+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roleplay Question

Default Roleplay Question

Hey guys!

I'm a big fan of RPGs, be they singleplayer or multiplayer, and have done a lot of text-based RPs in the past. I have a level 50 character on a regular PvE server, but now that I'm looking to my next character I was considering going for an RP server. I want to get some more immersion in Rift, and I think this may be the way to do it.

So I have a few questions to those of you on RP servers or who have roleplayed in the past. Basically, is a basic familiarity with the lore (from reading quests and backstory as well as doing a bit of research) enough to begin with, or would it be better to have a more thorough understanding of the lore before getting started? I'll be doing my research and reading all the same while I go, but I just want to know whether it's worth doing that before moving on over to get started.

As for those of you who are roleplaying and don't really have an answer to that, what are your favourite things about RP servers? I've always heard that they have a generally more mature population, but have no firsthand experience of that myself.

Knowing lore is always a good thing when you want to step into RP, but you don't have to be an epic loregeek to start with. Everyone knows that knowledge comes along the way, and if you have specific questions about something then I'm sure that there's people around who can answer them

As for what I like the most, well generally RP shards tends to be more friendly minded (unless something went horribly wrong along the line, mind) - Argent for example has always had a kind tone, everyone can just jump in and ask questions without getting "lol l2p n00b" thrown in their face.
    And well of course that theres roleplay and other likeminded people there

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Knowing lore is always a good thing when you want to step into RP, but you don't have to be an epic loregeek to start with. Everyone knows that knowledge comes along the way, and if you have specific questions about something then I'm sure that there's people around who can answer them

As for what I like the most, well generally RP shards tends to be more friendly minded (unless something went horribly wrong along the line, mind) - Argent for example has always had a kind tone, everyone can just jump in and ask questions without getting "lol l2p n00b" thrown in their face.
    And well of course that theres roleplay and other likeminded people there
    Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm getting more excited by the idea the longer I think about it.

I'm looking forward to having some likeminded people to play with, and also the fact that most people seem to be a lot more friendly is a huge bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaretto View Post
    Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm getting more excited by the idea the longer I think about it.

I'm looking forward to having some likeminded people to play with, and also the fact that most people seem to be a lot more friendly is a huge bonus!
    Well if you should decide to roll on Argent EU guardians, feel free to poke ^^

Otherwise, most RP servers have a channel called Riftrp (Join by typing: /join Riftrp) which is ooc (out of character) and used for generally asking questions, chatting and notifying people of rp-initiatives around.

Soulwalker

If you decide to go Defiant side on Argent, try hanging around the training yard in Meridian. RP happens there regularly, often many times a day, every day. Can't hear yourself think sometimes

Plane Walker

the immersion for me began from reading only a little of the lore, a little of the background/lore of just the race I wanted to create and how they would fit into this world of Telara, and then as questions arose while playing this character, a wanting to know more of her, like her abilities as an ascended, led to more reading of the lore:)

Plane Walker

and as said, the lore is found not only on the rift forums, but through quests, and art and abilities and rifts and interactions.

Soulwalker

I concur with Talila and the other posters here I've been an RPer for more than 20 years on a variety of MMO's and MMORPG's and so far have been very impressed with the standard of RP on Argent and the friendliness of its RP community. It's so refreshing to see players RPing wherever they are regardless of location

Regards knowing the lore - yes, it is a big help and some heavy RP guilds prefer members have a good knowledge of it, but for the casual RPer it is not absolutely necessary for someone just starting out because you will learn the lore as you progress via questlines, forums and by listening to others when in/near an RP event.

On the Defiant side, you'll see/hear RPers in Meridian as Samag says in the Training Yard, also in, what I term, the beer tent at the bottom of the steps leading up into the city.

So come on in and enjoy the game and the immersive world of role play
    Sulaini
    Commander
    Marauders Guild (Defiant)

www.marauders-guild.org

+ Reply to Thread