+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #46

Hey folks!

This isn't the only topic we intend to explore with you guys in regards to role-playing. Anyone who follows Nick or I on twitter can tell we have a lot on our minds right now about this. So, we do appreciate keeping this particular thread focused. On the other hand, we understand that floods of creative ideas can come out of people when you get them thinking and are going to hardly criticize anyone for wanting to share those thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who has responded for the great ideas. Keep them coming.
    Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc
    "I learned at a very young age that the world is full of people who are terrified by knowledge and the power it bestows to the individual. Freedom is to be seized by those with the courage to think for themselves." - Asha Catari

http://www.twitter.com/missdoomcookie

Everyone has good ideas and ofc I don't want to stay behind.

Mounts, everyone love them. However when I see someone riding at full speed through Fortune's Shore or the narrow alleys of Whitefall, I wonder why nobody gets hurts. Maybe mounts should only be able to move around at "walk-speed" instead of "warp-speed" in cities?
    Also it would be nice if you could dismount and your mount does not despawn, but follows you around like a pet in these special "walking" areas. (and maybe also in the rest of the world?)

Sitting, has be mentioned. Still the lack of not being able to sit is, well other know to express it better.

Fluff skills. Like fishing or music skills. Fishing is nice. You can sit next to a friend and chat a little. Or enjoy the sunrise together. Fishing competitions are always fun. Instruments could be too much LotrO, I can understand you don't want to go there. Anyway if you give us instruments, also give us the skill of kicking (knockback) the artist when he plays too much offkey.
    Skipping stones, pebbles which you can throw at a body of water. Kick the helmet. Just some item you can kick, while you are walking to your destination.

Cooking, sharing a meal can be fun. It can also be fun that we can interact with a roasted pig, cauldron of soup, etc. Chatting and drinking while we wait till it's done above its fire. Ofc we have to turn,stirr, etc it, otherwise it will burn. Give inns a kitchen! (you can't drink on an empty stomage)

Inn Celebration Token, maybe special bosses, like the last boss in a 10 or 20 man raid, drop a token. When the token is used at an inn, the inn will be turned into a celebration. Scripted npcs (the party squad) will bring in laterns, wenches, musicians etc. They will decorate the inn, set the tables and take part/hosting the celebration of the defeat of a certain boss.

Backrooms, a room where players can play some kind of (card?) game with eachother. No real gambling though.

Hear ye, hear ye! Regulos is invading our world...
    The Gods only help those who help themselves. Enlist now in the Yew Tree Brigade.
    It is time to take matters into own hand!

Posters do seem to be turning this into a roleplay wish list, try to keep the framework the OP set out in mind.

Considering my last post did indeed take on the form of a wishlist, i'd like to concentrate on the proposed Inn improvements now:

Might i suggest some dynamic elements within buildings? Not only chairs that one can use, but maybe the possibility to interact with torches and other light sources aswell as other elements like the big kegs in inns. And as others and myself mentioned before, a bard that's playing off and on in inns might be nice.

I like the idea of decorating places to fit a certain mood.

Still, i cannot stress enough that the /say and /em ranges are too big to facilitate nice RP in crowded places. I think this should be the first issue addressed.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

the defiance side could really do with a tavern in freemarch.

Currently we have a few dottted about the various areas but I rarely see people roleplaying in them.

As to roleplay ideas:

Please give us a chair sit command! Where we can sit on a chair properly!

A play dead command where you appear to have died would also be very cool (not usable in PvE of course)

roleplaying items are also a must:

The flute is currently...not a flute, its more like a trumpet. Please give us an actual flute, it also sounds and looks exactly like the bard's trumpety thing.

Some items such as more musical instruments, Let us build a campsite!, let us be able to buy a campsite kit and have to build our tents and firea nd such as we travel! and other such things to make the travelling through the world experiance so much more cooler.

As suggested above, interactive items in the taverns! Turn the lights/torch's on and off, get a free beer from a barrel, actual roleplay drinks that when drunk give a 'drunken' effect to your character if you have too many (obviously dwarves must be resistant and have to drink twice as much!). How about having some of the more major inn's have a talkable bard npc, heck, make him a travelling bard who we can see walking through the world as he visits, and then stops and plays at the various inn's of the world!

I would also like to see more travelling npc's to give the world more life. In some areas obviously a lower amount, but in others there should be more people about!

For freemarch, id like to see refugees moving to miridian from the stricken towns. Id also like to see more messengers on horses/mounts taking messages around the world, more travelling wagons with supplies, travelling salespeople we can buy from, perhaps even rare ones who traverse the entire world and can be anywhere at any time!

And lastly as above: The emote and /say commands have too long a range for us to be able to see where the person is. Currently someone talking in miridian could be -anywhere- in the city, and Its just too much effort to find them.
    Last edited by Niyo; 05-12-2011 at 01:33 AM.

I'm probably going against the majority here but I want less premade 'atmosphere' in the taverns. The NPC chatter and constantly wandering around have a tendency to get in the way of RP when your chat box gets spammed by one of the regular scheduled conversation (and they get old fast). Or they walk over your group.

Thin out the NPC in Meridians tent you find the rpers move to the edges of the space to avoid the crowd of NPC's in the centre

Emptier spaces allow the RP to flow better in my experience.

1)The say range needs reducing. Any sort of "cabal plotting" meeting is pointless when nearly the whole of Meridian can hear what you're saying.

2) Being able to emote while sitting

3) Walking animations for mounts.

4) Wardrobe not being limited to your gear type. I'm still using loadequip because as a cleric I don't spend my off duty time in mail.

5) Sittable chairs,

6) The Smith Haven Inn model being available as a friendly tavern somewhere. The hint of rooms off the balcony makes it a good model for being able to say "I live here" and its already in game seems a shame to waste it on a quest hub. Actually a functioning town like Argent Glade somewhere in Freemarch wouldn't go amiss. Probably too big an ask but maybe the Kelari Refuge could grow a bit to have a cosy tavern ?

7) I do like the idea of being able to 'hire' a tavern for a night to hold a party, though we're RPers so its as likely it'll be someone's engagement party or a recruitment evening as defeating some boss or other. But look Defiant side would you hold a party in Stonefield or Perspices Inns? They're dives

8) Wisp pets. (Especially for the Kelari ) I really want to have some spirits loyal to me and you've established with The High Priestess and the Kelari refuges in Meridian that the wisps can be friendly spirits. (being able to name companion pets would also be cool)

9) More macro slots. By the time I'm done with macros for all my roles I'm seriously cramped for any RP ones

10) It's lie down not /laydown you lay down objects when you lie down to rest (sorry pet peeve escaping there)
    (Bechka, Machine Born)
    Knowledge is power: Power corrupts; Study hard , be evil

One thing I remembered as being awesome was the 2 player emotes they had in Matrix online.
    You'd for instance target a player and "/shakehands" them and they'd get a confirmation box and the two characters shook hands visually.

They had 2 player emotes like:

holdbothhands
    shakehands
    holdhands
    manhug
    propose
    hug
    kissthering
    pound
    slap
    weddingkiss
    weddingring

Would be fun to see something like this implemented in RIFT.

Soulwalker

In regards to the question: The Tavern in Granite Falls seems to be a popular RP hub, as well as Meridian's Library. IPP's Library is also pretty good for RP.

For other ways to enhance RP a bit:
    CHAIRS.
    Being able to wear whatever in the wardrobe. Being limited to leather means I can't wear the beautiful Linen Robe cosmetically, and it would suit my character perfectly.
    Being able to preview dyes before we buy them would be appreciated. Kinda sucks to buy a dye, only to find out it's the wrong colour and have to go sell it for less than half of what you bought it for.
    Being able to drink while standing.
    Being able to emote while sitting.
    Shorter chat range, and/or have it limited by walls. I wouldn't necessarily make walls stop it, but maybe decrease the range significantly, or make it a more grey colour to show that it's muffled.
    A tavern in Freemarch. There really isn't one. Defiants need our own Blunted Quill, too!

That's all I got for now. I'll come back if I think up any more.

Quote Originally Posted by FuseAQM View Post
    I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Read all of the OP again... (Also, my first MMO was Ultima... Haven't seen many without levels, but I've seen many get completely re-done post-launch and completely collapse... Not sure why you decided to bring personal flames into this.) Also, I have every right to criticize. It's a community. If one person suggests something an no one says anything otherwise how would the devs know if other players thought it was a good idea?

I was just trying to point out that they aren't asking for an NGE level over-haul, especially at this point, they were asking for some basic ideas of where we like to RP and what they could do to make those areas nicer for us. Asking them to remove levels from the game is a bit out there... I don't know how else to point that out. Again, I'm not the one who flamed the poster, I just used the content of their post as an example of what didn't contribute. I could have easily knee-jerk flamed them like they did me. lol Flame on.
    Hey I apologize for being edgy. I just interpreted your previous response as "your opinions aren't valid." My post was also a focus on as to why role-ply does not occur in MMO's and what can be done to improve upon it. I thought it was valid considering they were asking on how to improve the RP atmosphere.

My suggestions I still stand firm. If they wish to create a game built for role-play, they need to re-design certain aspects to encourage it.

Stonefield and Perspice aren't bad inns. I think Granite Falls inn would be a great setting for a wedding because of the lake and waterfall in the background... of course there's the nasty ghost things roaming the water, but we won't mention them in the brochure!

They say majority rules... therefore I want to add my support to

1. Reducing spacial chat radius.
    2. Reducing walk speed (and ADDING walk animation for mounts!).
    3. Adding CHAIR animation.

When I did my first tavern RP and discovered I couldn't sit down, I tried to judge how far I thought my toon could jump backward... Then I got real quiet and waited until I thought no one was looking... Then I hopped backward into the chair and hoped no one noticed how unladylike I was I kind of felt like Crocodile Dundee discovering a bidet... Or I guess me discovering a bidet.
    Last edited by Calendula; 05-12-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Also, I agree with Arian on almost every point (especially the difference between "lay" vs "lie). I too dislike extra NPC chatter in small spaces like taverns, although I do enjoy some random flavor text... maybe reduce the time between these ramblings?

I'm also not a fan of decorations... in game or IRL. For games, I'll use the example of WoW holidays... some are cool, like the Lunar Festival firecrackers that light on the walls randomly, but most are dumb, like the hearts over every threshold on Valentine's Day or my personal pet peeve, the bizarre "beer wreaths" that look like some kind of cruel/ironic prop at a drunk driver's funeral.

Oh, and like Doublefrost said-- chat text length is too small!
    Last edited by Calendula; 05-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Soulwalker

I just want to say to the devs that I am so sorry your efforts to reach out have been met with requests to rewrite the game from the ground up, accusations of not caring, etc.

Please understand that there is a quiet majority who is having a perfectly good time roleplaying in the beautiful game you have made, and considers anything else you add to it icing on the cake.

Thanks for the RP outreach, it is appreciated.

Most of this has been said, will just echo in support.

Regarding tavern ambience:
    • Taverns are missing music. I'd like to see bards in each tavern. Perhaps they cycle between songs, taking breaks in between. Some larger taverns could have a whole troupe that plays complex songs, while others might just have a single minstrel who requires tips to play! (Jaunty tunes are a plus.)
    • Eventually, a LotRO-style band system would be fantastic.
    • Sitting in chairs.
    • Drinking while standing, or while sitting in a chair.
    • Mounted walking, for that post-dungeon soul-weary approach to the tavern, where music, laughter and fresh ale await.
    • "Special events" that can somehow be triggered in taverns. Some could even be specific to certain taverns. Maybe some are started by planarite-bought tokens, while others are rare drops or found along with artifacts. These would be the weddings, funerals, parties of various kinds, bar brawls where a bunch of NPCs spawn and start mixing it up, lore-related festivals. etc.

General world ambience:
    • More dynamic weather. I wish it didn't just rain in Moonshade and Stonefield, and often the rain is too brief. Even in the RP world, you can start a conversation with "Boy, look at this weather."
    • Campfires or small shelters that can be built in the wild. (But not in settled areas or on top of crafting nodes and artifacts!) Imagine setting a rallying point for your RP friends in Iron Pine, and while you're waiting for the last few to arrive, you can warm your hands over a nice real fire instead of the Hellhound Pup. (These campfires could also be floating magical heatstones or magitech microfurnaces.)
    • Shared emotes, like in Matrix Online. (As someone specifically mentioned above. It was a great idea, but implemented a little clunkily.)

relating places to RP, i think one of the problems with this is that almost all places "in the wild", that would be nice to hang around are crowded with mobs. As stated above, it would be useful to have a few "peaceful" places (like the little pond/lake in the mountains in Gloamwood)

Maybe a small graveyard, for the darker characters.
    Huts that can be entered (again, those could be places in the mountains)
    empty caves ( I know there is one in Shimmersand, but to get there you have to go through a lot of mobs again and it is that same old boring cave model.. you know, the one with the downwards "circular" slope that can be found everywhere)
    small camps that aren't taken over by bandits that respawn 5 seconds after you kill them
    And as i said, considering all the barren mountains... a few critters would add a bit of life to those places.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast