+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some questions about Ascended and non-Ascended.

Default Some questions about Ascended and non-Ascended.

Hi guys,

I'm toying around with a storyline right now, but I'm not entirely sure it could work, so I wanted to check here and see what people would think about it.

I've read most everywhere that Ascension happens during the starter area for Guardians (Shade War, I think) and of course, Terminus, for Defiants. I've not seen much that deviated from this, other than the mention of someone named Boar Spear, but as I understand it, his story 'changed' when the lore changed as well, and now he would have been resurrected during the Shade War as well.

However.

I did recall reading somewhere that in one of the zones, you witness either Defiants or Guardians (or someone else entirely?) resurrecting new Ascended. Is this true or false, and if it's true, where can I find the information about it?

Basically, I'm wishing to roleplay a Mathosian Ascended, but not in the context that they had to be fighting in the Shade War, if possible. So, I'm trying to see if there's any other options for me at this point before I go ahead with my idea. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, also on the topic of non-Ascended, would they still have the ability to be say..an Inquisitor cleric or *insert class/specialization here*? I realize they wouldn't be nearly as powerful if so, or be able to be resurrected most likely, but could they at least achieve such, or could they really only be a standard 'warrior' type with no special skills? (Like the guards you see, for example.)

In Stillmoor, there is a questline where you'll see an NPC - his name eludes me but Sir M-something - confront Frederic Kain and then die, to be promptly called back by Carwin's Spirit on the Vigil's behalf as an Ascended.

So for the lore in game, it does show it is possible to become an Ascended later on - which works great if you want to play a normal character who has a personal act of heroism/behaviour to earn sufficient regard with the Vigil to come back and carry on kicking *** and taking names.

As for the classes, I don't think there's a problem with being an Inquisitor or similar - the ones in the Blood Storm were not Ascended, we just have their knowledge and our own power as a booster on that leg up, iirc.

It's nice to see someone considering taking that arc anyway, have fun in game!

Ascendant

Guardians can be ascended at any time, as Akamhara said. Remember that they are ascended for their might rather than their virture. So even if you are rping a high elf who doesn't accept the vigil, she/he can still be ascended for their power. Now, if you're a meek and mild high elf who doesn't fight... you might have a harder time discovering a reason for your ascension.

Defiants, on the other hand, can be ascended by machine at any time. To my knowledge they do not have a criteria list of things a person must do to be ascended. The ascended from the future return with the plans for the machines in the hope that the defiants can survive the future asults of the guardians. They failed without their own ascended, so they hope that by creating ascended they will keep control. I find it funny because our present timeline shifted the moment they returned and it is now possible the guardians do not attack, but that's beside the point.

I find it funny because our present timeline shifted the moment they returned and it is now possible the guardians do not attack, but that's beside the point.

I have wondered about that because by sending the machine born ascended back in time the defiant cause a time paradox where the future that there ascended came from don't exist and so they should disappear but, what is keeping them anchored?

There is however, a chance the future still exists because I know there is a guy at Sanctum who wishes to destroy the machines and prevent the machine born from ever coming back but, again that raises another point where that could happen however, the defiant ascended still come back.

The future is not written in stone so its difficult to predict.
    I am the ascended with no side, one that has walked both and will choose neither.

Mathosian Cleric - High Elf Mage - Eth Rogue - Dwarf Rogue

One of the theories of Quantum Physics uses the many-worlds theory which presents the idea that every seemingly random event with at least some degree of probability actually occurs in all possible ways in different "worlds", so that history is constantly branching into different... well slivers . David Deutsch has argued that if backwards time travel is possible, it should result in the traveler ending up in a different world than the one they were born in. So in essence the defiant traveled not only back in time BUT to an entirely different timeline that their travel arguably made possible or at least allowed for this travel to not create a paradox.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Lol, people in farther along time lines have done time travel and yet created a paradox so how the heck do these primitive machine makers achieve it?
    I am the ascended with no side, one that has walked both and will choose neither.

Mathosian Cleric - High Elf Mage - Eth Rogue - Dwarf Rogue

+ Reply to Thread