+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Setting the Stage for Role-Players

Hello to our RP community!

We are exploring what we might be able to build into Rift to enhance the experience of our role-playing community. One of the things that we'd like to do is give you some control over the ambience of the places where role-playing is already occurring so that the mood and environment can match your stories and activities. The Blunted Quill in Argent Glade is a good example of a place where lots of people come to role play, so being able to have the tavern assume the proper mood that you or your friends would like for a time would be something we think would help to set the stage. Make the tavern festive for when you finally kill Cindereon, or make it somber for when you're having a wake, or just be able to buy everyone a round of drinks for when you want to celebrate a successful conquest.

As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set? A dark somber room to hold your next cabal, or a romantic talk with a friend at the most beautiful overlook in the game. We have a bunch of ideas of things that we can do, but want to hear about what types of settings would help you character/group/guild have more fun putting the RP into the G.

First post!

Yay Trion! Thanks for reaching out to us RPers.

Now to business:

I'd like to see some sort of arena (not a ranked or PvP one) for duels between friendly players. With seating and stuff. Also, being a dwarf, I would LOVE to see the inside of a dwarven hall or city.
    --Zarukhad--
    --Shadefallen Server (Guardian)--
    --Guild Founder and officer of the Phoenix Guard--
    --Med/Heavy RP Guild--

Wow this is a fantastic idea!

My suggestions for ambiance:
    • Let us sit in chairs. This is a must for ambiance.
    • Let us drink without sitting. It's annoying. If we have to sit while drinking to regain mana and such then just introduce new emotes that let us perform the action without sitting.
    • Add a Swig, Ale, Wine, Water emote (goes with the above).
    • Add some banter between the barkeep and waitress, and waitress to customers.
    • Add a Feast item you can purchase from barkeeps that when clicked and placed adds a feast to a table.
    • Love the celebration idea for when we defeat an event boss. The reverse can happen when we fail.
    • Add that "shady character" who has rumors or even a quest or two, or even an quest arc.
    • Display the drink or food in the players hand once we emote /swig, /wine, /ale, /meat, /pie, /cake, etc. This can be combined with the Feast as clickable items that appear in your hand as you use the item. Does that make sense? So you click on the pie and a piece of pie shows in your hand while you make nomnomnom!
    • Introduce celebration packages we can buy from the barkeep or whoever that is for parties, birthdays, marriages, religious (Vigil deities, or something comparable for Defiant) celebrations. Music can be included in the packages. Throw in a bard we can turn on or off.

This is really a great idea. The packages can provide another little money sink as well as great entertainment!

RPers spread the word that this thread is here so we can get more input!

This would be truly wonderful. And as Tachi said above - Chairs. Just the simple ability to sit at a table or in a chair does make a difference to us. Actually, everything she said was good.

And, I know this may sound a bit odd, but I've logged out on my characters sometimes feeling as though they're displaced upon logging out. Where do they sleep at night? Where do they rest after a long wearying journey? Since this discussion is about frequented RP spots and Inns - they could use guest rooms.

Rift Disciple

Less aggro mobs and longer respawn timers maybe. I feel very encumbered when out and about, and the prospect of actually stopping to roleplay with fellow players seems to borderline on the preposterous when there are generally 15 mobs around me that are *this* close to roaming into me and attacking me, and the mob I just killed is about 30 seconds from respawning. And roleplaying on the trail isn't an option cause an invasion is coming down the road that will also attack. But realistically, I think mob density needs to be toned down in a general sense, moreso than respawns, but one big reason it's a complaint for me is that it's very difficult to roleplay while actually DOING something out and about with your fellow roleplayers.

But in terms of more "domestic" atmospheres, the above posters have good ideas. Actual sitting animations in chairs would be good. I wouldn't mind a "lean" animation either, for those of us that are too cool to sit in chairs And I agree with the drinking without sitting. Most easily fixed with a slash command rather than the need to consume something. Or, maybe just an alcoholic (or not) cosmetic beverage from the bartender that has the effect. Whatever's simplest.

I dunno how simple it would be to code, but I also think that ambient NPCs should have some collision prevention with players. I know in AION the guards would walk around you if you stood in the middle of their path. Would have to keep it small, for crowded nights. This is of lesser importance, but would be nice. Due to not being able to sit in chairs, I would sometimes stand by a table...but then an NPC would come shove right into where I was standing :P
    Last edited by Jacque; 05-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Thank you for making the inquiry, and thank you also for the new wardrobe system and for the reversion of the naming policy. I appreciate Trion's consideration of their roleplaying community.

I know there are PvP considerations, so it may not be feasible, but it would be really nice if we could use the wardrobe system to equip items not of our primary armor class -- if my cleric could wear leather or cloth cosmetically on occasion, for instance. The wardrobe system could then simply not display in warfronts, as LotRO does it, though I realize that doesn't answer the matter of world PvP, so as I said, maybe awkward.

As others have said: chairs. Please, pretty please, let us have chairs we can sit in without having to hop up and stroll across tables and things to use /sit.

I'd also like it if there were a way to preview dye colors on items without having to actually purchase the dye. Again, LotRO's system is nice for this.

And maybe it's an odd request, and I know there's another thread dedicated to it somewhere, but it would be terrific if you could actually reduce the range of spatial chat. At the moment, /say and /em both carry almost absurd distances, which can be distracting and intrusive for all involved.
    Last edited by Themis; 05-10-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Soulwalker

I'm bolding my actual requests so you don't have to read my longwinded explanations unless you just want to.

I would like to third, fourth, fifth, and 87th the request for sittable chairs. Crazy how much that matters, right?

I really love your idea about being able to "set the mood" in the tavern. I've never seen any game do that before, and I love that you are thinking outside the box!

This might be tricky to implement, but I wonder if the /say range -- or most definitely EMOTE range -- could be reduced to a slightly more realistic level, or if walls could block it the way they would spells or line of sight or what have you. It is very odd for me to be riding down the road and find out that someone is smiling in the tavern half a mile away. It also causes conversation mixing a lot, where I can't see what my RP-mates are saying because people a mile away are also having a lively conversation and it's getting mingled in the scroll.

I personally would like player housing or at least some sort of private areas where people could RP without forcing their heated religious debate or sobbing confession on every stranger within a vast radius. People say player housing "kills world RP" but personally I don't buy it, and I'd love to see it implemented. People who want world RP seek it out, and those who disappear into player housing or guild halls weren't looking to RP with anyone new anyway, but deliberately closing off their RP to themselves and their friends (which people have every right to do). Those who bemoan "the death of world RP" on their server don't realize that the cause is player insularity and established friend-groups, not player housing. Even without the housing, new players have a hard time breaking into RP in an established community.

Blaming player housing for this and demanding it not be implemented is throwing out the baby with the bathwater when the bathwater wasn't even the problem to begin with. Player housing opens up vast potential for setting creativity that doesn't all fall on the shoulders of The Management: you can turn player housing into a tavern, a library, etc. Okay, I could start a whole thread on that, so I'll stop.

Aside from my other suggestions, I think you are doing a great job. And try to remember this, when you get deluged with impossible demands and seemingly impossible-to-satisfy players: RP is an act of imagination. Anything you add to the game to cater to it is icing on the cake. The real work should be up to us.
    Last edited by Tethea; 05-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I think a big part of RP is Titles and character renown.

I'd really like to see the Titles ideas expanded upon. Maybe even go towards a part where you can write your own titles.

That may be a bit of a far stretch but I would certainly love to see some fluff titles added to the game, maybe some more prefixes. A lot of the titles seem to be humorous or not RP related but I think that Titles should be one of the things that have to do with RP the most.

Right now I am Lyas the Ironclad (cause I have the phone security measure)

Would it be possible to add a series of stock titles in there? Maybe even just colors?

The Red, The Black, The Green, The Blue etc. The Strong, The Swift, The Smart, The Wise. Something like that?

Have more short fluff quests or something that not only give us our Sir's and Dame's, but Baron/Baroness, Count/Countess, Lord/Lady anything like that to add to our characters to give us a little more of an RP personality.

Soulwalker

Duh... I just realized that the question you were asking was way more specific. I got overexcited (and it looks like everyone else did too).

I most often RP in the Blunted Quill when I'm looking for random RP.

As far as what ambiances I'd love to be able to create in a tavern, I like the idea of having the celebratory theme you mention, maybe with lots of food and drink appearing on the table that is interactable, waitresses bursting into dance, etc.

Perhaps here could be a romantic "courting" sort of motif for special occasions or wedding receptions, where there are flowers and someone strumming a lute or what have you...

And on somber occasions you could perhaps have an option with candles and religious artifacts, and people could pray for the souls of the departed at altars...

My only wonder is, how would we control who would have control over the mood, and how long would these moods last? Perhaps once someone sets a mood it stays for a set time, such as 20 minutes, and then it's next-come next-serve? Except on special days, like perhaps on valentine's day the tavern could be romantic all day long <3
    Last edited by Tethea; 05-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Rift Disciple

Also, in addition to my above post regarding mob density...Another solution is to have more non-aggressive mobs. 99% of everything is aggressive.

Sez

Emotes emotes emotes and more emotes!(With animations of course) Not only will it help the RP community, but game-wide!
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Firstly, Wow. Thanks Captain Cursor. It's refreshing to see the RP community looked after, or even considered by the dev team. Props to you guys!

Setting the mood (giggity--i had to), sounds like an awesome idea for events. I think its the sort of thing where you should have to book the space in advance. Weddings, funerals, seasonal get-togethers. Is there any thought as to how RPers might get in touch with GMs for support for events?

Speaking of seasonal get-togethers, game-wide seasonal events are always a good way to go. If thought is put into them by the dev team, even better! Seems to me you guys whip up **** pretty quick! You don't mess around. I've seen more events and patch-related celebratory events than I would ever expect in the first 2, going on 3 months of release in a game. I feel like Trion is really raising the bar, and if you guys can keep up, it's going to be amazing.

I'll just throw it out there. Chairs you can sit in is another huge issue.

There's already a gambling hall at Lantern's Hook. How about actual gambling? Various fun mini-games. I'm sure people want more 'den of thieves' locations.

I love whitefall. I love the snow. I would personally like to see more RP there.

'For SCIENCE!' I suspect more laboratory type spaces are awesome, as well as more occult, cabal spots for those on the more magical side of things. Hidden, underground labs (think the lab under the icewatch towers between stilmoor and iron pine peaks; and the library underneath the chancel of labors.)

For those of us that enjoy combat RP, im coming to a sort of blank aside from the idea of an arena space. Could be used to cross over into the PVP realm, but I'd rather see RPers taken care of first.

Shadowlander

Thanks for starting this thread!

- I think everyone can agree. CHAIRS. And the emotes to use them properly, like /chair in addition to /sit for example. Would be nice to use that emote to sit on ledges as well.

- Which leads to emotes. You can never really have to many emotes that have an animation with them. It really adds to RP, visually, as characters.

- Cosmetic wardrobe items out the wazzoo is always a plus. Outfits (pieces that we can mix and match of course), including hats and masks even. And CLOAKS would be awesome! The more variety so we all don't look the same, and look more casual (as opposed to relaxing in the tavern in a full suit of armor), the better.

- The ideas about ambiance in the OP was a great idea for after a win/loss in an invasion. Tachi has some great ideas about tavern atmosphere as well.

- Spatial chat area reduction would be nice. We shouldn't be "hearing" conversations from one end of town to the other, and "seeing" emotes either.

- Lastly, for me, I wouldn't mind seeing the walk speed slowed down. No one who actually wants to walk in-game wants it to be fast, IMO. A normal walk speed would look better RP-wise.

Thank you for taking the time to take our suggestions!
    Last edited by Allure1; 05-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Soulwalker

I have JUST started playing this game and don't really know the geography yet, so I can't directly address the "where do you RP?" question. However, what I would love, love, love to see are player run bars. Kind of like personal or guild housing, but a public area instead. Players could buy a building in a public area and buy furniture and decorations to make it unique/set the mood. They can regulate when it's open or not (to make sure there is a PC bartender there, for example) and maybe even have a name appear on a sign outside the door. It's been a long time since I played EQ2, but when I did I loved that player housing could be decorated anyway players wanted which allowed a lot of creativity, variety and uniqueness. There were also many options for items, including seasonal, and quest and boss reward items. Places could look REALLY different from each other! I have wished for this in every game I've played since then. Same things would be true of guild and player housing, of course.

My friend put in a request for a pirate bar. Having bars with different themes and tones would be nice because different characters will be drawn to different kinds of taverns. Like bars catering to nobles, common folk, shady sorts, etc.

Would also like to echo the sentiment to decrease the say/emote range. Chat flow can get really overwhelming in an area where there are a lot of RPers and having such a large range makes it even more difficult.

I am really happy to see that you guys seem so interested in listening to and promoting the RP community. Us RPers seek out and stay in games at least partly based on RP, so I think that's a very good idea on your part and very much appreciated!

Soulwalker

1. An empty cave
    2. Empty buildings that have seating/fires/food about
    3. Some empty dwarven sized buildings and furniture

Off topic, I agree about the being able to sit in chairs option!

In any case thanks for asking, and I'm happy to see the devs care about and are asking about rp!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast