+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Riordian

Thread: Lore: a plea

Default Lore: a plea

Greetings fellow Ascended.

I have not made many posts in this forum, but I have observed it as others did.

I have been a fan of Rift since the game launched, and I was playing it on a well under minimum spec lap top and shelling out any money I could for the title. In short, I love Rift. This is my MMO, my home, and no matter what shiny new game comes along Trion shall have my devotion to their title.

With this said, on to the point; lore.

Trion, I'm begging you to take lore more seriously. I've said this a million times to friends and fellow players: "there IS lore in Rift, you just have to look for it." No one understands this more than I do, and I have read the few Q&A's put out before Doomcookie left, as well as scoured the many books in the game itself. I'm not saying there isn't any lore available, I'm saying that in order to make Telara have a more lasting impact on fans that come and go as well as those that stay, lore needs to be everywhere. I want to be stumbling over little goodies on what type of creatures are coming out of these Rifts, what the various generals in the armies of the Dragon's do when they aren't hitting me with spells, ect. You work so hard, harder than any MMO company around, please extend that hard work into pumping the game world full of life, and history.

The Gods: For Guardians, unless the rumors that you're moving away from this angle is true, please give more history into them. I never once saw a single God in my time as a High Elf, never saw a flashback of Mauriel Taun when she was amongst my people, anything. Just books and words on what she did. I am a Guardian, my primary motivation is the happiness of these beings, for me they are the point my adventuring and the reason I'm alive again...perhaps they should be featured in more ways than statues and the occasional messenger, hm? I know what some of you may be thinking: "You wouldn't see a God, that's the point of you, as their agent on Telera." But ask yourself; why can't we see and interact with them? It works both ways; we are their chosen, the fate of Telara (according to them) is on our shoulders. Our faith should be unshakable because they reveal themselves to us personally. There are other ways to present it as well, it isn't rocket science to think of an acceptable reason in a fantasy world for a god to make contact with a hero of theirs.

The races: Trion, many have given you a hard time because of how the races in the game are essentially are humans in various shapes and sizes. Let me say something you might not hear often; THAT'S ALRIGHT. Yes, I'll say it again: "Its just fine if they're all essentially human." IF, and this is a big if, you flesh them out enough. If Bahmi have plenty of Bhami specific quests, lore, and NPC's that interact with the differently than the other races then they will FEEL like Bahmi. Let me go on quests to add more 'Sefir' to my body with each accomplishment, or travel to Scarlet Gorge to remember the valleys of the Shalastiri of old. To an extent this is already the case, but I feel you need more of it. When you only have six races with no indication of more to come, you need those races to FEEL like they're different from one another. While there is some difference currently, I feel you need to drive it home.

The world: This is perhaps the biggest to me, and SL may well do this great justice. I will say, that Mathosia has history. The tribes of early northmen banding together to become the Mathosian empire sounds like it would be a thrilling history to convey in the game...but, it hardly is. I mean it; its mostly prevalent in the synopsis of the land on the site. I sincerely hope, with all my heart, that you step away from presenting major lore in this way. You have a smaller world at the moment, and the benefit of this is that you can make it full to the brim with history and depth. I don't know whom I have to pay in order to make each zone load me down with its history, but I'll gladly make a donation. With IA's now active there needs to be a reason to quest at all, and with SL I hope that reason is the world and the story it has to tell you. Essentially the quests in each area, unless specifically marked as 'story' are more about the particular happenings of the quest giver than the zone at large. Given that the quest giver in question will likely never be relevant beyond his post, I feel this is a missed opportunity.

In closing let me say that I hope no one runs to the defense of the questing and story line as it is now. I'm not attacking it, I'm not a whining, and I'm not someone that's going to abandon the game at the first sign of trouble. I've paid my sub even when I couldn't play for months, because Rift is something special to me. By focusing on fleshing out what we already have instead of hastily adding more, and since the usual updates for the game seem to contain (some) but not much in the way of narrative at all, perhaps this could be improved. Imagine Trion, if people coming to try the game are not only pulled in by the quality of life, the overwhelming amount of content, the beauty of the game itself and the polish on everything, but the deep and rich world and lore. Right now its alright, but most don't know it even exists, let's change this some day soon, please. Let the lore lead work as hard as the rest of you on what he does best.

My love for the game is unwavering as Trion has my trust and my hope, so even if nothing I said here is remembered beyond as long as it takes you to read it, I'll still be here. May you all live a thousand years.

Here here! You state my thoughts exactly! While I don't often think of these things, and I've grown used to the game in the year I've been playing, I'd love for the lore to be more readily available to the casual players. Even those who profess to be RPers don't know as much as they 'could' about the game! If you want to know a certain thing about the history of the game, you have to LOOK for it. In a way that's rather fun, but the history is so disjointed, confusing, jumbled, and misleading that it's hard to connect to, and hard to immerse yourself into. Not to mention that a lot of the information is scattered across several zones. You'll find one tidbit in Freemarch, another one Droughtlands, etc. If only there was say, a lore page dedicated to compiling all that information and detailing it with headings and information, and sources! I know that's a ton of work...and I'd be willing to help! I bet a ton of others would too! I also know that there are sites out there that do that, but by the large, most people go strait to the rift website when they want information!!!!!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

OK the lore of Rift isnt great, but there is more to it then most see or want to see imo.

Gods: I do expect more explaining on them in SL. I do expect that we are explained as WHY they have chosen to be silent over the past 20 years. Maybe this wasnt a choise though, maybe it has something to do with the ward, etc.
    I assume we get to know more about this for the simple fact that we go to Brevane. The place where the BloodLegion first entered our world. The place where we can enter the other planes. It is there that the story of the ascended really started. Whatever happened there, it is, partly, the reason why the Vigil is silent now. Hell it is the reason why the Vigil banded together in the first place, instead of staying seperate entities

Races: only 2 human races really -> Mathosian and Eth.
    But I do agree that the races could have more specific quests.
    But, again, we go to Brevane. Which was the continent where humans first appeared. Both Mathosians and Eth are related to the Brevane humans, and therefor I assume more lore on the subject.
    To relate to that:
    Ember Isle was a bit more lore for the Kelari.

The World: yeah there can be more lore about this subject

I expect more lore in the X-pack concerning the history. I must say that there is already a ton of lore available on all subjects, it are just all the small things that you must connect yourself.
    Little things in quest, combined with the books you read, combined with the stories you see in the rifts, raids, etc. There is a lot out there, it just isnt on a silver platter. Personally I like it that way.
    thats just how I see it though more lore is always welcome
    Last edited by NearioNL; 09-28-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

This is a case of people being served what is in front of them.
    Much of the lore is hidden within quests/artifacts/out of the way places.

I don't think its a lack of information, simply how that information is served.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    This is a case of people being served what is in front of them.
    Much of the lore is hidden within quests/artifacts/out of the way places.

I don't think its a lack of information, simply how that information is served.
    This. Just like multiple ways of progression, I think they should enhance the variety of ways peeps are served lore. I'm glad some of the low level IAs are getting more involved in the story, but they still dont explain anything really. You just beat up the boss.

I really really would like to see the chronicles get expanded a lot to incorporate more lore reveals to the player, such as chronicles exploring twyl corrupting hylas, or a chronicle about port scion, on about asha and her times with her classmate alsbeth in silverwood, or one for guardians that explains what happened 20 years in the future, and one for defiants that explains what happened to the guardians. There is so much lore out there, and the chronicle system needs some serious beef added to it (challenging beef too).

Maybe a flashback chronicle system. Kinda like the new hunt rifts. You can collect and unlock them and recieve dailies to re-run random chronicles for additional awards and still get the fundamental lore of rifts timeline and key charactors.

Lastly I'd like to see an ingame storybook that records story quest progression/chronicle progression so you can go back and read what you did. Why? I did my starter quests before the game even launched. I dont remember what happened and I dont have screenshots of them so things are getting fuzzy.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 09-28-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    This. Just like multiple ways of progression, I think they should enhance the variety of ways peeps are served lore. I'm glad some of the low level IAs are getting more involved in the story, but they still dont explain anything really. You just beat up the boss.

I really really would like to see the chronicles get expanded a lot to incorporate more lore reveals to the player, such as chronicles exploring twyl corrupting hylas, or a chronicle about port scion, on about asha and her times with her classmate alsbeth in silverwood, or one for guardians that explains what happened 20 years in the future, and one for defiants that explains what happened to the guardians. There is so much lore out there, and the chronicle system needs some serious beef added to it (challenging beef too).

Maybe a flashback chronicle system. Kinda like the new hunt rifts. You can collect and unlock them and recieve dailies to re-run random chronicles for additional awards and still get the fundamental lore of rifts timeline and key charactors.

Lastly I'd like to see an ingame storybook that records story quest progression/chronicle progression so you can go back and read what you did. Why? I did my starter quests before the game even launched. I dont remember what happened and I dont have screenshots of them so things are getting fuzzy.
    Here here! This is a wonderful idea, and could add so much flavor to the world as well as helping to flesh out our faction heroes!

I don't know if your interested or not hehe...but I've recently undertaken a fun lore task for myself that your welcome to partake of if you want!

It's a blog, told as a story, about the journey in the game from lvl 1-50. Everything is detailed, in story format, from the point of view of the character, complete with excerpts for backstory and such. If you are interested, here it is:

Guardian: http://ascendedanakesti.blogspot.ca/

Defiant: http://taleofascension.blogspot.ca/

It's also available for anyone if they wish to check it out! It's just a little something I do on my off time to keep myself occupied! It is still relatively new though, so a lot is still blank! Feel free to tell me your thoughts!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

+ Reply to Thread