+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Walking

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Galandras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default Walking

    I've just tried coming back after several months away because the way walking was slowed down effectively made it unusable, and therefore roleplaying became impossible. It looks to me like nothing has changed. Am I right, or is there some setting somewhere now for adjusting walking speed?

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Nope, still the same. If the walk speed made RP impossible for you, I'm sorry. There are so many great RP'er out there who stil RP dispite the walk speed that I've all but forgotten it was an issue for some. Many of the gatherings I've attended involve sitting or standing still while talking. Walking is only used when we are trying to get from A-B, and usually that is on a mount (which runs) or we just walk (and since we're all at the same pace, it's ok)

    Sorry to loose out on some of the RP community for this, but happy to say it's a minority.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Roleplay isn't impossible because of the "new" walking speed. There's a big difference between impossibility and disliking a change. The new walking speed gives a fitting immersion of the zones as you can't speedwalk from one end to the other in the matter of 30 minutes anymore, it makes traveling roleplay far more enjoyable. I'm still doing it, so is my guild, the change of a walking speed shouldn't be what keeps you from doing what you want to be doing, when it doesn't literally block you from it.
    If they removed /s and /em, we can speak about roleplay being impossible.

    What is not enjoyable however, is the walking animation that subsequently broke after the speed-change. They have promised to work on this, but with Storm Legion coming and the Dimensions being rolled in I can imagine they've been hard pressed for time (Elrar has stated a couple of times that they have been very busy), and when you put things into comparison I'd much rather they work on the expansion first and then the walking animation. The dev team tends to keep to their promises for what I've seen since launch.

    ETA: Planar attunement +runspeeds apply to walking speeds as well, and by now it's almost possible to get back into the old speed. They are looking into this issue as well because it causes old and new players to walk in different speeds which.. is rather tedious.
    Last edited by Talila; 10-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Would it be possible to get a response from someone, anyone, at Trion regarding the ridiculous state of walking in this game. When the walk was nuked we didn't have Dimensions. And now, with the greater opportunity to walk and enjoy our creations we have to put up with looking like old zombies with zimmer frames. Doesn't anyone at Trion actually care. It makes RPG and Dimensions feel like an absolute joke.

    So I'm knocking at that old chestnut again Trion. Just give me a response. A crumb. A viewpoint. Cus seriously there hasn't been one more significant issue for me in this game that you had just perfect for the human female and for no reason you destroyed it. Pathetic. Why did you do that. Is it cus you lot had something against Argent Glade and RPG in Warcraft. I guess you are all men and couldn't give a jot about women characters in game. ... Seems you just decide to ignore. As ever.

    I am not expecting a response from Trion on this. Just pissing in the wind. RPG is truly dead in Rift.
    Last edited by Ajhal; 11-25-2012 at 06:22 AM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    Would it be possible to get a response from someone, anyone, at Trion regarding the ridiculous state of walking in this game. When the walk was nuked we didn't have Dimensions. And now, with the greater opportunity to walk and enjoy our creations we have to put up with looking like old zombies with zimmer frames. Doesn't anyone at Trion actually care. It makes RPG and Dimensions feel like an absolute joke.

    So I'm knocking at that old chestnut again Trion. Just give me a response. A crumb. A viewpoint. Cus seriously there hasn't been one more significant issue for me in this game that you had just perfect for the human female and for no reason you destroyed it. Pathetic. Why did you do that. Is it cus you lot had something against Argent Glade and RPG in Warcraft. I guess you are all men and couldn't give a jot about women characters in game. ... Seems you just decide to ignore. As ever.

    I am not expecting a response from Trion on this. Just pissing in the wind. RPG is truly dead in Rift.
    You do know they just launched an entire expansion right? They've already explained they're much more busy than they expected to be, loads of things are paused because they have to catch up with bugs and so on. The broken walking animation should not be enough to ruin roleplay for you, lest you already be really burnt out from it - it's a dent in a road that needs to be fixed out, but give them a breather would you?
    I'm sure they'll give an update when they have one to give, they've been very good at looking after their roleplay community when Krunkaton walked into the picture, I really doubt they'd drop that on the floor.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Bloodspeaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Bad walking animation destroys RP? How did I never notice this epically revelatory truism? I'm... just staggered!

    Seriously, the notion is so ridiculous that it doesn't even belong on the Role-play forums. It's a bug. Bug it. Move on. This may come as a shock, but no, it's NOT a priority when there are many other ACTUAL problems to address with the new content.

    I'm a role-player myself. I've played games where there WAS no character walk animation. I had to *gasp* pretend I was walking. See how that works? If you look up the terms "pretend" and "role-play", I think you'll find some suspicious similarities.
    Of course they sent you back from one of the futures in which we failed, Defiant. Why would they return you from one of those in which we succeeded?

  7. #7
    Telaran Twinflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I don't understand this issue. One of my first critiques in this game was that the walking animations looked ridiculous, and it took effort for me to overcome that. It was way too fast and just looked very, very unnatural. Later, they slowed them down, and I was impressed that they had enough attention to detail to make that change. To me, it was a big improvement. Is the slow-down what you're complaining about, or is there some kind of bug that I don't know about?

    Anyway, I just came from TERA, where I founded an RP guild without any walk animation or /e command. The /e channel wasn't added until two months after launch and we never got a walk animation (we had to spastically twitch in the run animation to pretend to walk), but almost a year later the RP community is still very active.

    Quitting a game as awesome and beautiful as Rift over an insufficient walk animation seems comparable to walking out of a 5-star restaurant in a rage because you don't like the shape of the ice cubes in your drink.
    Last edited by Twinflame; 11-25-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    - Daijeen, Faeblight

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser parangea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    351

    Default

    i've never role-played before. but sometimes just for fun i toggle walking on and go do a round meridian (mostly when talking in guild chat, being bored and what not). i have a kelari female cleric and a kelari male mage, the walking is kinda slow, but that can be overcome. my issue with walking is that it DOESNT look realistic.
    the pace is slow, the steps they take are absolutely TINY, putting their foot literaly an inch in front of the other, who the hell walks like that. when i think of an ascended, i think of a powerfull being, doesnt matter if elf/kelari/human/bahmi. they should take these big striding steps with their heads held high.
    not like some 90-year old about to die.
    i've asked a guildmate to show me bahmi walking, a giant, taking tiny steps with their big legs and enormous feet.
    i guess im just confused or something.

    cheers \m/
    R.I.P: Paraygon lvl-60 & Parangea lvl-60 <The Lords of War@bloodiron>
    It saddens me to see what Rift pvp has become. The laughing stock of the gaming world.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    You do know they just launched an entire expansion right? They've already explained they're much more busy than they expected to be, loads of things are paused because they have to catch up with bugs and so on. The broken walking animation should not be enough to ruin roleplay for you, lest you already be really burnt out from it - it's a dent in a road that needs to be fixed out, but give them a breather would you?
    I'm sure they'll give an update when they have one to give, they've been very good at looking after their roleplay community when Krunkaton walked into the picture, I really doubt they'd drop that on the floor.
    Your joking right. You do know when they busted the walk. Been like it since early in the year and I have posted like two dozen threads here with zero response. The walk was a natural looking one foot in front of the other. Elegant and purposeful and worthy of my character. And since several months back they destroyed it in favour of a zimmer frame zombie stumble along that looks and feels tragic. Many have said the same and for RPG it is essential. I play on Argent Glade in WoW and if Blizzard did this to the player base they would have gone mental. That is why I say there is no RPG here... Cus there is no RPG. I have played this game since launch and its all but died. I really can't see why they can't put it back the way it was... But sadly we have received I think one comment back in the late spring saying that they would look into it. But nothing.

    So scuse me for the comments again, cus really unless you can appreciate the joy of walking in RPG you really are not going to understand. There is no need to reprogram anything, its not a bug cus they had the walk working perfectly. So why cannot there be a choice. Its not like I'm asking to be able to sit in a chair....which would be nice. In fact I was just asking for a comment, a response, anything

    PS They are not looking after their RP community, cus there isn't one. Not if you play EU. I would suggest you join me in Argent Glade in WoW if you want to actually see what real RP is. Now if that doesn't wind your so called Trion concerned developers then I don't know what would. So prove me wrong.... Trion... Anyone in there.... Respond.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    PS They are not looking after their RP community, cus there isn't one. Not if you play EU. I would suggest you join me in Argent Glade in WoW if you want to actually see what real RP is. Now if that doesn't wind your so called Trion concerned developers then I don't know what would. So prove me wrong.... Trion... Anyone in there.... Respond.
    Oh sorry, those 40 people I saw online yesterday to a server event must obviously have been illusions. How silly of me to think that there's a community, I must have licked one too many frogs in cape jule.

    >.>

    Since you can't seem to see the response yourself, I did some digging:
    Spoiler!


    All in all on this subject, we've had no new comment since August. So around three months, about the same amount of time we've known an expansion was coming. However, I am having a hard time seeing why they should repeat what they've already said, I'd rather they comment when they have news - not just re-confirm that they know it's an issue and that they're working on it.

    I do appreciate in game walking, my character is a wanderer - what do you think I spend my time doing? Walk/talk RP is something I greatly enjoy, this also being why I enjoy the new walkspeed. I do not enjoy the animation, but it doesn't break roleplay for me, heck it doesn't even hurt my immersion that much anymore. I learnt to be patient and give time for things like this to be fixed, the issues the RP community has generally demand more time because we focus so much on the details that 60% of the Rift population would give no bothers about.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara FoxMaiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    848

    Default

    It would be nice if Trion actually increased the walking speed. We currently walk about as fast as Hobbits did back in Lotro's original beta; which was painfully slow.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::


  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Oh sorry, those 40 people I saw online yesterday to a server event must obviously have been illusions. How silly of me to think that there's a community, I must have licked one too many frogs in cape jule.

    >.>

    Since you can't seem to see the response yourself, I did some digging:


    All in all on this subject, we've had no new comment since August. So around three months, about the same amount of time we've known an expansion was coming. However, I am having a hard time seeing why they should repeat what they've already said, I'd rather they comment when they have news - not just re-confirm that they know it's an issue and that they're working on it.

    I do appreciate in game walking, my character is a wanderer - what do you think I spend my time doing? Walk/talk RP is something I greatly enjoy, this also being why I enjoy the new walkspeed. I do not enjoy the animation, but it doesn't break roleplay for me, heck it doesn't even hurt my immersion that much anymore. I learnt to be patient and give time for things like this to be fixed, the issues the RP community has generally demand more time because we focus so much on the details that 60% of the Rift population would give no bothers about.
    RPG is about character presentation, your appearance, the way you dress, the way you behave, the way you play your character in a game. It is about the whole role playing nature of your self created character. You can be illusive, solitary, quiet, hidden if you so choose to play that way. That is the fun of RPG. And when you RPG you use the mechanics of the game to reinforce your character and what it means to you as a player. For me I am in character all the time. I play RPG to my fullest and know my purpose. But to do that I do need to be able strut about. Particularly when I walk into battle and take out the fodder before confronting the boss. I did use to be able to walk across the battle field with great stature and poise.... But not now. And for RPG, my RPG.... I play a definitive style. Or did. I can hardly do that now cus the animation is crap, zombie like. I don't want to walk like a peasant. I want to walk like Shyla Starhearth.. Just do the Chronicle and look at how she walks. As an ascended.

    I just don't get how something that was already in existence cannot be reverted back to its original. Or even better we are given a choice. The RPG animations or emotes in game are truly pathetic generally. You have very little opportunity to express yourself, visually. It takes all my effort to find anything worth wearing in cloth... Which is another subject. And now we have napkins on our back. Sorry, but if you play RPG, at its heart is character strength, purpose, appearance, gestures. You then fashion these to give your character meaning and purpose. Animations are critical. Its not about necessarily social gathering its about your character and what it means to you. Mine had half its heart cut out by Trion and I am still mulling over whether I stay.

    And they have had way long enough. And they never have responded to me, choosing instead to warn me off with points on my account for my continued frustration. Sad really.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    RPG is about character presentation, your appearance, the way you dress, the way you behave, the way you play your character in a game. It is about the whole role playing nature of your self created character. You can be illusive, solitary, quiet, hidden if you so choose to play that way. That is the fun of RPG. And when you RPG you use the mechanics of the game to reinforce your character and what it means to you as a player. For me I am in character all the time. I play RPG to my fullest and know my purpose. But to do that I do need to be able strut about. Particularly when I walk into battle and take out the fodder before confronting the boss. I did use to be able to walk across the battle field with great stature and poise.... But not now. And for RPG, my RPG.... I play a definitive style. Or did. I can hardly do that now cus the animation is crap, zombie like. I don't want to walk like a peasant. I want to walk like Shyla Starhearth.. Just do the Chronicle and look at how she walks. As an ascended.

    I just don't get how something that was already in existence cannot be reverted back to its original. Or even better we are given a choice. The RPG animations or emotes in game are truly pathetic generally. You have very little opportunity to express yourself, visually. It takes all my effort to find anything worth wearing in cloth... Which is another subject. And now we have napkins on our back. Sorry, but if you play RPG, at its heart is character strength, purpose, appearance, gestures. You then fashion these to give your character meaning and purpose. Animations are critical. Its not about necessarily social gathering its about your character and what it means to you. Mine had half its heart cut out by Trion and I am still mulling over whether I stay.

    And they have had way long enough. And they never have responded to me, choosing instead to warn me off with points on my account for my continued frustration. Sad really.
    I take it you never played pencil and paper D&D?

  14. #14
    Ascendant Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    And they never have responded to me, choosing instead to warn me off with points on my account for my continued frustration. Sad really.
    You can't seriously be expecting for them to give you a personal reply, when there's already information to find :/

  15. #15
    Plane Touched Bloodspeaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    I would suggest you join me in Argent Glade in WoW if you want to actually see what real RP is.
    Personally, when I want to see real RP, I have a bunch of friends over for a geniune PnP RPG session. An online game is unlikely to ever have the range of expression that can be employed/decribed irl. And it STILL requires that everyone actually employ a measure of imagination. There's no walk animation in any game I've seen for "swagger" (for example), but I can "see" it just fine when a player describes it.
    Of course they sent you back from one of the futures in which we failed, Defiant. Why would they return you from one of those in which we succeeded?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts