+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Small" Rp-enhancing ideas

Default "Small" Rp-enhancing ideas

Okay so.. In the threads I've seen here thus far, it always seem like that the small ideas gets drowned in requests of larger additions or changes.

So I thought maybe we could try and work out some smaller ideas that could benefit the roleplayers, and potentially not make our dearest developers pass out due to sudden overload of big humungous request.
    So, try to avoid "large" ideas such as creating larger spaces for roleplay and costume pieces.

Now of course I realize that we can't really say precisely if something is a large task or not since none of us are developers working at trion, so of course we can't be 100% sure that what we're asking is not a secret version of mission impossible.

Anyways, here are some suggestions I could think about:

- More emotes added to the bunch. They don't necssesarily have to involve animations. Sometimes it's very nice to have emotes that we can target and type, it eases rp "on the go" for example when you pass a stranger on the street, and can also help a bit when there's a tonne of stuff going on - cases where using ye olde /me isn't that practical. One I can mention that I think is missing is: /pat - (player) pats (target) on the head

>> Addition to this that might be a bit more challenging: An emote to "flag" yourself as Roleplaying. It could be as "simple" as casting /roleplayon and then a <Roleplaying> tag could appear next to your name, a la how /afk works. And then type /roleplayoff to make it go away again.
    Alternatively it could be /ic and /ooc (Ic = in character, ooc = out of character)

- Making things walk. Perhaps one that is a little bit challenging, but if it could be applied to just -some- mounts/pets it would be great. The horse for example desperately calls for a walking animation, it's very useable for roleplayers that play nomad-like types that never sits still for that long. And well, in some cases it's definitely safer to ride than to walk in Telara, but roleplaying on a 120% mount? Unless you want to run into trees/rocks/mountains it's not really going to happen.
    The other part of it is the minipets, they looove to run and thats great.. Except for when you're in walk-mode and they sort of stay in one place for a while and suddenly runs up to you, rinse repeat.

- Pop-up or similar notification on the Server Selection Screen that notifies the player that they're about to roll on a roleplay server and that additional rules/conditions will be in effect. Where as it won't completely kill the rp-griefing we see, it could lead to people having a better understanding of why they shouldn't jump around like monkeys in the Argent Glade inn.

- Potential new colors to the dye vendor? Not sure how large of a task this is, but you know.. Every merchant must innovate to keep up with the market demand, right?

- Vanity items, even a few items now and then can keep us happy for a long time. Think of them as epic weapons but for roleplayers.
    I suggest:
    Pet accessories, such as a leash, a treat you can throw to them etc
    "Setting the mood items" - Candles, blankets, picnic baskets, tents.. (though I heard the word tent being mentioned for the upcoming survival skill)
    Dices you can toss (or maybe one huge dice?) either with numbers or perhaps some activity suggestions like "Raid, instance, instant adventure"

- More drinks around the taverns, to add a bit more quirks in the regions. I remember there being a drunk-ness effect from one of the previous world events. Could we have this on some select normal alcoholic drinks in game?

So yeah.. That's at least some things I thought of. I don't know if I am thinking small enough, but yeah feel free to comment on them or suggest stuff yourself and such Think small!

I'd love a /petsay command that would allow me to speak via my pet.
    Remeber He-Man? I think he had a giant talking cat, and everytime I see the beastmaster pet I wish I could make him say things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanel32 View Post
    A little sexism each day keeps the bikini's at bay.. nothing to see here folks.

I agree with all that you have said Tas! I'd rather see a lot of small changes than a single big development.

Interactive chairs.

Also, I would love to see a tab added to the character (hotkey 'c') screen where you can put a little RP background blurb up. Literally, I would love to just see a blank space where I can type and save whatever message I want. Maybe it's a backstory, more likely it's just a, "Before you is a young woman with hair the color of..." At an absolute minimum, it would help me remember those people that I only RP with every once in a blue moon.
    Give me fuel, give me fire...
    Give me that which I desire...
    Some just want to watch the world burn

Rift Chaser

Good thread.

Would guess that "large" features would include those requiring new art-work assets, such as models, animations or voice-overs. So that would include walking mounts, new costumes and sitting on chairs (not that all those things wouldn't be great to have, but think that's the kind of thing that asking for might be a bit over-optimistic). Also, more customer support (to enforce policies more actively) would be a "large" thing, because of the amount of GM time required to do so. We're looking for the kind of thing that can be programmed by one developer in a short time.

Favourite suggestions from the thread so far:
    1. Popup notification when creating a character or transferring one to an RP shard, detailing the RP policy.

2. "I'm a roleplayer" flag that you can set on your character and then have it be seen by other people, so that they can know whether it's worth approaching you to roleplay.

3. More "standard" emote commands. When we first played this game coming from WoW, it felt like the emote command set was very lacking; WoW's is much richer. (When we played SWTOR, however, it felt like Rift's emote-set was much richer in comparison, so hope this isn't a downwards trend for future MMO development...)

Additional suggestions:
    1. Another post from Krunkatron (or another developer)! We haven't had any update in this thread since November and we could be forgiven for starting to feel abandonned again

2. Pet "go to" command. As a major user of pet roleplay, I'd love to be able to control my pet's movements independently of my own, with a command that makes the pet move to a targeted location. This would also probably be a feature that would appeal to non-roleplayers on normal shards, since it would also have some small tactical combat value, and just generally be fun. See WoW's hunter/warlock/death knight pets for how it should work.

3. More features from the kind of roleplay addons that exist in WoW (in addition to the "I'm a roleplayer" flag), such as the ability to type a short physical description for your character, which can be seen by other players when clicking on you.

4. Surnames. There are a range of levels at which this could be implemented. The "smallest" version would be just another field (like the description) into which you could enter a surname that would then be visible on your tooltip (maybe on your name tag, but since titles are important vanity rewards in this game, perhaps they don't want people inventing their own or entering ones that they haven't earned - could restrict it to one word, though).

A fuller but more difficult implementation of surnames, and one that would probably be welcomed by non-roleplayers as well, would be to allow surnames to be entered at character creation and make it part of the character's unique name on the shard. As well as being beneficial to RPers, this also would solve the problem of people losing their names when transferring shards (or being forced to transfer due to trial conversion), which is something that a lot of people don't like. So two people with the same name could exist on the same server, so long as they had different surnames.

Any console commands that take a character name as a parameter (/tell, /invite etc) could still allow you to type only the first name (or only the surname) as a convenience, and then bring up a disambiguation popup dialog if there was more than one person with that partial name online.

5. Buff druids <.<
    Last edited by Feine; 03-10-2012 at 02:22 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    1. Another post from Krunkatron (or another developer)! We haven't had any update in this thread since November and we could be forgiven for starting to feel abandonned again
    Hadn't seen this post today from Elrar when writing this, so will let them off slightly on that front, although more of an update on what features they're actually thinking about implementing would be nice

Some more ideas that we forgot to add in our main post:
    1. Wardrobe: relax or remove restrictions on gear types that can be displayed in the wardrobe. Would allow much more flexibility for roleplayers in creating their own outfits and combinations.

2. Weapon wardrobe slots. This has been asked for a lot by non-roleplayers as well. Should probably still be restricted to weapons equippable by your calling, and only allow 1H to replace 1H, 2H to replace 2H, shield to replace shield etc.
    Last edited by Feine; 03-10-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Hadn't seen this post today from Elrar when writing this, so will let them off slightly on that front, although more of an update on what features they're actually thinking about implementing would be nice

Some more ideas that we forgot to add in our main post:
    1. Wardrobe: relax or remove restrictions on gear types that can be displayed in the wardrobe. Would allow much more flexibility for roleplayers in creating their own outfits and combinations.

2. Weapon wardrobe slots. This has been asked for a lot by non-roleplayers as well. Should probably still be restricted to weapons equippable by your calling, and only allow 1H to replace 1H, 2H to replace 2H, shield to replace shield etc.
    On the weapon wardrobe: I remember them mentioning somewhere on the forum (pardon me for not finding the exact post) that weapon wardrobes is very difficult because they would have to do some changes to the fighting animations (or something in that direction) which is a pretty huge task.

An alternative to relaxing on the wardrobe system globally and thus potentially awakening the wrath of the pvp'ers, could be to simply make warfronts "non-wardrobe" zones where the wardrobe is automatically turned off.
    As for world pvp, I reckon the wardrobe system just adds to the challenge that is world pvp.
    Though maybe someone should point out to them too that they can recognize classes on more than just what they wear.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    On the weapon wardrobe: I remember them mentioning somewhere on the forum (pardon me for not finding the exact post) that weapon wardrobes is very difficult because they would have to do some changes to the fighting animations (or something in that direction) which is a pretty huge task.
    Don't see that it would involve creating any new animations. All weapon types already have an animation, which could just be reused.

The issue might be the speed of animations, eg, 1H daggers swing faster (1.8 sec) and thus animate faster than, say, 1H axes (2.4 sec). So say you were a rogue with daggers really equipped, but you were showing axes in your wardrobe. Combat rules would require you to strike every 1.8 seconds with each hand, but the axe animation might take longer than this, meaning there isn't time to fit it in for each strike. But does the animation of a weapon swing really take up the entire time between swings? Don't think so.

An alternative to relaxing on the wardrobe system globally and thus potentially awakening the wrath of the pvp'ers, could be to simply make warfronts "non-wardrobe" zones where the wardrobe is automatically turned off.
    As for world pvp, I reckon the wardrobe system just adds to the challenge that is world pvp.
    Though maybe someone should point out to them too that they can recognize classes on more than just what they wear.
    Since already everyone can wear anything from full Mathosian plate armour, to a wedding dress, even in PvP, the restrictions seem a bit pointless.
    Last edited by Feine; 03-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Since already everyone can wear anything from full Mathosian plate armour, to a wedding dress, even in PvP, the restrictions seem a bit pointless.
    Well yes, but I tried explaining this to one of the "No I can't tell the difference between a rogue an a mage"-people and they're immune to reason it seems o.o Was simply just mentioning it as a potential compromise. Ie so we get the non-restricted version of the wardrobe out in the world, but if we enter a warfront it gets turned off automatically until we're outside of the WF again.

Found the post! From one of the Dev. Q&A's.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...nges-more.html
    Chronicles and the latest World Events have awesome looking costume weapons, but no wardrobe slot for them – are there plans to allow you to change the look of your weapon through the wardrobe feature?

Adding Wardrobe weapon slots is a topic that comes up pretty frequently around the office. That being said we won’t be adding them in the near future =( Overriding a weapons appearance is much trickier then changing the appearance of a helmet or a pair of boots. It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP. As such it’s not quite as easy to just toss in as people might assume.
    Last edited by Talila; 03-10-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Rift Chaser

As for disabling wardrobe altogether in Warfronts, that was actually in the patch notes for 1.5 at one point, but got reverted before live due to the outcry against it (actually, it was to disable wardrobe from the point of view of the opposite faction, in Warfronts and out):

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...pts-forum.html

Still wouldn't like to see that as a solution though, for the same reasons as before - people still care a lot about their appearance, even in Warfronts.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Found the post! From one of the Dev. Q&A's.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...nges-more.html
    Chronicles and the latest World Events have awesome looking costume weapons, but no wardrobe slot for them are there plans to allow you to change the look of your weapon through the wardrobe feature?

Adding Wardrobe weapon slots is a topic that comes up pretty frequently around the office. That being said we wont be adding them in the near future =( Overriding a weapons appearance is much trickier then changing the appearance of a helmet or a pair of boots. It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP. As such its not quite as easy to just toss in as people might assume.
    That paragraph doesn't really make sense, though. Don't think anyone is suggesting that you should be able to equip one type of weapon and have it do the animation of another type of weapon.

The animation of the visible weapon should obviously be used, as if you actually had it eqiupped. Restricting it to weapons that your calling can equip, and restricting it to 1H -> 1H, 2H -> 2H, Shield -> Shield would address the concern of identifying your opponent and their combat style.

These restrictions also mean that the animation problem would be a non-issue, since, for example, mages wouldn't be able to display 2H swords, and so there would be no need for a casting animation with a 2H sword.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

The animation of the visible weapon should obviously be used, as if you actually had it eqiupped. Restricting it to weapons that your calling can equip, and restricting it to 1H -> 1H, 2H -> 2H, Shield -> Shield would address the concern of identifying your opponent and their combat style.
    Um, this? I'm glad someone else brought it up because it seems like a very obvious workaround, albeit a pretty big compromise on what I think people are asking for. Doing it this way seems like it would at least be a bandaid, or perhaps, more appropriately, an olive branch of sorts to the community requesting it.
    Give me fuel, give me fire...
    Give me that which I desire...
    Some just want to watch the world burn

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrenne View Post
    Um, this? I'm glad someone else brought it up because it seems like a very obvious workaround, albeit a pretty big compromise on what I think people are asking for. Doing it this way seems like it would at least be a bandaid, or perhaps, more appropriately, an olive branch of sorts to the community requesting it.
    Quite.

However, we can see that even doing it this way would be a little bit more complicated than the armour wardrobe slots, because suddenly which items you can equip in your wardrobe becomes dependent on what you've actually got equipped on your character, whereas currently it's only dependent on your calling (which doesn't change).

They would have to add code (with appropriate error messages and stuff) to cope with situations like:
    1. Equip two 1H weapons on your actual weapon slots.
    2. Give those 1H weapons the appearance of two other 1H weapons of your choice, by equipping them in wardrobe slots.
    3. Now change your actual equipped weapon to a 2Her.

What happens to the 1H weapons in the wardrobe now? Possibilities:
    1. You're disallowed from taking the action that produced the inconsistency. Ie, when you try to equip the 2Her you get an error message, because you have 1Hers in your currently active wardrobe. Or..
    2. When you make a change that would cause an inconsistency, you switch automatically to "no wardrobe", and can't switch back to the offending wardrobe until you change it. (Further problem: currently you can't change a wardrobe without switching to it first.)

So it's still not completely simple, even though it gets round the animation and class-identification issues. Not insurmountable issues by any means, but still a little more complicated than the current wardrobe implementation.

Anyway, this thread seems in danger (due in no small part to ourselves, we admit) of becoming another weapon wardrobe thread, of which there are plenty already, so perhaps we can consider that suggestion made, and try to continue to come up with some more easy-win quality of life improvements for roleplayers .
    Last edited by Feine; 03-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Something small and along the lines of interactive chairs - is being able to sit without having to type /sit. To hotkey it would be nice. Maybe I'm dumb, maybe you can do this already... /plays violin.

The IC tickbox would be nice, so would surnames.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast