+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

I'd just like to add, there are a ton of bells and whistles insofar as toy items, animations, holidays and things of that nature mentioned in this thread that could potentially be developed, but I feel that the additions that have the most universal staying power would be RP-friendly "nooks" as stated.

Theres been a ton of suggestions so far and I'm too tired to look through all of them to know if what I'm posting has been posted before, so bear with me here.

Id love to see more places like Shoreward Isle and Faen's Retreat. These places are distant and out of the way. Not too many people frequent them and they make good Rp spots. If you introduced a couple more places like these around Telara I think it would help pull rpers from the capital cities and out into the world.

My second suggestion is buildings. Buildings, buildings, buildings. It'd be nice to see more and to actually be able to go inside them. Id love to Rp in some of the houses that are around, but they're all shut and locked up. If you do open them up, then please also give us a few different layouts so it doesn't look like the same architect built every house in Telara. Also, with castles and towers and such, it'd be great to have several floors to them. Chancel of Labors is huge. Id love to see a 3 floored library with more scholar NPCs. I'm not asking for a ton of places like that, but Telara almost seems devoid of buildings to go into, and the ones that are around seem depressingly empty and bland. I feel like 95% of my time is spent outside, and while it does give me a sense of being out in the world, it also makes me feel like I don't belong or spend time in any one place.

My third suggestion would be more customization. This applies to not only to character creation but also to the Wardrobe. Id love to be able to change my characters body type a bit, from skinny, to muscular, to normal and even a bit pudgy. I see overweight Bahmi NPCs, but so far it looks like they're the only race that can get fat. As far as wardrobe goes, a cloak/cape slot would be nice, as well as one for weapons. Existing dyeing options need to be changed as well. The primary option when dyeing should affect the majority of the outfit. Ive found some armor when it does not and its a bit sad. Also matching colors would be great. My armor is dyed all dark blue and dark red, but Ive got about 4 shades of blue and 3 shades of red. Seems a bit silly to have a dye function if in the end you still end up a tad mismatched.

Well thats about it for my suggestions. I hope this thread is read. I skimmed a bit and saw some really good suggestions.

OH! And looping music would be great. I use to sit in some zones in WoW just to hear their themes. Rift seems a bit devoid of music, and what I do hear is nothing fantastic.
    Last edited by Xenataos; 05-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    "Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Some idle thoughts...

For the most part, roleplaying for me is not a separate activity I go and do, it's an ongoing part of how I interact with the game.

So the biggest things to me would be last names, and/or possibly a bio section. If you have not discovered the wonder of the bio... Get yourself into City of Heroes, hang out in the consignment house (use the Virtue server, the "unofficial RP server"), and just read bios for a while. It's actually pretty fun. A bio feature would be HUGE, especially since until there's addons we can't just write our own. But even if we could... Making it part of the game would result in MUCH lower traffic costs. (You would be amazed at the bandwidth FlagRSP used... No, you probably wouldn't.)

Another area that might be of interest would be things like RP flags, and possibly a mechanism for people to not see the names of people they haven't "met" yet.

That said... Yeah, sitting would be a big deal.

Oh, how about a little bit of AI on barkeeps and the like? It'd be awesome if they could wander over and say something if someone called for them.

Honestly, wardrobe was probably one of the biggest things I wanted and didn't yet have. Bio/description would be the next big thing, for me. I'd rather have it be called "bio" and just let people put stuff that's backstory you might not know; you always have the option of not reading it, but sometimes I like to read backstories.

Also, I know this sounds silly, but: Remove more of the invisible walls! Some of the coolest looking places are unreachable. I'm looking at you, The Entire Mountain Range Between Freemarch And Stonefield. (Okay, some of it's passable now...)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Next question, and possibly some homework. Another idea that we were thinking about, and that you all mentioned was camping and picnic assets. So what are your favorite spots?
    I think beaches and mountaintops are good places for campsites. Just a couple specific ideas:

In Meridian, in the Crafting Hall, the two forges in their own area seem highly underutilized by players (at least on Faeblight) compared to the loom and the workbench. I'd like to suggest having only one forge and moving it down to the main floor, then using that whole former forge space as a sort of rest area and crafting cafe where the Drinks vendor would then be. There are other corners in Meridian that could be carved out too, imo, but I'm sure you want to reserve some space for future use.

Secondly, the hunting quest NPC in Kelari Refuge (the one that sends you after the alligator, for example) seems a little odd just standing there on the pier. I don't remember his exact story, but I wonder if he could have a little camp somewhere in either direction from the Refuge around the bay--more of a wilderness location suitable to him, which would also be a camp for people to hang out by the beach and rest for a minute.

I guess none of the early towns on the Defiant side (Kelari Refuge, Kings March, The Ark) in Freemarch are super attractive to me as places to do anything but level through quickly. I haven't played WoW in years, but I kind of missed a Goldshire, or a Michel Delving from LotRO--a nice and cozy first town before the big city. I feel like the Kelari Refuge cove in general could have a more social and welcoming atmosphere about it somehow.

That's my two cents, in addition to what the others said. Thanks so much for asking and for listening!!
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 05-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Plane Touched

I want to add my support for the "bio" place under a character's profile. It's a small addition that can add a tremendous amount - I wound up creating a very nice, long backstory for my main hero and main villain in City of Heroes solely because of that feature. I was even given money once in-game because someone read one of 'em and thought it was well done, which is a really nice thing to have happen to you.

I also want to add that there aren't enough actual towns that feel lived in. Something like Smith's Haven that's, y'know, not on fire permanently would be a great addition, as would just more interior spaces that show a more fleshed-out world. They don't have to be taverns, but just areas where characters could sit/hang out indoors and spend some time.

Smith's Haven is a good example. If they took that town model and then moved it closer to Meridian like say closer water side near the beach on that hill area where the quest location for Adriana Weaver is, that would be a great setting Defiant side for RP. I like the tent outside Meridian but it's kinda of all we have in that area and it's pretty small.

You can make it into an event even to explain how the village and locations Guardian side got there.

Orphiel wants to test a new device he's made for translocation, but the Guardians want to stop him for fear he'll rupture the Ward completely (good source of PvP for PvP servers also). In order to complete the machine Defiant players have to find pieces of a puzzle, while Guardians have to find clues to help Cyril figure out what Orphiel is up to. Once that phase completes the Defiant have to gather a lot of sourcestone or maybe different materials for part manufacturing, and in order to stop them the Guardians have to gather sourcestone, or something to help them out.

When the required level of materials are reached instead of the expected results a giant rift opens in each zone with a boss or bosses protecting it. After players defeat the zone rifts and bosses we find out that the device somehow did not work as intended and brought an entire village from the past to the present Defiant side and made some changes to the landscape Guardian side.
    Last edited by Tachi; 05-13-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Exploring on an alt earlier today I re-discovered how sad Kelari Refuge makes me. I'd love to see a tavern, or some sort of life added to the place. It's a camp with zero interior, and one that should (but isn't) be important to most every Kelari roleplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
    (Smith's Haven example. Above Post. Edited to reduce post length.)
    I bow to this idea. This is, in my opinion, an excellent idea. Smith's Haven is a town layout for an amazing roleplayer's paradise, if only it weren't, you know, burning and full of monsters. Setting up this layout somewhere else would be a great place for roleplaying.

Might I also suggest the Smith's Haven cave placed somewhere else as well? No NPCs, but the same setup. Fortifications, supplies, all tucked inside a nice cave. Call it a smuggler's cove, or just some place that adventurer's stacked up supplies they never got to use because their adventure resulted in existence 404. Also possible, an entire tunnel network, perhpas ranging under the Freemarch/Stonefield mountains, or accessible from Scarlet Gorge. Tunnels, rooms, carved caves, etc. With several rooms placed evenly throughout that have translocation orbs, so you can still go to the deepest part of the caves and be able to reach the surface without a ten minute, memorized walk that if you take a wrong turn, turns into an hour walk.

Duplicating locations wholesale without the npcs is a great idea, but it goes beyond what they have suggested. I think this is because they want to improve where we are already roleplaying. Fact is we will go where the good locations are, we are not so hidebound we will stick to one place as thats all we know.

A lot of the area west of Meridian is a relativly open expanse for this game, something there would be a good idea.
    Last edited by Pretext; 05-14-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretext View Post
    Duplicating locations wholesale without the npcs is a great idea, but it goes beyond what they have suggested. I think this is because they want to improve where we are already roleplaying. Fact is we will go where the good locations are, we are not so hidebound we will stick to one place as thats all we know.

A lot of the area west of Meridian is a relativly open expanse for this game, something there would be a good idea.
    I think part of the issue is that in Freemarch there is no 'good location'. From a lore perspective of a people under attack by Regulos and Akylios forces. With Port Scion as the obvious place for refugees to head to until it fell a year ago it makes perfect sense that there are no functioning towns in the zone.

It also makes lore sense that with the influx of the ascended and the refugees from Port Scion someone should be building, or expanding somewhere to house them.

While the decision is with Trion I don't think there's any real harm in going beyond what's suggested as it give the devs ideas to bounce around.

I too really liked the layout of Smiths Haven. I kept an eye out all through the leveling zones in the hope of its 'twin'. Maybe a New Haven could be built west of Meridian or Eliam Fields could start expanding.

Terminus has a a town near it that seems quite large which has yet to appear in the landscape of Freemarsh, and held out till near the end. So some one on the Defiant side is clearly into town planning
    (Bechka, Machine Born)
    Knowledge is power: Power corrupts; Study hard , be evil

Soulwalker

So far I've been very pleased with the roleplaying environment Tirion has provided for us, and I really appreciate that you all take the time to listen to roleplayer requests. Thank you very very much. Now onto some requests! (I apologize if some of these requests are repeats)

-Add more prefix titles like Lady/Lord, Master/Mistress, Count/Countess, etc.
    -Allow us to sit in chairs.
    -Add barbershop so we can change our hair, make-up, markings, etc.
    -More unoccupied buildings.
    -More emotes/animations. We can never have too many of these. ^.~
    -Slow down the walking pace of characters. I find my Kelari walks waaaay too fast.
    -Player housing
    -More holiday events

I'm not quite sure what Trion's stance is on Player Housing. I know one Dev wants to do it, but another says it would be a nightmarish undertaking.

So how about a compromise?

In Everquest 1 (and 2 to a very lesser degree), the towns were nicely fleshed out. You had the bankers, merchants, and tradeskill places all available. But then there was buildings to house these NPCs. There were a few taverns and other miscellaneous areas, and even a few empty buildings.

Meridian and Sanctum or even a neutral town could be expanded a bit to have these living areas. A couple of empty areas that are out of the way provide an excellent canvas for RPers to work with to go hang out.

These places wouldn't have to serve any ingame function whatsoever. And if needed, it could be instanced (public instance). They could be furnished with things such as chairs, tables, and other things depending on what the building is for.

In the future if housing is introduced, such an area would be perfect place to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    One thing I remembered as being awesome was the 2 player emotes they had in Matrix online.
    You'd for instance target a player and "/shakehands" them and they'd get a confirmation box and the two characters shook hands visually.

They had 2 player emotes like:

holdbothhands
    shakehands
    holdhands
    manhug
    propose
    hug
    kissthering
    pound
    slap
    weddingkiss
    weddingring

Would be fun to see something like this implemented in RIFT.
    Never played that, but that really sounds awesome And of course... my ideas

Chairs you can sit in

Less NPCs in the tent outside Meridian which is where most RP seems to happen Defiant side as far as I can tell. Or a mid-way place like the Guardians have in Argent Glade (Blunted Quill)

Housing. Yes, Housing. It adds a whole new ambience of the game. Instanced housing you can decorate like in EQ2 and Runes of Magic would be awesome. That and for those who enjoy adult RP on occassion will have a place to do so, privately, so nobody gets offended or harasses the couple, even when they are -trying- to stay out of everyone's way and keep the RP to themselves in /group. There's not really any place to do things privately in this game.

Housing to much? Maybe have rentable instanced inn rooms like they had in Age of Conan?

And adding to that... lessen the aggro range of mobs? Maybe make mobs that could be easily defeated non aggro to the player? I am pretty much in character no matter where I am or what I might be doing. However, as was stated, the aggro range/level of the mobs makes in world RP difficult at best. Would make romantic walks much easier. -grins-

Take away the restriction on the wardrobe. Make it to where it wont work in pvp areas or something. But I would like to be able to equip whatever "armor" my character is able to and use it in a wardrobe slot.

More emotes with animations. (Of course I seem to be bugged, half the time my emotes dont even work. /wave and /bye seem to be about the only ones that work for me lol. Others, like /bow just make my character do a little odd twitch and thats it.)

Reduce the range of /say and /emotes in spacial. It really is a little ridiculous to be able to hear people talking on the other side of a city.

A place where weddings can be held? Not sure how this would work, but maybe have a place for weddings to happen like a hall or something? Maybe even have a server announcement when a couple gets married? (THey did that in RoM)

I like the idea of a more neutral town, though I know a lot wont agree with me. I, personally, enjoy cross faction RP, and had some really good stories going in WoW involving that. A neutral town where the factions could come together would be nice, but then again, I suppose this just opens the door for all the children to come out and start the "f*** defiant/f*** guardians" crap like in WoW.

And as others have stated, thank you Trion, for listening to your Roleplayers. We'll be the ones still here keeping the game alive when everyone else has moved on.
    Last edited by Amanu; 05-14-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanu View Post
    Never played that, but that really sounds awesome And of course... my ideas

Chairs you can sit in

Less NPCs in the tent outside Meridian which is where most RP seems to happen Defiant side as far as I can tell. Or a mid-way place like the Guardians have in Argent Glade (Blunted Quill)

Housing. Yes, Housing. It adds a whole new ambience of the game. Instanced housing you can decorate like in EQ2 and Runes of Magic would be awesome. That and for those who enjoy adult RP on occassion will have a place to do so, privately, so nobody gets offended or harasses the couple, even when they are -trying- to stay out of everyone's way and keep the RP to themselves in /group. There's not really any place to do things privately in this game.

Housing to much? Maybe have rentable instanced inn rooms like they had in Age of Conan?

And adding to that... lessen the aggro range of mobs? Maybe make mobs that could be easily defeated non aggro to the player? I am pretty much in character no matter where I am or what I might be doing. However, as was stated, the aggro range/level of the mobs makes in world RP difficult at best. Would make romantic walks much easier. -grins-

Take away the restriction on the wardrobe. Make it to where it wont work in pvp areas or something. But I would like to be able to equip whatever "armor" my character is able to and use it in a wardrobe slot.

More emotes with animations. (Of course I seem to be bugged, half the time my emotes dont even work. /wave and /bye seem to be about the only ones that work for me lol. Others, like /bow just make my character do a little odd twitch and thats it.)

Reduce the range of /say and /emotes in spacial. It really is a little ridiculous to be able to hear people talking on the other side of a city.

A place where weddings can be held? Not sure how this would work, but maybe have a place for weddings to happen like a hall or something? Maybe even have a server announcement when a couple gets married? (THey did that in RoM)

I like the idea of a more neutral town, though I know a lot wont agree with me. I, personally, enjoy cross faction RP, and had some really good stories going in WoW involving that. A neutral town where the factions could come together would be nice, but then again, I suppose this just opens the door for all the children to come out and start the "f*** defiant/f*** guardians" crap like in WoW.

And as others have stated, thank you Trion, for listening to your Roleplayers. We'll be the ones still here keeping the game alive when everyone else has moved on.
    and a barbershop would be nice to change hairs, colors, makeup, etc. Maybe add a few hairstyles for Kelari women? I like long hair on my female toons (mostly) but I dont like how the long hair styles for Kelari women involve all the hair being pulled out of thier face. There is only one that doesnt, but it looks like the woman spent hours in a salon getting thier hair done. And the full forhead bangs on that particular style is... ew to me. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the Eth women hair styles implemented. The flowing, face framing variety.

All of the above ideas seem fantastic. I think two that I would emphasize would be chairs we can sit in, for sure! And yes, /say and /em have -ridiculous- range, perhaps tone that down a bit? It really is very, -very- intrusive for RP of almost any kind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast