+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how will the guardians justify this?

  1. #1
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default how will the guardians justify this?

    Okay in the new mage reveal they talk about how the Harbringer is a fusion of magic and tech. The same tech that Crucia has been using to build her storm legion. Is off base for me to ask how the Guardians can continue to say "Die technology using Defiant heretic!!!" While they are using the tech of a Dragon to beat said defiant about the head? Just curious.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  2. #2
    Ascendant NearioNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Heard strong rumors that Guardian and Defiants will unite, even able to be in same guild.
    Guildie of my heard that of a friend who heard it of a dev. I dont believe it, untill I heard it from a dev personally, but if thats the case then your question is answered
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

  3. #3
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    I heard a rumor that it's a game and who really cares . . .

  4. #4
    Ascendant NearioNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    I heard a rumor that it's a game and who really cares . . .
    RP-ers
    or those who just care about the lore of a game, like most rpg-players
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-14-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    haha... I find it funny that you have to justify your question with "RP'ers will care" on the RP forums.

    As for this question -

    you could RP that you are a guardian who has always sympathised with Defiants and believed unity is the way to salvation. They were working together, be it an icy friendship, until Port Scion fell. That was only 1 year before launch (if I remember correctly). Wouldn't be a stretch to say you've made friends in some of the Defiants, or learned to accept their nature - even if the other Guardian's did not.

    Or that you were a High Elf/Mathosian/Dwarf who stood on your own, not part of the guardians, and now take it upon yourself to pick up this new technology, vigil be darned, in order to help your planet survive.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    RP-ers
    or those who just care about the lore of a game, like most rpg-players
    i thought most mmorpg-players only care about gear and character-progression

  7. #7
    Ascendant NearioNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    i thought most mmorpg-players only care about gear and character-progression
    Could be.
    though I said rpg-players, not mmorpg players. there is a difference ;)
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

  8. #8
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    1) You assume Empyrian technology is the same as Ethian magitech that consumes sourcestone.

    2) Souls are for usage as tools. Guardians seem to hate Necromancy too (no kidding...), but you can be a Necromancer. Just as Defiant can be Sentinels and Paladins.

    Guardians are only explicitly against the sourcestone consuming magitech that interferes with the Ward and more. A Harbinger may use tech that doesn't do that.

    We know Empyrian tech is the Infinity gate etc etc, but we don't know all the meat of the lore inside these details yet, so hold your horses.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    RP-ers
    or those who just care about the lore of a game, like most rpg-players
    Mechanical Spiders, Defiant Clerics . . . lore consistency isn't really a strong point here.

  10. #10
    Ascendant NearioNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Mechanical Spiders, Defiant Clerics . . . lore consistency isn't really a strong point here.
    Mechanical Mounts are easy to make with this technology.
    Defiant clerics: there are more gods then just the vigil.

    but indeed Rift's lore consistency isnt its strong point, in that you are true
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

  11. #11
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Okay in the new mage reveal they talk about how the Harbringer is a fusion of magic and tech. The same tech that Crucia has been using to build her storm legion. Is off base for me to ask how the Guardians can continue to say "Die technology using Defiant heretic!!!" While they are using the tech of a Dragon to beat said defiant about the head? Just curious.
    Its simple really...

    Guardians just do what any other self-respecting religious zealot does and use selective perception and muddied interpretation to justify what they want and condemn what they dont.

    Always remember, evidence counts for nothing in the eyes of a true believer

  12. #12
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post

    Guardians are only explicitly against the sourcestone consuming magitech that interferes with the Ward and more. A Harbinger may use tech that doesn't do that.

    We know Empyrian tech is the Infinity gate etc etc, but we don't know all the meat of the lore inside these details yet, so hold your horses.
    So the tech being advanced by the bloodstorm is less distateful than tech advanced by those who fight them? There is a logical inconsistency there that makes my head hurt. lol
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Mechanical Spiders, Defiant Clerics . . . lore consistency isn't really a strong point here.
    Well you can have a Cleric that doesn't worship a god. Google Hermeticism and tell me that isn't A) spiritual and B) does not fit PERFECTLY with the scientific method a Eth would use. Other religions are based almost exclusively on Ancestor worship (Bahmi) and others "worship" or make pacts with spirits rather than deities (Kelari). Only from a Western European mindset does being one of the "faithful" require a "god" of some sort. And really that seems to be what we have here. The Guardians seem to be from a Western European back ground, whether it be Celtic or Hellenistic in nature. The Defiant on the other hand seem to be from a more Middle/Near/Far Eastern cultures.
    Last edited by Galibier; 08-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  14. #14
    Ascendant NearioNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    So the tech being advanced by the bloodstorm is less distateful than tech advanced by those who fight them? There is a logical inconsistency there that makes my head hurt. lol
    this tech did exist before the bloodstorm ever set foot on Telara.
    true, the bloodstorm was able to enter Telara thanks to this tech. and that could be the reason why the Vigil did forbid any tech. So that would indeed rise the question if Guardian Clerics should be able to use this soul.
    questions, questions ....
    I am gonne think about this before replying :P
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

  15. #15
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Its simple really...

    Guardians just do what any other self-respecting religious zealot does and use selective perception and muddied interpretation to justify what they want and condemn what they dont.

    Always remember, evidence counts for nothing in the eyes of a true believer
    Oh don't go there, back when they still had the lore forums I said went that way and OH when the Guardians showed up did I felt like Jerusalem when the when the 1st Crusade appeared at the gates lol.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts