+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'd like to hear about your Defiant Clerics

Telaran

Default I'd like to hear about your Defiant Clerics

Something hit me while my brain was turning to mush camping mobs yesterday.

This is the first game where I'm playing an atheist. On this thread I almost wrote out "For the love of Drulkar"... My last 5 or 6 characters all had Gods to believe in and contributed to their stories.

From what I gather in the books and the newest "Meet the Faceless Man" article, having faith in a God as Defiant is crime.
    I'm a cleric though.... so.... what am I? While I'm not an avid RPer, I do like coming up with back stories for my characters. How have other people handled this situation?
    Last edited by Fireseeker; 07-15-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Defiant overall aren't really atheist as much as they are a faction that no longer believes the gods have the power to help save Telara. They acknowledge the Vigil's existence, but doubt their power.

My Bahmi cleric has a cold anger for the Vigil thinking them weak and too far out of touch with reality. She thinks they are irrational, overbearing, and stubborn because of their stance on magi-tech. Characteristics she believes will doom the world. If the Vigil and Guardians won't get over themselves and help end the threat of the Blood Storm then they need to get out of the way and let those with a backbone and clarity of thought do it.

Many cleric souls have nothing to do with religion/faith. I think it's really Sentinel and Justicar that mention divine power and conviction in their descriptions. The rest of the souls can easily be fit into Defiant RP. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

Purifier would work well with Kelari--you can RP that the fire-based healing is from a pact with a fire demon/spirit/whatever. You could go this same route with Cabalist or Warden, too.

Inquisitor soul could work well for cleric characters who weigh and judge and are concerned with justice or truth-finding.

Shaman always seemed like it would pair well with Bahmi, imo.

Anyway, take a look at the individual souls and see how their abilities might fit with your char's race or backstory and I'm sure you'll find that you can easily play a cleric character without basing it on Vigil-worship!

cleric - faeblight - <legacy of the covenant>

Telaran

it's not a crime to be a deist, it's belief in the vigil SPECIFICALLY that is pretty much forbidden, because the guardians are kinda anal about that sort of thing, and have given the entire group a bad name >>;

worshiping individual spirits and your ancestors is totally cool though, even expected of you if you're Kelari :P
    A thread for roleplaying newblets and veterans alike: A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Fireseeker View Post
    I'm a cleric though.... so.... what am I? While I'm not an avid RPer, I do like coming up with back stories for my characters. How have other people handled this situation?
    (You can make up your own story, but this is how the game states it)

As an Ascended Defiant the souls you aquire are stolen or stripped from another being.

You didn't worship a god to get your clerical powers, you found, trapped, and tapped into the soul-powers of a worshipper.

In Rift, powerful creatures and gods cannot "take back" gifts they bestow onto mortal beings. So even though the person is dead, the soul still has powers.

You then can wield 3 of these extracted souls at any one time, and switch up between them. How you do this and what your explaination is will vary.
    Last edited by Sez; 07-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    (You can make up your own story, but this is how the game states it)

As an Ascended Defiant the souls you aquire are stolen or stripped from another being.

You didn't worship a god to get your clerical powers, you found, trapped, and tapped into the soul-powers of a worshipper.

In Rift, powerful creatures and gods cannot "take back" gifts they bestow onto mortal beings. So even though the person is dead, the soul still has powers.

You then can wield 3 of these extracted souls at any one time, and switch up between them. How you do this and what your explaination is will vary.

again, not STRICTLY true. The Kelari have their whole "contract" system with spirits. It's very rigidly defined. "YO! AIR SPIRIT! I give you 20 burnt bull sacrifices a month and you make my castle fly in the air! Deal? or No Deal?" so again, there ARE religions of a sort, and ancestor worship as well (which is the Bhami and Eth thing). Yes, aetheists are the majority, or rather, Anti-Deists. They know god's exist, they're just not going to take any lip from them :P
    A thread for roleplaying newblets and veterans alike: A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying

Quote Originally Posted by Hetros View Post
    it's not a crime to be a deist, it's belief in the vigil SPECIFICALLY that is pretty much forbidden, because the guardians are kinda anal about that sort of thing, and have given the entire group a bad name >>;
    First off, 'belief' is the wrong word here. All Defiants believe in the Vigil. We know for a fact they exist. It's the 'worship' and 'prayer' thing that's the issue; most Defiants consider the Vigil to be failures or incompetents, and that placing any sort of trust or faith in the Vigil or their abilities is childish at best.

That said, it's no crime to pray to Tavril or Thontic. Recall what the Faceless Man says in the newest story; "Faith in the gods is a rare thing among the Defiant. More common among foolish Guardian sneaks. Rare; not unheard of. A person may have faith in Thedeor and pray to him, but also acknowledge that the Ward is failing and that magitech is necessary - hence being a Defiant.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    First off, 'belief' is the wrong word here. All Defiants believe in the Vigil. We know for a fact they exist. It's the 'worship' and 'prayer' thing that's the issue; most Defiants consider the Vigil to be failures or incompetents, and that placing any sort of trust or faith in the Vigil or their abilities is childish at best.

That said, it's no crime to pray to Tavril or Thontic. Recall what the Faceless Man says in the newest story; "Faith in the gods is a rare thing among the Defiant. More common among foolish Guardian sneaks. Rare; not unheard of. A person may have faith in Thedeor and pray to him, but also acknowledge that the Ward is failing and that magitech is necessary - hence being a Defiant.
    bang on the money here

It's less true to say that we're aetheist than it is to say that we're Anti-Theist. We don't care whether the gods exist or not. They don't deserve our worship no matter WHAT the case is.

And again, we do have theists. We have people worshipping the gods. We just think that they might not be expecting us to depend wholey on them.

Telaran

Religion does not necessarily involve believing in a god. Clergy is just a form of religeous leadership and the cleric is one who is supposed to spread the word
    Bananari - LvL 5x Warrior
    Sobasaa - LvL 5x Cleric
    Macabri - LvL 5x Rogue
    Chlora - LvL 5x Mage

Plane Touched

There are many ways to go about this, and realistically, given a high enough population size, you'll find every school of thought possible. The difference between Defiant and Guardian is that the Defiant are much more open-minded about exploring other theological possibilities, while Guardians brand anything outside their doctrine as 'heretical.' The general school of thought is what is published in Trion's description of the Defiant...but not everybody goes with the general school of thought. That's the beauty of it...your cleric can be outside the norm if you want.

Spirituality doesn't require a belief in God, especially for Defiant.

Alternatively, one could have a belief in a god or gods even if you don't believe in the Vigil.

+ Reply to Thread