+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Misun

Thread: High elves relation to snow?

Default High elves relation to snow?

As the topic might have vaguely suggested, I wish to know if the high elves of Telara have any lore-based relation to snow?

Personally, I've RP'ed with the for forest-and-animal-lover persona once to many, and I'd love to RP a 'snow elf'. Meaning an elf who has spent his life growing up in a snowy area, and his personality shows such.

Does anyone know any lore-based reason as to why one would find elves up in the snowy mountains, or in snowy regions?

Links to lore on the topic (or at least around the topic) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you RP'ers of Rift!

I am sorry to say that I have no information on the topic, but I do think yours is a fine and intriguing idea. Nature encompasses many ecosystems, and a frozen world would present many unique challenges.

I have always felt that where there is no "canon" of lore, it should be possible to create some. (I suspect I am in the minority with this, but perhaps not.) Many ideas for adaptation to snow and ice could be found in something like the Icelandic sagas.

Anybody who wants to expand the boundaries of storytelling will always have my enthusiasm. I hope someone else has information that will help you.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradzani View Post
    I am sorry to say that I have no information on the topic, but I do think yours is a fine and intriguing idea. Nature encompasses many ecosystems, and a frozen world would present many unique challenges.

I have always felt that where there is no "canon" of lore, it should be possible to create some. (I suspect I am in the minority with this, but perhaps not.) Many ideas for adaptation to snow and ice could be found in something like the Icelandic sagas.

Anybody who wants to expand the boundaries of storytelling will always have my enthusiasm. I hope someone else has information that will help you.

Cheers.
    I appreciate the sophisticate reply anyway friend. Despite my ability to not spell properly.

I'm a Scandinavian playing on an American shard (don't ask why), and a history-major IRL.

My point is, you caught me spot on about the story-telling desire, as I'd love to try to integrate legends from real-life Scandinavia with the tundra-esc areas of Rift.

Anyway, here's to hoping someone with more knowledge on the topic sees this thread.

Cheers.

Ascendant

Go for it! There is nothing that says "High Elves MUST live in Silverwood/Gloamwood"

From birth? RP that his/her parents were envoy's of Shyla's or something. She's been in charge for 20 years - that's plenty to have a child born into ice and snow.

With your background, ViRALiC, I think you are probably well-qualified to chart some new lore territory. Like Milyssa, I would be very interested to see how this develops. What is the fun of only re-hashing what has been done before?

I'll try my best to give you a few leads to follow. For as much as we know, Iron Pine Peaks and Stillmoor are mostly mathosian areas (The Icewatch would be a good statement of this)

Presuming that you do not call yourself a High Elf, but "merely" an elf, then you can at some point in your elf's life sought towards the northern regions. Due to how long Elves live (300 years on average) I'd say it's unlikely that your character would have been born or grew up in those parts though.
    I'll refer to this part of the lore:

Wardens of all life, the Elves were unprepared to pay the toll of duty. It was not the Bloodstorm that whittled away their numbers, nor any war with the other races, but the many temptations of the world. First, the fiery Kelari broke the covenant, following their passions and conflicts to distant islands. Then, as the other mortal races built great cities, more and more Elves forsook their calling, laid aside the warden’s burden, and settled down to live easy, peaceful lives.

Those who still held to their task called themselves the High Elves.
    They kept the covenant, and from their home in Silverwood they walked the wild spaces of Telara, enforcing Tavril’s will with arrow’s sting and arcane wrath
    http://eu.riftgame.com/en/races/guar...high-elves.php

It gives you a lot of wiggle-room, however you'd also have to re-question if your character is Ascended, as it is hinted that by far the most of the Elven ascended seem to be of those who called themselves High Elves (ie, the ones who stayed back and upheld their warden duties)
    From a religious standpoint, you wouldn't exactly be best friends with Tavril this way, but the very same thing might open your character more up towards the Vigil as a whole.

Just don't go and make a snow-elf, or make up lore to reason for your choices if you plan to roleplay with the character. In that sense it's better to use the loopholes given, because we all play by the same lore, and we have to keep doing that to avoid ending up in a lot of different versions of Telara. The only people who can rightfully give us more lore, are the lore-devs. You could also always suggest for them to fill in more lore around those parts, be it either for supporting or simply de-confirming the existence of something (As an example, people wondered why there were no bears
    Last edited by Talila; 01-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Plenty of good information Talila, and plenty of good inspiration you three!

I will take this into account when forging my character, and we'll see how it plays out.

I'll probably try to build around the loopholes you provided though Talila. I appreciate you digging those up!

Quote Originally Posted by ViRALiC View Post
    As the topic might have vaguely suggested, I wish to know if the high elves of Telara have any lore-based relation to snow?

Personally, I've RP'ed with the for forest-and-animal-lover persona once to many, and I'd love to RP a 'snow elf'. Meaning an elf who has spent his life growing up in a snowy area, and his personality shows such.

Does anyone know any lore-based reason as to why one would find elves up in the snowy mountains, or in snowy regions?

Links to lore on the topic (or at least around the topic) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you RP'ers of Rift!

It's you character man, make it work!
    "The way is shut, it was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it."

you just want to introduce yourself with "I come from the land of the ice and snow - from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow!"

as a side note i made a snow elf char in DnD once but then the game ended abruptly T.T anyways good luck with it! sounds awesome

Rift Disciple

The way I could see it working is that you were a warden to the Ironpine area. Silverwood is still your "main base" but that doesn't have to mean that you were there all the time.

However I don't ever recall seeing an NPC elf in Ironpine. Not that it isn't doable, you'll just have to work at making it still fit with the lore.

They kept the covenant, and from their home in Silverwood they walked the wild spaces of Telara
    That could include wintery lands.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

+ Reply to Thread