+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xenoheart

Thread: Time of death paradox

Default Time of death paradox

As I was working on a background with a friend, and something came up that I was unsure about. He was looking through history looking for interesting times that his character could die. He considered having his character die in the original timeline when Meridian got sacked. However, if he did so, when he is returned to present time through the defiant starting area, he'd have come back to a time when he hadn't died yet. Would that cause there to be two versions of him? What kind of paradox would this cause?

I am not as familiar with defiant lore, but I do know that asha katari died during the shade, as people on both sides of the war died, which was before the current time line. So I always assumed my defiant charactors died along with her in the past, was ressurected in the future, and sent to the present. thats just my lore, but yes, if you pick a time after the current time, then you'd have a problem

The problem is a couple parts fold actually...

1) You have two of you. which you could do by making a second charactor same look...except he'd be an ascended which doesnt work out...

2) And because of that your second charactor can't actually die...(with one exception)...to be ressurected by the machines....

3) The only way your second charactor could die for real real is if he was in port scion when the machines went off that crucia used that could actually kill an ascended and disabling their ability to return to life.

Anyway I'm not sure the exact solution for you, but hopefully those are a few things you can toy with.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

I would not even attempt to go with anything like that. The alternative timeline was closed off the moment that the first defiant got in with the blueprints to the lifeforges - and our timeline has now progressed so far, with such radical events taking place (Regulos being dead is the big thing here), there'd be no way the other timeline could possibly happen. As such the other timeline doesn't exist anymore, and there would be no "other him" to pluck from the soulstream, so if he did not die in our timeline he wouldn't be able to ascend in it either.

I hope that makes some degree of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    I would not even attempt to go with anything like that. The alternative timeline was closed off the moment that the first defiant got in with the blueprints to the lifeforges - and our timeline has now progressed so far, with such radical events taking place (Regulos being dead is the big thing here), there'd be no way the other timeline could possibly happen. As such the other timeline doesn't exist anymore, and there would be no "other him" to pluck from the soulstream, so if he did not die in our timeline he wouldn't be able to ascend in it either.

I hope that makes some degree of sense.
    I would agree with this one even more so than my response. We killed regulos, which would be a larger paradox than your own. My defiant died in the shade and was ressurected and brought back to this time line. Thats really the only way I can resolve all the paradoxes.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I would agree with this one even more so than my response. We killed regulos, which would be a larger paradox than your own. My defiant died in the shade and was ressurected and brought back to this time line. Thats really the only way I can resolve all the paradoxes.
    I would also refer to the crazy guy (the name eludes me.. Was it Tom?) in Sanctum who is babbling nonesense. He received visions (I believe) of the events in Lanterns Hook (which is yet another alternative outcome, where Maelforge wins) - From just receiving visions he's gone absolutely insane, IF something such as the OP mentions was to be carried out, I for one would not expect a sane individual to come out of it.

I think this is a job for the Luteces
    Nope.

I believe what everyone is struggling with is this is a "Bootstrap paradox" which was kindly solved by the 10th Doctor

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... Stuff"

In all seriousness though. I responded to this on a 15 minute break. Now I can answer a little more fully.

But first a question. Has the Defiant starting area changed to reflect that by lore, Regulos was defeated and unable to cause the apocalyptic future?

Assuming that it wasn't then yes. There could be two of "you". The mundane and the Ascended. If you chose to go find yourself you could interact.

I see no problem with what the OP want to do, because in RIFT time is not linear.
    What we do in Terminus with Orphiel's machine is not time travel on the same timeline, but going back by changing timelines. Our present as an ascended is not the present from our original timeline, so we can build another future.
    The original timeline still exists, as a sliver, and there are an infinity of timelines in the reality. Tom is mad because he was given a glimpse of all the timelines at the same time.
    So the OP cannot meet his other self, because the two versions are not on the same timeline. The character will live a new life, with the bridge broken and Meridian still intact. The only paradox is in his memory, because he remembers things which will not happen in this timeline.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

+ Reply to Thread