+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Role-Play Names

Default Role-Play Names

I understand in a perfect RP world everybody would have original creative names that wouldn't offend anybody.... but really? As long as it's not vulgar or offensive on a level that is omg obvious... let the people that pay .. play with the names they like. Too many no life "RP" Hardcore blah blah runnin around reporting people for their names. What? Is there some master list I don't know of that exists with guidlines of what people can be named? Sure pop culture Icons etc.... but if someone can name their kid "Apple" in real life then where do you draw lines? I have been witness to more than a few names that people have lost that they chose to exhibit their individuality. So for all you people that have nothin better to do than report others to try to gain favor with Trion..... you fail in my book, for you strive for recognition on the demise of freedom itself and at the exspense of others ..... gratz

I take it your name was reported?

It's one NA shard that has this naming convention in place, if you don't agree with it nor like it, perhaps you can go to another shard where you'll be free to have the name you want within the limits of the TOS.

I only report occasional names, they have to be pretty obvious.

But if you want to know why we report them:

Go watch Full Metal Jacket. Now, watch another version, in which there's a clown dubbed into every third scene. The clown is always clean, never muddy or injured. He doesn't say anything, he's just there.

This is what bad names do to the RP experience, pretty much. Don't like it? Well, there are a heck of a lot of non-RP shards...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Actually this toon is one I have long left behind... and no it was not me. So I do not post from a point of anger, but seek to the community for their opinion. Good or bad is an objective point... so is the guidlines for what is considered "RP". An acknowledgement of anything less is to say fire does not exist.... point being : to those with no life give it a rest and let people play who they feel they are.

Quote Originally Posted by baldurwolfer View Post
    Actually this toon is one I have long left behind... and no it was not me. So I do not post from a point of anger, but seek to the community for their opinion. Good or bad is an objective point... so is the guidlines for what is considered "RP". An acknowledgement of anything less is to say fire does not exist.... point being : to those with no life give it a rest and let people play who they feel they are.

Example.... if somebody wishes to call themselves "Hammerhead" and gets flagged for such? What guidline says that in a medieval world somebody might not wish this for a name? Such as ="Thatcher" as a name taken for someone who fixes the roof.... yer. This is more RP than any made to do name considering it's factual. So quit drawing the line closer on those that wish the names they want unless it's offensive. It is PVE/RP .... not RP or else. If you wish to enhance the RP spirit so greatly then lets see it chat, draw the community in by showing how much fun RP can be not how restrictive. No wonder I never see it in Rift.
    Last edited by baldurwolfer; 05-17-2012 at 10:06 PM.

I understand in a perfect RP world everybody would have original creative names that wouldn't offend anybody.... but really? As long as it's not vulgar or offensive on a level that is omg obvious... let the people that pay .. play with the names they like. Too many no life "RP" Hardcore blah blah runnin around reporting people for their names. What? Is there some master list I don't know of that exists with guidlines of what people can be named? Sure pop culture Icons etc.... but if someone can name their kid "Apple" in real life then where do you draw lines? I have been witness to more than a few names that people have lost that they chose to exhibit their individuality. So for all you people that have nothin better to do than report others to try to gain favor with Trion..... you fail in my book, for you strive for recognition on the demise of freedom itself and at the exspense of others ..... gratz
    People who report names that violate the Terms of Use of Rift, do not seek "recognition" on the "demise of freedom" and the expense of others. Just as there are people around who do not care about the naming rules and regulations, there are people who take offense and people which gaming experience get's ruined to some extend when Superman01259 jumps along on the screen.
    We're talking to an extend where the immersion with the world breaks, which is something not only roleplayers pursue but also a great deal of other people. When the immersion is broken, the game experience for these people gets less fun.
    And obviously people have a right to experience the game in a fun way, right?
    If I were to weigh it up, I'd reckon Superman01259 wouldn't be half as annoyed over having to change his name as someone who repeatedly can't enjoy the game because of the people they're supposed to play with.
    These people tend to gather on roleplay servers, some roleplay themselves, some don't - but most people know that naming policies tend to be strict on RP servers.
    The current naming rules in the Terms of Use were never really aimed at roleplay servers specifically. They were expanded a little upon after a demand, but more to give leeway for someone to be called something that would fit into the Rift universe but perhaps break one of the other rules. Or at least that's how I see it - it was after the roleplayers requested that more attention was payed towards this issue at least on an RP server.
    And well, if you play on a roleplay server you should be able to respect how things, and other people, are in my eyes - the likelihood of someone getting reported for a name violation is probably a bit higher on an RP server than on a normal server ^^

As for the copyrighted names in character names, I don't really think Trion has a choice. If someone has copyrighted a name, they need to give permission for it's use beyond what goes under the fair use of creativity law, and if Trion had say, 2000 names that potentially violate the copyrights around in the world? And if they then get a no from some but not all?
    That'd be one living hell of a mess, the easier and fairer way in my eyes is to just enforce their naming policy.

It would make absolutely as much sense to say "to those with no life, suck it up, your name wasn't good enough". There's no reason to assume that the people reporting names are the ones at fault.

Given how very lackadaisical the name enforcement in Rift is, I really don't think there's grounds for a meaningful complaint here. If you manage to come up with a name far enough out of bounds that the GMs will do something, it was out of bounds.

Yes, that means some "RP" concepts won't work -- because they are too far from the established rules. That is part of the nature of RPing in a setting.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    As for the copyrighted names in character names, I don't really think Trion has a choice. If someone has copyrighted a name,
    Pedantic moment:

No one has ever copyrighted a name, any more than they've copyrighted a single word or a rock. Names are not a kind of thing which are subject to copyright. In some cases, a character may enjoy copyright protection, and names may be trademarked, but these are not quite the same thing.

(I am not a lawyer, etc., but everyone seems pretty consistent on this one.)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Pedantic moment:

No one has ever copyrighted a name, any more than they've copyrighted a single word or a rock. Names are not a kind of thing which are subject to copyright. In some cases, a character may enjoy copyright protection, and names may be trademarked, but these are not quite the same thing.

(I am not a lawyer, etc., but everyone seems pretty consistent on this one.)
    Ah yes, my bad on the wording there, it's pretty much this I meant. Legal terms are not my strong side

The name that brought this discussion to light was not "superman" or any such pop icon. So my arbitration is for the freedom of being called something that was two words put together. If it's such a violation then how can Dulan Hammerfist exist as an NPC? So should Trion not change his name? Neither word that was used was vulgar or such, yet because somebody feels the need complain then a raid got blown up cause our tank gets force logged? How about we don't think your name is ok, would you mind on next log changing it or express your view on the matter. When is guilty until proven innocent the standard? So compound / word names are ok as long as it sounds cool to whom? I guess whoever invented Mr. Hammerfist? For the record.. our tanks name was one he chose to signify his actions as a tank. Obviously 'if he had taken such a name and it's not offensive then what is the issue? Not good enough ? So yes freedom is an issue and to encroach upon the issue is a point I find not within the spirit of the game. TOS ....yes ... understood, but really must we batter those that we feel don't conform to a few peoples impossibly high standard that can't be defined.

Rift Chaser

What was the name that got changed?
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

As the matter is under appeal ... I find myself hesitant to devulge any information specific to the matter. Regardless of a more favorable or unfavorable sway any argumentmight bring about by this thread, my purpose is to bring to light the actions of what I consider to promote dissention among what is a much larger gaming base. I myself feel drawn to want to indulge in the RP lifestyle but am driven further away again by the rules imposed by what I feel is cowardice sheilded in anonymity. If you dont like someones name then bring it forth yourself and argue the point. If it is to me a true representation of "RP", then what appearance of the fainthearted do they bring to the table. Bring your sword and carry your voice to those you find to be too weak to stand against the evil that befalls this land. Sway them to find the path that will lead us to cleanse away those that would dare call themselves our eneimies..... not spend time with arguments that clearly take time from tilting a fresh mug of mead.
    Last edited by baldurwolfer; 05-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.

The name that brought this discussion to light was not "superman" or any such pop icon. So my arbitration is for the freedom of being called something that was two words put together.
    That's odd, because that's part of WoW's naming policy, but "two words together" isn't part of Rift's.

If it's such a violation then how can Dulan Hammerfist exist as an NPC?
    NPCs are not subject to the naming rules, because Trion is deciding them directly. The naming rules are clearer so they can be enforced by many GMs reasonably consistently, but they are slightly more restrictive than the names given to NPCs.

How about we don't think your name is ok, would you mind on next log changing it or express your view on the matter. When is guilty until proven innocent the standard?
    Your view is irrelevant; you're not a GM. I'm not fond of that, but I recognize that you can't make a working enforcement system for a game without it. "Guilty" and "innocent" are irrelevant, because no one's talking about crimes here.

So yes freedom is an issue
    No, it really isn't. They posted the rules, you can read the rules, you can follow them or play on a non-RP server.

and to encroach upon the issue is a point I find not within the spirit of the game. TOS ....yes ... understood, but really must we batter those that we feel don't conform to a few peoples impossibly high standard that can't be defined.
    Posted. Rules.

Read them or don't. If you think the GM was wrong, open a ticket. So far, though, I've never once seen them force a name change on a name that didn't obviously break the rules. Heck, I've mostly seen them not change names that obviously broke the rules, although that was a while back.

That's odd, because that's part of WoW's naming policy, but "two words together" isn't part of Rift's.

***** You are correct he won the appeal

NPCs are not subject to the naming rules, because Trion is deciding them directly. The naming rules are clearer so they can be enforced by many GMs reasonably consistently, but they are slightly more restrictive than the names given to NPCs.

*****Since he won the appeal this point is mute

Your view is irrelevant; you're not a GM. I'm not fond of that, but I recognize that you can't make a working enforcement system for a game without it. "Guilty" and "innocent" are irrelevant, because no one's talking about crimes here.

*****My point should be revlevant as a member of the gaming community. My point on guilty or innocent is correlative on the fact he was force logged without any consideration. It was proven not to be a violation yet gameplay time was cut off before any argument to the fact could be made. So easy to point the finger, yet so hard to give back the time taken to resolve this issue. Simply put.... don't slam the bam hammer unless you know your right. I have found Trion to be above and beyond all support I have seen from any other mmo. This issue has been brought to light and I hope we have all learned a bit more in life.

No, it really isn't. They posted the rules, you can read the rules, you can follow them or play on a non-RP server.

****I read the rules and found no violation... that was my issue. This thread is moreover to build a better RP community by helping people to understand the downfalls of running around reporting people instead of encouraging the things they wish to see more often. Anger begets anger... fact of life.

Read them or don't. If you think the GM was wrong, open a ticket. So far, though, I've never once seen them force a name change on a name that didn't obviously break the rules. Heck, I've mostly seen them not change names that obviously broke the rules, although that was a while back

**** He sure did and won. Had you seen it, you could now say you have, but sadly.. tis but a passing conversation to reflect upon.

In closing: Hope to see more RP in the future. Glad Trion has such a great customer service base that has far exceeded my expectations already. Above all I hope this discussion may have brought to light a more subtle approach to encourage others rather than deter players from the RP community

It's not unheard of for GMs to make mistakes. One of the reasons I like Rift is that they are pretty good about fixing their mistakes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast