years of being pestered in other games have made some roleplayers prone to ignoring people who come off as unserious, and a lot of new roleplayers tend to get caught in that there because of the typical beginners' mistakes that everyone ends up doing at least once.
    I don't play on Faeblight, and I am probably not awake in your prime time either (other side of the world, woo) but I would love to give you a few pointers in a PM if you'd like.

I transferred back to Argent only 2 days ago and have enjoyed some excellent RP, even though the community there doesn't know me any more. I have the advantage of being a seasoned roleplayer across many MMO's and even further back with pen and paper (Anyone old enough to remember 2E DnD?)

Due to trolling a LOLrp or God emoting, many RP communities form a tightly knit group. This doesn't mean that it's impossible to play with them, it only means that there are usually a few standards for rp that the community has agreed to.

If you are finding that you are being given the cold shoulder, my suggestion is that you take a step back, look over your character (being Asha catari's sister or the love child of Shyla will win you no favours), take a look at the background you have too. If you can't see anything wrong then send a whisper to one of the players and ask for advice.

Most roleplayers (myself especially) love welcoming newer players and helping them to discover roleplay. I enjoy teaching them the standards that communities have agreed to, I take great enjoyment from helping them to develop a meaningful and interesting character and/or guild. You may even find yourself dragged into a storyline simply because you took a moment to ask someone for advice.

Edit: It would also be helpful to find out if there are is an rp chat channel or open RP events in a dimension that you can attend, I met 3 new players in 1 hour at an event, even though I was sitting in a dark corner ;P
    Last edited by Eylisia; 06-04-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    6/8 Large Dominos Pizza
    8/12 Krispy Kreme Box
    1/4 Pounder ...

Wait .. we don't list food raids in sigs?

Haha, thanks guys. Nah, I'm not Asha's second cousin-twice-removed's-sister's-brother's-roommate or anything. I figure I'm just really bad at approaching people. ^^;

I'd pretty decent at RP, but I feel there's a big difference between RPing at the D&D table and RPing with strangers in an MMO.

..Uhm, anyways, sorry for dragging the thread off-topic a bit. o_o;; I'll stop.
    Ex incendia et flamma.

Ascendant

One issue with RPing is that if you're new to it, you can be absolutely terrified to ask about it. During my tenure on Faeblight, I didn't see a single person advertising to accept players into RP stories, and the RiftRP channel was totally dead.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Soulwalker

Why mind the trollers? Just stay on your character and try to troll them back. Eventually they will stop, if they see you don't mind them. I know because I trolled rp server on WoW back in the days.

Just ignore, or try to make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    ...and the RiftRP channel was totally dead.
    RPUnited is a great deal more active. More or less continuous chat there, with fairly frequent RP queries and invitations.
    Of course they sent you back from one of the futures in which we failed, Defiant. Why would they return you from one of those in which we succeeded?

+ Reply to Thread