• 2 Post By Milyssa
  • 1 Post By Sywyn
  • 2 Post By Milee
  • 1 Post By Talila
  • 1 Post By Milyssa

Thread: Ascended Creation, Lore Live Stream Q/A, and your RP characters

Ascendant

Default Ascended Creation, Lore Live Stream Q/A, and your RP characters

So guys.... CaptinCursor and Elrar mentioned that (to paraphrase) "the era in which Ascended were created is finite."

How does this effect your own RP story?

Annie and Linny are fine. They were both created as ascended during the guardian starting zone. However, my newest rogue was going to have a birth and ascension after Hammerknell was cleared (IE very recent)

But I guess this isn't possible, given what CaptinCursor said.

Are you ignoring this new piece of information, does it effect your RP characters? And, I thought there was a storyline in Stillmoor that had someone ascended newly... I can't remember who.. but Kain killed him (spoiler sorry).

Telaran

For my main it doesn't really effect it so much, Kirdan did die during the onset of the shade. Though he didn't experience the big guardian intro he came onto the scene again 3-5 years before the present time of the game (he could have been ascended with the rest and just moping about/not joining the rest of the charge vs the rift). For future characters, it throws the spanner into the works for the sake of lore matching game mechanics.

The fact that the ghost of Carwin ascends Ser Martyn in Stillmoor shows that it can be done. I'm taking it lightly for the sake of things.

Except for my guardian, who died in the war like so many and was acended, my Defiants all go against that rule. Since the souls are "hand-picked" they can technically come from any time. I have an Eth who comes from the golde age of the Eth Empire and bahmi who lived in the canyons before... what ever happened there. And I think that the Defiant introduction is a bit too... theatrical. As if you are the sole hope of humanity, as if all came back from time.

As much as I stick to lore the best I can, I think this one "rule" I'll have to ignore.

Back when I created my main character for Rift, I knew there would be a risk that the ascension would be finite (Missdoomcookie hinted at this for defiants), but for the sake of making a character that could feel more diverse I decided to bend it, and I have been with every character since then. As a roleplayer, it does not sit well with me that every ascended out there has the same ascended starting point, it kills a lot of the diversity and limits in a way that I do not feel is needed. When I later discovered the storyline with Sir Martyn and where he is Ascended, I saw myself inspired to think that it must mean guardian ascension still happens, and maybe even at a semi-frequent rate as the world is still in danger.
    Questlore is something that over the time I've roleplayed here have gotten used to interpretating to fit a world of many many ascended, instead of the solo-view it feels like it's being aimed at (That you are -the one and only- hero ascended, -you- are doing these deeds and no one else), so the fact that it now sounds more like "No, everyone goes through this" I find myself in a bit of an inner conflict with what to go with. Roleplayability and diversity versus following the lore as the lore is.

From a roleplayers standpoint, if we are to follow the lore as it's laid out to us by the lore-dev, it's going to be a very odd world to play in. I love Telara and what has been created so far, there's no doubt about that they've done a great job - but it's just not friendly for roleplayers if we are to follow the picture that was painted yesterday.

So what am I going to do with my now lore-bending characters? Well, I am not going to rewrite them to fit this. On my server there's a widespread tendency to go for backgrounds where ascension still occurs on both sides of the fence, which is giving us a great wealth of diverse characters - So I am confident enough to call it a something that has to be done from a roleplayers point of view, to get things to work properly. It's the same way that whilst the lore suggests we can return to our bodies after a little 2-3 minute walk after dying, we're generally treating the term "death" a bit more seriously so as not to puncture the point of conflict roleplay (Fights would take years.. Literally).

Ascendant

I'm pleased to hear that you all are on the same side of the fence as I am.... that from an RP perspective, it just makes more sense if people are ascended at times they feel are important to their character.... rather than a mish mosh from one single moment in history.

As a guardian, I have RP'd that I was ascended at that time and witnessed the distruction, but went on to live a life of somewhat normal time scale for the past 20 years... and then all of a sudden the messangers appear.

But as I've read above, and as I agree.... it can't be that way for all of us. Not every single character will have killed kongeegon or the Hag. It's just not possible. So I've RP'd that I've done none of those things and only heard about it from afar. ((I write about it in my blog as if THAT character has done all those things.... she's the Hero Ascended that my RP characters in game have heard about))

Rift Disciple

I'm uh... Pretty much going to ignore it completely.

Not that it effects my own character stories, I actually rolled almost all of my characters at launch, and constructed all their stories from the "start point" provided there. Instead, I think I will be ignoring that because:
    • Too many other players I RP with have claimed to be "newly" ascended (from the point when they purchased the game, or from when they created a new alt).
    • The appropriate machines for creating Defiant ascended are present in the "current day" game (head to Sylver in TB).
    • Guardian ascended are only possible from that one battle without the Vigil continuing to ressurrect Guardian ascended. This would mean that the Defiants should have both vastly more and vastly higher quality ascended, by being able to draw from the rest of the Telaran timeline.
    • A couple quests and the "alternate reality" NPCs (via quantum sight) suggest that defiant ascended (at least) should still be popping up.

+ Reply to Thread