+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Taking the RP community's temperature.. How are the servers doing?

Default Taking the RP community's temperature.. How are the servers doing?

Most of you will not remember me. As it's been a really long time. RL Happened, blah blah, things are better.. ect, ect.

To put it bluntly.. I'm looking to get back into the game/MMO environment and I haven't a clue where to start. Life intervened very early on after Rift's release and I don't have much in the way of high level characters as a result. So I will be starting from scratch no matter what I do.

My question is - What's the state of things? Factions, guilds, servers, any active RP communities?

RiftRP.net still seems to be "alive" in the sense that it's still up and I still have admin privileges, but it's dead in terms of activity. If there's any interest, I'll try to do some revival there. Otherwise, moving on utterly does not seem a bad idea.

But, ultimately I am asking as someone who just wants to start playing, RPing when I can and just playing the damned game.

I have 3 days free, and will get a card friday. I can post until Thursday.

Edit: I should have peeked around a bit first. Apparently there's only one US shard. So that's where I'll be.
    Last edited by Delith; 05-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.

If I do say so myself, I think the biggest change may be that biographies and such can now be handled by addons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Thank goodness.

Welcome back to Telara!

It's not so long ago that the US rp servers become one, but it sort of was something at least I expected to see happen when they made Firesand (the only other RP shard on EU side) a trial shard and obviously forced people to go to Argent.

As for Riftrp, I liked the site when it was there and active, but I think you'll have to research into if there is a need for it as such. A lot of people have accepted that it's on the forums here that things gets talked about and such, shard forums are used for planning and so on. By now Argent also has it's own archive style-site (akin to the Laurelin Archives for LOTRO) for character profiles and journals. Not sure if Faeblight has a site for that.
    And ultimatively if you want to pour the time into it that it would take, if I was in your shoes I'd probably get back into the swing of things before taking on a project ^^

Nice to see the tendency of people returning

Our server is pretty quiet. Clandestine are doing alright. Otherwise you're in a dead zone. Ahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    Our server is pretty quiet. Clandestine are doing alright. Otherwise you're in a dead zone. Ahahahaha.
    Quiet? You must be looking the wrong places

Well I don't know about that - I'm on the main roleplaying portal. I'm in the Clandestine channel. I'm in the RiftRP channel. You're the community ambassador, you tell me where I'm looking wrong or where I've not supported/listened to/created open plans

There is very little spontaneous RP around on Argent, which is a fair assessment to make - most RP occurs by arrangement, or notice in advance. In your guild's case, I wouldn't know the arrangements since the events are not open or advertised, simply due to its nature - I wouldn't expect to either. It's a neutral secret guild.

That said, it's the observation nearly every new face on Argent makes when joining the RP channel "Gee, I see it's quiet, where's the RP hubs" and nine times out of ten, myself included in those who go about reassuring that no, RP does exist, etc etc. But it is very quiet. It's a shame, I wish it was otherwise, but that's the state of things for EU.

My experience has been that people in MMOs are often unwilling to be the one to start a conversation, but a little chatter gets them moving. See also "stochastic noise".
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Join my guild <Lastlight's Hope> on Defiant Faeblight :P. You get Officer status to invite as many RPers as you wish! If you're Guardian though, I can't help you. With mentoring likely coming in the next patch, it means that if we keep in touch (I'm Malkose), I'd be happy to join in your questing and whatnot.

Um... but I don't know how the RP temperature is. I know it *exists* and I see a bunch of RPers around, doing their thing, but I can't tell you exactly what's up. Good to see you on the forums again.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 05-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    Well I don't know about that - I'm on the main roleplaying portal. I'm in the Clandestine channel. I'm in the RiftRP channel. You're the community ambassador, you tell me where I'm looking wrong or where I've not supported/listened to/created open plans

There is very little spontaneous RP around on Argent, which is a fair assessment to make - most RP occurs by arrangement, or notice in advance. In your guild's case, I wouldn't know the arrangements since the events are not open or advertised, simply due to its nature - I wouldn't expect to either. It's a neutral secret guild.

That said, it's the observation nearly every new face on Argent makes when joining the RP channel "Gee, I see it's quiet, where's the RP hubs" and nine times out of ten, myself included in those who go about reassuring that no, RP does exist, etc etc. But it is very quiet. It's a shame, I wish it was otherwise, but that's the state of things for EU.
    The reason why I say that nothing is dead on Argent right now, is because I've seen the shard go through much worse cases of silence and still make it out of it - Last summer, for example, had death spelled all over it but then it all turned around. In comparison, Argent is currently thriving.

As for spontaneous RP, that's not something people should expect to feed of on the shard no - and that is a direct consequence of our small number. But it doesn't mean it can't change - it all depends on how people view it. To me, the more you proclaim things to be dead, the more dead-ness you'll see. On the flipside, if you give people a slap and tell them to come out of their hideyholes, you'll see more life.
    I've grown to dislike the term "There is no RP around" because in 9/10 times, it boils down to the fact that people thinking standing around in a bar, in silence, is going to spark things up - Being proactive, asking about on the RP channel (which no one seems to do, really) about if anyone wishes to kick up some rp can get you a long way. As for not being an organizy-type of person, my experience is that you don't need more than a reason for being somewhere in order to get something on the go.
    If you want some help with it, please feel free to tug my sleeve.

As for my guild, we do a fair amount of RP in Argent Glade and Fortunes Shore, most of what happens in AG is completely open and it's only really when we go into a house in Fortunes shore and shut the door that we don't exactly expect people. I'd love to do open events, but it's unfortunately not in the nature of my character or the guild itself which is a real shame - if I had predicted that a year ago, I'd have made some changes.
    However a lot of Clandestinian characters are approachable, and I know many would be likely to show up if they were asked if they wanted to do some casual RP of a sort. Just because someone is with us doesn't necessarily mean that the sky is going to fall down when they have a cup of tea in AG ^^

The whole "Everything seems quiet so I'll stay quiet"-approach to things doesn't help anyone

*puts her two silvers in a box*

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    The reason why I say that nothing is dead on Argent right now, is because I've seen the shard go through much worse cases of silence and still make it out of it - Last summer, for example, had death spelled all over it but then it all turned around. In comparison, Argent is currently thriving.

As for spontaneous RP, that's not something people should expect to feed of on the shard no - and that is a direct consequence of our small number. But it doesn't mean it can't change - it all depends on how people view it. To me, the more you proclaim things to be dead, the more dead-ness you'll see. On the flipside, if you give people a slap and tell them to come out of their hideyholes, you'll see more life.
    I've grown to dislike the term "There is no RP around" because in 9/10 times, it boils down to the fact that people thinking standing around in a bar, in silence, is going to spark things up - Being proactive, asking about on the RP channel (which no one seems to do, really) about if anyone wishes to kick up some rp can get you a long way. As for not being an organizy-type of person, my experience is that you don't need more than a reason for being somewhere in order to get something on the go.
    If you want some help with it, please feel free to tug my sleeve.

As for my guild, we do a fair amount of RP in Argent Glade and Fortunes Shore, most of what happens in AG is completely open and it's only really when we go into a house in Fortunes shore and shut the door that we don't exactly expect people. I'd love to do open events, but it's unfortunately not in the nature of my character or the guild itself which is a real shame - if I had predicted that a year ago, I'd have made some changes.
    However a lot of Clandestinian characters are approachable, and I know many would be likely to show up if they were asked if they wanted to do some casual RP of a sort. Just because someone is with us doesn't necessarily mean that the sky is going to fall down when they have a cup of tea in AG ^^

The whole "Everything seems quiet so I'll stay quiet"-approach to things doesn't help anyone

*puts her two silvers in a box*
    This is a very good approach to take.

Ascendant

Not sure about servers as I haven't played since they destroyed the in-game walk. Not coming back till its fixed. RPG in this game is pretty thin anyway without doing such things. But I do believe the creators are only interested in feeding their core band of players who raid. I am guessing its a number that just keeps paying the wages. Never mind... I'll keep my avatar as a reminder of how it was before that black day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    Not sure about servers as I haven't played since they destroyed the in-game walk. Not coming back till its fixed. RPG in this game is pretty thin anyway without doing such things. But I do believe the creators are only interested in feeding their core band of players who raid. I am guessing its a number that just keeps paying the wages. Never mind... I'll keep my avatar as a reminder of how it was before that black day.
    They need to fix the walk. I looks ridiculous.

Soulwalker

Default Looking for an RP guild in an RP server :(

I'm a pretty experienced role-player, decent English, 4/5 grammar, and mature. I can be childish sometimes but it's just for the "lols" of it. I don't take it too far when I am childish though . I'm very experienced MMORPG-wise. I'm active, willing to move to any server, currently just returned to the game, after the death of Firesand (Farewell ;_;), I have a level 25+ High Elf warrior.

If any of you guys play on Faeblight, roll a Guardian and hit up anyone form <Petals of Mariel-Taun>. Best guild I've been in in Rift since my guild broke up in EQ2.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast