+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What defines *good* roleplay to you?

Shadowlander

Default What defines *good* roleplay to you?

Simple question. As Faeblight has accumulated refugees from other shards, the question has come to my mind often. I know most of us feel roleplay has become so rare we'll take what we can get.

However, what do you think defines good, quality roleplay?

Sword of Telara

Thinking on your feet.

It's all well and good to come up with an elaborate backstory, a grandiose plan. It's another entirely to put it out into the wild and improvise - successfully.

It's the same thing that differs great DMs from "that dumbass we visit once a week who railroads everything".

A good roleplay is a roleplay I enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanel32 View Post
    A little sexism each day keeps the bikini's at bay.. nothing to see here folks.

Interactive stuff, for me. I like setting up plotlines for people rather than have them dance to my strings about my character's onerous burden as a blind badger, or whatever. Emotes that invite a conversation, or let you know what's going on, are always +1.

It's nice when people are comfortable enough with their character to know how to respond to things, without there being a sudden lurch in the conversation or a re-direct back to themselves.

Imagination.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    Interactive stuff, for me. I like setting up plotlines for people rather than have them dance to my strings about my character's onerous burden as a blind badger, or whatever. Emotes that invite a conversation, or let you know what's going on, are always +1.
    I second this! Running plots for others' enjoyment is just as satisfying to me as partaking in them myself. I love surprising other players with plot twists, and watching them come up with some VERY creative solutions that I never would have considered.

I am also not a big fan of chit-chat...if I'm going to sit down to a conversation, I'd rather discuss something meaningful to either my character or to the person I'm talking with. I love delving into their backstory and comparing world viewpoints on whatever topics our conversation happens to turn to. As a result, I end up being not very good with large-group-RP...but to each their own, right? ;-)
    "You haven't just crossed over to the Dark Side...you're baking the damn cookies!"

Plane Walker

no out of character brackets when engaged in roleplaying, like ((thanks for the roleplay, I have to go to work now)) in the same channel you were just roleplaying in, whispers are better I feel for letting someone know this.

+ Reply to Thread