+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kintyre
  • 1 Post By Kintyre

Thread: The Blood Storm's Motivations

Default The Blood Storm's Motivations

I was thinking about the motivations of the dragons. While they're likely as inscrutable and complex as those of the Vigil and any other long-immortal, world-spanning beings, I believe I've come up with a few (humorous) bytes (bites?).

Greenscale: I want everything to GROW.
    Maelforge: I want everything to BURN.
    Laethys: I want everything (to be MINE).
    Akylios: BWAHAHAHAHEHEHEH... heh... snrk. Burble.
    Regulos: I want everything DEAD.
    Crucia: I want everything... to be... me.

Ascendant

I think that's pretty valid look at the dragons. I would add this:

Lathys wanted to own everything/everyone while Crucia wants to controle everything/everyone. It's a subtile difference but one that I've found help me reconcile their similar motives.

I love that Akylos is similar in a way. He wants to controle the thoughts of people too - but more to turn them mad.. I think. I would call him the dragon of confusion and chaos. (what a weird word to spell.. I had to look it up.)

Oh, I was just having a bit of fun.

Akylios is definitely creepy and more than a little insane. The trouble is that he knows so much, his knowledge is his greatest strength (as he knows lots of weaknesses of others) and his greatest weakness (as he lacks context and the ability to apply much of his knowledge).

Laethys is scary, because her servants/slaves serve her willingly, in return for the scraps and cast-offs she trickles down to them. Even the scraps and cast-offs of a god who's eaten worlds can be more than one's wildest dreams, though. Her cult's problem is the lack of loyalty to each other (back-stabbing and stealing).

Regulos wants stasis in death, possibly in undeath to maintain a mockery of life loyal to him. This is scary enough, but he's been beaten before, and is hesitant to be set back so far again.

Crucia is by far the most terrifying to me, though. Her imprisonment wasn't complete. She wipes minds and scours away individuality, making her Storm Legion an effective meta-unit fighting force. She was able to break her imprisonment on her own, through force of will and influencing those who would have kept her bound. She voluntarily remained in her prison-that-wasn't, to more effectively build her forces. Now that she's fully free, this indicates that she thinks she can win the war for Telara.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kintyre View Post
    Regulos wants stasis in death, possibly in undeath to maintain a mockery of life loyal to him. This is scary enough, but he's been beaten before, and is hesitant to be set back so far again.

Crucia is by far the most terrifying to me, though. Her imprisonment wasn't complete. She wipes minds and scours away individuality, making her Storm Legion an effective meta-unit fighting force. She was able to break her imprisonment on her own, through force of will and influencing those who would have kept her bound. She voluntarily remained in her prison-that-wasn't, to more effectively build her forces. Now that she's fully free, this indicates that she thinks she can win the war for Telara.
    And with the death of other four dragons... the planes of Fire, Life, Earth and Water have been left masterless. Crucia has already demonstrated ability to control creatures of other planes (a quest in Shimmersand). If she manages to combine the other four planes into her army... Well, we're screwed.

And if we do manage to destroy her and her army... Well, Regulos is there. Imagine him raising his dead siblings, including Crucia, and their fallen armies back to life... and against us. Then we're REALLY screwed. I just hope he doesn't have the power to do that.

But I should go back to the topic now. I find it strange how all six dragons are so obsessed of their personal goals (whatever Akylios's goal was). They all have been destroying worlds seemingly to only satisfy their respective desires that can never be satisfied. It makes me start wondering if it was really them who set the Blood Storm in motion. It makes me wonder... if there's an even greater and darker force behind the Blood Storm and the dragons themselves.

I'd put it this way. The Blood Storm was a threat well before their banishment and the erection of the Ward of the Vigil. They destroyed many worlds before coming to Telara, and were fat and powerful at that point. When the war happened, they were barely defeated by the sacrifices of the greatest of heroes and direct intervention of the protector gods of Telara.
    They were flung back to the planes, which I believe sharpened their desires from outright consumption to a directed focus for each of them, which had only been a "signature method" to that point. In being bound to the planes, they were strengthened in a few aspects, but significantly weakened in others. Their lust for Telara, by far the richest target they ever encountered (at the balanced intersection of the planes), led them to infighting instead of the cooperative approach they had previously exhibited.

What I want to know is what moticated the Blood Storm to begin with? Were they born evil? Were they always terrible godlike beings?? Why did they leave their home. Or maybe they are a manifestation of evil i in the universe or something that took physical form. Lol thats what I want to know.

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

+ Reply to Thread