+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technologist and augmentations

Default Technologist and augmentations

I've been looking into the Defiant side of things as of late, and I noticed a few of the NPC's carry the title "Technologist".

My first (and only) interpretation of this term is that they are glorified mechanics, and I am, as of yet, not able to find any lore on the matter.

I heard from someone in my native /4, that technologists use augmentations to mechanically enhance their minds and bodies. Sadly his sources were vague, and his detail little, so I decided to pop on here to see if any of you lovely lore-nuts knew anything on the topic?

Also, is the idea of body-to-machine augmentation something Defiant practice? I've yet to hear many people talk about it, but I think it makes for some interesting moral/ethics debate in RP. Anyone know anything about the topic?

Thank you, friend!

This is the first time I've heard anything like that. As I'm hearing it, it doesn't really make much sense why we should have something like that, when we already have superpowered ascended. They hardly need additional augments to get more power.

Was the people in aforementioned channel talking about Rift, or another game? They might have been discussing ideas that could be cool, rather than actual lore.

I'll take a poke about nonetheless, I shall report back here if I find anything. As with the Dimensions feature, it's very likely that we might not have more than a single line of lore to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    This is the first time I've heard anything like that. As I'm hearing it, it doesn't really make much sense why we should have something like that, when we already have superpowered ascended. They hardly need additional augments to get more power.

Was the people in aforementioned channel talking about Rift, or another game? They might have been discussing ideas that could be cool, rather than actual lore.

I'll take a poke about nonetheless, I shall report back here if I find anything. As with the Dimensions feature, it's very likely that we might not have more than a single line of lore to work with.
    It does sound weird, right?

I mean, I know for a fact that the technologist exist (as there is one placed right outside the Defiant recall-failsafe after the turtorial-segment), but I have not managed to dig up any information on their jobs, their origins, or their place in the grand scheme of things.

Give us a shout back if you find anything, friend!

EDIT: On the augmentation thing, I really don't know where he got it from, but he seemed to believe it some part of Telara. If I find him, I'll pester him for more info or a source.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 01-09-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added info

If such technology exists, I believe it would be the realm of the everyday Teleran/ NPC. Ascended are pretty powerful without having to augment themselves with mechanical parts plus, when you consider that our bodies are remade from sourcestone technology when we die, I for one believe that mechanical parts would not be replicated during the process, potentially leaving powerful tech lying all around the world.

With regards to the functions of the technology these people/ npc's would have, I would think it incapable of replicating ascended powers because then why bother creating the ascended in the first place? Perhaps it would be things like eyeballs that allow them to switch between normal and night vision or degrees of magnification for the purpose of working more efficiently which would beg the question, why replace body parts when a set of screwdrivers/ goggles would do the same job without mutilating themselves (unless said body part was already lost).

As to the Technologists themselves, I may be wrong, however I believe these people are the ones who eventually created the ascension machines, portcullis and the time portals, and so their title reflects the fact that they build and maintain the technology we see in Telera.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Eylisia View Post
    As to the Technologists themselves, I may be wrong, however I believe these people are the ones who eventually created the ascension machines, portcullis and the time portals, and so their title reflects the fact that they build and maintain the technology we see in Telera.
    This makes the most sense to me. Just as 'scientist' is a very general term for anyone who works in the sciences, be they biologists, chemists, medical professionals, physicists, etc. the term 'Technologist' is most likely a generic term for anyone who works with tech. The world of Telara is full of magitech, and that logically dictates a need for maintenance, repair, and creation of new tech as an occupation.
    "You haven't just crossed over to the Dark Side...you're baking the damn cookies!"

+ Reply to Thread