+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Time

Plane Walker

Default Time

if I were to give a character a birth time, the months being the moons, what moon are we in if I created one this month, the 13th or 14th? or 15th? and what timeline/age would it be, the Age of the Ascended?

Plane Walker

or maybe a better frame of time would be, to have become Ascended on the 4th moon (April) of the War of the Wanton Maw since this is a World event?

As far as I know, years are referred to as "the year of the (event/person)" and personally I have days called "cycles" but months are just months. I'm not sure we have any descriptions of how the calendar year works other than that bit with the years.

Plane Walker

Thanks Talila, I remember reading something about the moons as well being seen as months on Telara, though I can't remember where I read it.

I was starting to imagine what I would write in these roleplay add-ons that come :) adding an ascended birth date to characters that are more newly created, entering into Telara during different times. It might be confusing though as the game of Rift becomes older and 20 years become 21 and 22.

Plane Walker

I found where I read this :)

http://riftrp.net/index.php?topic=1348.0

under question #7

I found dates in one of the collectible books as well, in the royal record of hammerknell, dates are listed like this:
    Fifth day of the Seventh Moon in 1489th year of the Ward

So yeah there is indeed moons, good thing to know!

Rift Disciple

There's reference to how dates/time works in the official Lore Q&A:

Question 7: Can you elaborate on how the calendar year works?

Telarans measure the year by the moons, which are roughly equivalent to our own months, as there are twelve of them within a year’s span. So, for example, march would be the 3rd moon of the year.

The equivalent of our own 0 year is the year that the Ward was erected to keep the Blood Storm at bay.
    Making this the 1509th calendar year since that date. Within the lands of the Mathosian Empire, it is
    commonplace to name a year after a significant event that year rather than to refer it by the number. So
    you might find references to “The Year of the Tyrant”, as was the year Aedraxis was crowned.

Leaves on the Wind, RP-Heavy Guardian Guild on Faeblight
    Do you Merisioux? Rift's newest RP Addon!

Plane Walker

"Telarans measure the year by the moons, which are roughly equivalent to our own months, as there are twelve of them within a year’s span. So, for example, march would be the 3rd moon of the year.

The equivalent of our own 0 year is the year that the Ward was erected to keep the Blood Storm at bay.
    Making this the 1509th calendar year since that date. Within the lands of the Mathosian Empire, it is
    commonplace to name a year after a significant event that year rather than to refer it by the number. So you might find references to “The Year of the Tyrant”, as was the year Aedraxis was crowned."

so, it being April now, then the date in Telara would be the calender year of 1516 or 1601? or if not referring to a number like the Mathosian Empire did, are the world events considered significant events? or should these events have had to run longer to consider them this, so The year of the Ascended would be better as such? or could be considered an event?

and I guess what I ask as well, is that if a new character is created into the second year of Rift would they still have to 'pretend' that no time went by, or could they say they were ascended in the year of 1516 or 1601.

Plane Walker

or is it the year 1515 right now

Is it not 1510? How I read it, I think they refer as "this being the 1509th year since that that" to be 2011 for us.. It's been a year since so.. 1510?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Official Q&A

Since there is no "Year 0" in the Gregorian (or any others as far as I'm aware) calendar (it goes from 1 BCE/BC to 1 CE/AD) does that mean that the Ward was erected in 1 Ward or 1 Pre-Ward? Or is there actually a Year 0 in Telara?

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Current date in Telara is:

18th day of the 4th moon in 1510, Year of the Ascended.

Speaking of this, when are we getting an in-game clock/calender?
    what is this I don't even

Quote Originally Posted by Pines View Post
    Speaking of this, when are we getting an in-game clock/calender?
    Now that the Telara actually seems to revolve like a normal planet (1.8 lighting changes), we could theoretically put a sundial down somewhere to tell what "Telara time" is. At last now we can tell whether it's Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night.

For those who haven't been watching on the PTS, Telara's sun rises and sets now. You'll know the time of the day by the position of the sun in the sky.

The sun rises directly over the eastern horizon in the morning, does a high arc over the southern horizon, and sets west-northwest. I haven't watched the moon's movement as closely as the sun, but it appears to follow directly opposite the sun, a la minecraft.
    Last edited by Azchire; 04-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I'm not even going to speculate on this

However, I WILL tell my characters' stories.

Malkose, male Kelari rogue (ranger/marksman mainspec, bard offspec, working on setting up pure marksman spec sometime)
    -Born on Kelari Isles, perhaps one that has sunk
    -Gifted in magic and has an affinity with the beasts of the region, but intended to learn how to commune with the Telaran spirits
    -This was abruptly ended when he was a young man, as Maelforge swept over the land and Akylios sunk his home village (sorry, haven't done Ember Isle story yet). In this time, Malkose was forcibly split off from his family, as they were killed by corrupted spirits. This made him disregard almost all care for magic and planar affinity (except for his runebreaking now, and magic-related MM abilities).
    -He was forced to survive on his own, sniping planar agents whenever possible.
    -Death occured as he attempted to reach the Exodus. He failed in this, killed by an unknown Emberlord. His life goal is to stop Maelforge, so that makes Infernal Dawn the end of his initial character arc.

Sorry, just felt like finally writing something up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast