+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

There are some great suggestions in this thread! Thank you for asking Captain Cursor! (Additionally, Thank you for all your hard work on Guardian/Telaran lore!)
    "In time, all flowers bend toward the sun."

Rift Chaser

I'd like to see the spatial chat range reduced to something that is more feasible. Something around 7 to 10 meters should be fine, I think. Sitting in chairs would be nice. Perhaps increase the buffer size on the chat.

I'd really love to see some sort of "Storyteller" system similar to Lord of the Rings Online where one can create their own "quests" and give them to roleplayers to complete. The RP community in Star Trek Online has seen a huge boost using the new Foundry system which allows something similar.

Also, not sure if it is in-game or not, but what about chat logging for when we wish to recount an RP event while writing a story about it?

Perhaps allowing us to change the colour of our /say text similar to how you could in Age of Conan. That made it really easy to figure out who was talking. This colour change would be for everyone and not just on the player's end. Funcom essentially used HTML color coding in their chat interface so you could preface your chat with <font color="#FF0000"> and everyone would see whatever you said in that colour.

I'm just going to echo what others have said.

Reduced chat range
    Empty houses/caves/whatever
    More "fun" RP clothes from the clothes vendors. Some of the NPC clothes models would be fine.
    The ability to sit on chairs

I guess i'll add my two cen...errr.... silver too:

As others have said, it would add a great deal of immersion to:
    # have a slower walking speed (the current animations are playing too fast, making the characters look ridiculous. On the other hand, mathosian males with a staff in hand look great while walking)
    # have more emotes (yawn, roar, love, pet, joke etc)
    # have the possibility to sit in chairs,
    # have the ability to craft / buy casual clothing
    # have the ability to pay a bard in inns to play, or even add the possibility to play the instruments yourself (the ones you buy for lucky coins - see Lotros instruments)
    # have walking mounts
    # reduce the /say and /em range
    # add some empty houses and other buildings in towns and in secluded areas. Currently, a lot of mountain tops are very barren and lifeless, only dotted by small patches of forest. It would add a bit of life to have 1. more trees, 2 critters and 3 empty abandoned houses that can be entered.

Oh.. and the inns don't feel like inns... they feel like pubs. There are no beds, no rooms, no where to rest.

Other suggestions that might have been mentioned ( i gave up reading after a while):
    campfires,
    booze that actually makes you drunk (see WoW)
    food
    more hats
    (in the future) cloaks (no, not capes - cloaks http://www.nudimensions.com/spiritcraft/cloak.jpg )
    the ability to walk with staves like the mathosian males do.
    and beards

And a pony. That would be my wishlist. Thank you, Santa!
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Default A Strange Proposal

I've got an idea that is a bit more long-term, more difficult to create, but has the potential to give amazing amounts of roleplay. Please, hear me out before adding your own ideas to this proposal.

Way back, years ago, when I still played WC3 Frozen Throne custom games, they used to have a specific game called 'Dungeons and Dragons'. While it bore only the loosest association to the DnD games, its concept was perhaps the best roleplayer-friendly concept I've ever seen. I will quickly detail what this game had, to show why it was good.

Two types of people were in the game. One, the players, had control of a hero (Our own personal Ascended!), and the DMs, they had control of no heroes. However, the DMs had a pallet which had trees, buildings, elves, humans, monsters....Basically, anything that could be created in game was there on the pallet. There were also custom commands; spawn an abomination, add 2k health, 50 armor, 100 damage, and multiply its size by 300, and you have a boss.

What I would like to see is some sort of system like this. Instanced, to be sure, and with room for a single five man party of adventurers (Not including the particular DM), or a 20 man raid, or even a couple raids for a roleplayed invasion on a heavily defended fortress. Some place where people playing as DMs could have a Top-down view of the lands, be this land a blank slate, with commands to spawn buildings, friendly Defiants or enemy Fire Centaurs. A system where we truly can immerse ourselves in the world as we are actually creating it around us.

This game was highly popular while the roleplayer community on WC3:TFT was still alive and kicking. With the emergence of DotA, and its rise to power, it died swiftly. However, these were still some of the most fun games I'd ever played. We didn't have to rely on the world to provide our stories; once you've roleplayed in a forest hut a dozen times you wish for a change of scenery. But with this system, you can create the scenery as you need it. Create your own story. If you go out hunting, and want to kill Deep Ones, you don't have to have your level 50 causing a massacre in southern Freemarch. You could join this instanced area with your friends, and let a DM make a second Lakeside Outpost, but one more infested, with several still-living villagers trapped inside cages, to be sacrificed to Akylios.

A five man party of adventurers set out amongst a forest journey, and quickly save a farmer under attack by Aelfwar warriors. The farmer passes word of seeing smoke rising deeper in the forest, where the adventurers find a merchant caravan under attack by rampaging fire elementals! They team up with another party of adventurers to turn back the flames, when an escaped soldier, bloodied and battered, tells them of a massive death invasion. The ten man raid quickly rides to the rescue of the army, joining with another ten man raid and the army itself, to defend a town against death itself. With a system like this, giving one or more DMs near god-like control over a patch of land, able to spawn trees, raise hills, fill lakes, and attack the players with a massive horde of Timberwolves as they try to protect the village they took shelter in for the night...

With a system like this, we can create our own stories, and have them be more than just text on our screens.

We can live our own stories.

@ Akmea. Complicated to be sure, but I think worth taking a look into. I can see the devs maybe not wanting to give that much control to players, and I'm not even sure if they could do it with their current toolset (hence the 'more difficult to create' qualifier in your opening statement.) I know that SWG had something similar with their storyteller tokens and prop vendors, so I know it's possible to code. Just depends on time, resources and a big, fat IF they want to do it. I dig the idea tho! =)

Default Bio tab

I know this isn't exactly the sort of feedback you are looking for but I would love to see a bio tab implemented at some point. There are folks in the RP community that make valid arguments both for and against this feature and I can see both points but, at the end of the day, it is one thing I definitely miss from *other* games.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Hello to our RP community!

We are exploring what we might be able to build into Rift to enhance the experience of our role-playing community. One of the things that we'd like to do is give you some control over the ambience of the places where role-playing is already occurring so that the mood and environment can match your stories and activities. The Blunted Quill in Argent Glade is a good example of a place where lots of people come to role play, so being able to have the tavern assume the proper mood that you or your friends would like for a time would be something we think would help to set the stage. Make the tavern festive for when you finally kill Cindereon, or make it somber for when you're having a wake, or just be able to buy everyone a round of drinks for when you want to celebrate a successful conquest.

As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set? A dark somber room to hold your next cabal, or a romantic talk with a friend at the most beautiful overlook in the game. We have a bunch of ideas of things that we can do, but want to hear about what types of settings would help you character/group/guild have more fun putting the RP into the G.
    Ah so you all want to make Roleplay a fun and immersive environment? I applaud you TRION, you are the FIRST development team to actually show intrest in your roleplay community's needs. That said, I have many suggestions you can act upon to make roleplay an enjoyable experience:

1.) Get rid of "bad" names. You have already done this, but from reading yoru new name policy for RP servers I get the impression that you all believe a name like "EricCartman" would be fine as it isn't as blatant as "IpwnNoobs." This is where I disagree. As a roleplayer, a name must also fit the theme of the genre I am playing. A name like Eric Cartman belongs in another world called Southpark, not Telara. See?

2.) Add more emotes. Emotes are great, especially ones with sound. While you are at it, allow emotes to be executed between 2 players like MxO had done. So that if I target Joe and type /kiss, Joe would get a message that states "Xanadu wishes to kiss you, do you accept? YES/NO" Choosing yes would make my avatar and Joe's avatar kiss.

3.) I find it amazing we have all this furniture, yet I cannot sit properly in any of it. Allow chairs to be sat in properly.

4.) Every building in the world should be open and explorable. Or even better, have locked doors and allow rogues to pick locks.

5.) As dynamic as rifts are, the world is still static.

a.) Why is Sanctum choosing to remain so small? Should it not be trying to expand it's size? Lets see some scaffolds and workers expanding the city's boundaries.

b.) If I kill the merchant near the Defiant wardstone or a rift wipes out a camp of quest NPC's, those same NPC's will respwan. Why not have new NPC's respawn, with new names, new stats, but still remember your quest objectives? To achieve dynamic NPCs, they simply need to be categorized and identified by their positions, not their names. For example, if the blacksmith of Town A is referred to as “John,” then every time he is killed, he mysteriously respawns. If NPCs are tracked by their title, then given a random name and appearance, immersion is satisfied as well as all of the players that require that NPC for services or quests. If John the blacksmith of Town A is killed, the next NPC that spawns there is given a random name, appearance, race, and equipment, yet still performs all of the duties of the blacksmith. The person who last killed the blacksmith using his longbow might be surprised to find that the next blacksmith isn’t a helpless NPC without a ranged weapon to fight back with, but a much more powerful sharpshooter with a heavy crossbow, simply because that’s how the random stats were arranged!

c.) An obvious Day/Night cycle with changing weather patterns (every 3 game months) would be sweet. Seasonal changes should incorporate visual weather effects, then subtle changes to the environment, such as color changes in the trees, a light dusting of snow on the ground, and rotation of which animals spawn in each area.

d.) I should be able to burn a tree, kick down a door and have such things remain destroyed until fixed.

6.) Roleplay clothes for our appearance slots, and a way to turn off helm/shoulders per wardrobe slot.

7.) If we cant have nude bodies, can we at least dye our underwear?

8.) Body sliders and more hair choices. Full customization is a big factor in RP.

9.) Another way to really help immerse players in an online environment, and not just a massive game of dueling calculators, is by making as much of the mathematics of the game as invisible as possible. What’s the fun in knowing that your sword does 23.7 damage per second? Where is the risk (and thrill) in running into a battle where you can see every other character and monster’s level right over their head? If someone asks you how skilled of a safecracker you are, doesn’t it sound strange to reply “95 points?” By pushing all of the game mechanics behind the curtain, a game can trick players into role-playing.
    Revising the above examples: After a few hours of fighting, you start to notice that goblins you used to kill in five or six hits go down in one or two; you must be improving! You can barely contain your excitement when you charge into a battlefield filled with opponents of unknown abilities, with your peers marveling at your courage. Someone asks how talented of a safecracker you are, to which you casually reply, “Remember that heist two weeks ago when the king’s vault was broken into and his ring stolen? That was me.” You might think that you really enjoy being able to tweak your character 0.1 point of damage per second at a time, knowing exactly what level your opponents are, and tracking your skill progress in handy numerals, but these are the little pieces that stack up against immersion.

10.) If you ever read MMORPG forums, you’ll immediately notice people lamenting the loss of role-playing from current titles. Why don’t people ever gather in the tavern to share stories, setup dramatic confrontations between heroes and villains, or go on espionage missions to infiltrate enemy territory? To answer the last part first, espionage isn’t possible in any game where your character’s name is tacked above his head in bright, glowing letters that glare through underbrush, brighten every shadow, and appear handily on a list of players in the local area.

11.) Why do MMORPG players rarely experience dramatic role-playing encounters? That one’s simple: because they’re too busy grinding levels so they can keep up with everyone else. If you spend an hour developing a friendship with another online player, all of the buddies you already had are now two or three levels higher than you and hanging out in a zone you’re not strong enough to visit. Eve Online offered half of an answer to this dilemma with its time-based advancement, but what the system offers in terms of allowing people to experience the game however they like instead of having to focus on grinding, it almost completely negates by alienating potential players who feel slighted that all of their conscious efforts at certain skills improve them no faster than someone who set their skill training, then logged off and went to bed.

Other problems arise with such a system as well, like the fact that a new player in Eve Online will never, ever catch up to an existing player that’s still active. That mathematical impossibility is perhaps the game’s greatest turn-off outside of most people not enjoying the “you are a ship, not a person” visual gameplay style. All of these negative things to say about Eve Online, and the funny part is that I consider it by far the best MMORPG on the market today. That, in essence, clearly illustrates the core problem with the industry.

12.) Forget about character levels and classes entirely. Sorry all you MMORPG developers, but the best medicine usually tastes the worst. Some people will tell you that players like or even need levels to enjoy an RPG, but the fact is that it’s just plain laziness. It’s what’s been done; it’s what’s worked before. How can a player be told that their actions matter, that their uniqueness adds to the game world itself when they’re just another 10th level human warrior? Skill systems exist and they work, as evident in the handful of MMORPGs that have put them into practice. To everyone who might be unsure as to what skills are effective and what they need to compete, a game could simply offer templates, pre-determined arrangements of skills that get newbies off to a good start without inhibiting their choices in the future. These optional starter templates should entirely replace static classes.

13.) Role-play Experience - I can get XP from killing players, I can get XP from killing NPC's, but I get no XP from doing what I really enjoy most about an MMORPG? RP Events should be designed for awarding role-players experience and loot. PvPers and even your PvEers tell game developers, "give us a reason to do X," while role-players need no reason to role-play, insentives sure would not hurt in getting those who are shy about it to go and do it.

14.) The last idea I’ll remind everyone about is permanent death. As the black sheep of MMORPG ideas, the concept of permadeath has been around forever, but has never been correctly implemented for fear of tremendous backlash from the community. There will always be a separation of the fan base between those that agree and disagree, so instead of just picking one or the other, more developers need to figure out ways to allow everyone to co-exist. By that, I mean allow them choices, not restrictions. Just like real life, an MMORPG should be a game of give-and-take. In order to become the greatest hero, and thus earn the highest glory, you must be willing to undertake the most daunting challenges with the direst consequences.

Rift Chaser

People, if you want Trion to listen to you stick with the original itent of the thread. I applaud your efforts and can't wait to see them in game. One suggestion would be to have the ambiance alter particle effects. Say, for a romantic setting lower the size of fires, but if some one is telling a dramatic story the candles and fire in the fire place could be almost roaring un-naturally. I hope I can think of some other stuff, but right now I'm completely caught off guard by the idea that a team would actually ask us for these suggestions!

Here is an example of things that aren't helpful to the discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    4.) Every building in the world should be open and explorable. Or even better, have locked doors and allow rogues to pick locks.

d.) I should be able to burn a tree, kick down a door and have such things remain destroyed until fixed.

6.) Roleplay clothes for our appearance slots, and a way to turn off helm/shoulders per wardrobe slot. I just included this because I want you to know it already exists...

8.) Body sliders and more hair choices. Full customization is a big factor in RP.

9.) Another way to really help immerse players in an online environment, and not just a massive game of dueling calculators, is by making as much of the mathematics of the game as invisible as possible. What’s the fun in knowing that your sword does 23.7 damage per second? Where is the risk (and thrill) in running into a battle where you can see every other character and monster’s level right over their head? If someone asks you how skilled of a safecracker you are, doesn’t it sound strange to reply “95 points?” By pushing all of the game mechanics behind the curtain, a game can trick players into role-playing.
    Revising the above examples: After a few hours of fighting, you start to notice that goblins you used to kill in five or six hits go down in one or two; you must be improving! You can barely contain your excitement when you charge into a battlefield filled with opponents of unknown abilities, with your peers marveling at your courage. Someone asks how talented of a safecracker you are, to which you casually reply, “Remember that heist two weeks ago when the king’s vault was broken into and his ring stolen? That was me.” You might think that you really enjoy being able to tweak your character 0.1 point of damage per second at a time, knowing exactly what level your opponents are, and tracking your skill progress in handy numerals, but these are the little pieces that stack up against immersion.

11.) Why do MMORPG players rarely experience dramatic role-playing encounters? That one’s simple: because they’re too busy grinding levels so they can keep up with everyone else. If you spend an hour developing a friendship with another online player, all of the buddies you already had are now two or three levels higher than you and hanging out in a zone you’re not strong enough to visit. Eve Online offered half of an answer to this dilemma with its time-based advancement, but what the system offers in terms of allowing people to experience the game however they like instead of having to focus on grinding, it almost completely negates by alienating potential players who feel slighted that all of their conscious efforts at certain skills improve them no faster than someone who set their skill training, then logged off and went to bed.

Other problems arise with such a system as well, like the fact that a new player in Eve Online will never, ever catch up to an existing player that’s still active. That mathematical impossibility is perhaps the game’s greatest turn-off outside of most people not enjoying the “you are a ship, not a person” visual gameplay style. All of these negative things to say about Eve Online, and the funny part is that I consider it by far the best MMORPG on the market today. That, in essence, clearly illustrates the core problem with the industry.

12.) Forget about character levels and classes entirely. Sorry all you MMORPG developers, but the best medicine usually tastes the worst. Some people will tell you that players like or even need levels to enjoy an RPG, but the fact is that it’s just plain laziness. It’s what’s been done; it’s what’s worked before. How can a player be told that their actions matter, that their uniqueness adds to the game world itself when they’re just another 10th level human warrior? Skill systems exist and they work, as evident in the handful of MMORPGs that have put them into practice. To everyone who might be unsure as to what skills are effective and what they need to compete, a game could simply offer templates, pre-determined arrangements of skills that get newbies off to a good start without inhibiting their choices in the future. These optional starter templates should entirely replace static classes.

13.) Role-play Experience - I can get XP from killing players, I can get XP from killing NPC's, but I get no XP from doing what I really enjoy most about an MMORPG? RP Events should be designed for awarding role-players experience and loot. PvPers and even your PvEers tell game developers, "give us a reason to do X," while role-players need no reason to role-play, insentives sure would not hurt in getting those who are shy about it to go and do it.

14.) The last idea I’ll remind everyone about is permanent death. As the black sheep of MMORPG ideas, the concept of permadeath has been around forever, but has never been correctly implemented for fear of tremendous backlash from the community. There will always be a separation of the fan base between those that agree and disagree, so instead of just picking one or the other, more developers need to figure out ways to allow everyone to co-exist. By that, I mean allow them choices, not restrictions. Just like real life, an MMORPG should be a game of give-and-take. In order to become the greatest hero, and thus earn the highest glory, you must be willing to undertake the most daunting challenges with the direst consequences.
    Most of these ideas belong in a new MMO, not Rift. You are asking them to re-do their characters, slam their world with more persistent items to track, remove levels from a game based around levelling, etc. Do you realize how unrealistic these requests are? Keep it to things we might actually get if you want results, not stuff like, "pls re-write your game from the ground up".
    Last edited by FuseAQM; 05-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuseAQM View Post
    People, if you want Trion to listen to you stick with the original itent of the thread. I applaud your efforts and can't wait to see them in game. One suggestion would be to have the ambiance alter particle effects. Say, for a romantic setting lower the size of fires, but if some one is telling a dramatic story the candles and fire in the fire place could be almost roaring un-naturally. I hope I can think of some other stuff, but right now I'm completely caught off guard by the idea that a team would actually ask us for these suggestions!

Most of these ideas belong in a new MMO, not Rift. You are asking them to re-do their characters, slam their world with more persistent items to track, remove levels from a game based around levelling, etc. Do you realize how unrealistic these requests are? Keep it to things we might actually get if you want results, not stuff like, "pls re-write your game from the ground up".
    Hey now! I'm with Xanadu on the dyed underwear idea; nothing sets the ambience like FUNdies!

Default Only the COMMUNITY can make an RP atmosphere.

Trion CS has no intention of providing an RP community or atmosphere. Their decision to not enforce the special naming provisions they promised at the start to enforce on RP servers proves my point.

The only way RPers are going to have an RP server is for the community as a whole beats down those that come to YOUR server and talk trash in public. Who come there with DUDESPEAK names. You accept this, they will do everything they can to ruin YOUR game atmosphere. TRhey knew when they come to your servers they are going into a role-playing environment. It's designated and flagged as such. They CHOSE to come to your servers to disrupt YOUR game-play intentionally. It was NO MISTAKE folks, regardless of what Trion's CS wants to reason. They do it everywhere they get the chance. XXXJasonbourneXXX is acceptable naming on an RP server? Come on Trion, go to Blizzard and get a job.

So, how do WE as a community control OUR server? TELL the jerks as soon as you see it to leave YOUR server and have fun elsewhere. Put them on IGNORE as a COMMUNITY so they cannot enjoy game-play on YOUR server. They come there with disrespect, boot them off yourselves. When you see the jerks start to talk trash to RPers on YOUR RP servers' public channels, SAY something to them. TELL them in public this is YOUR server and THEY are welcome to leave if they don't like the COMMUNITY.

YOU have a "friend" come onto YOUR server with inappropriate names, talking trash and running down people in public channels they need to change or leave. You are not doing yourself or others in YOUR game environment any favors by allowing what Trion has already decided is some kind of excuse to not help you keep your gaming enjoyment a pleasant experience.

It's up to YOU. It's up to YOU to enforce RP game-play on YOUR server and in YOUR public game channels. And believe me, when the TRASH coming to YOUR server find out they cannot survive within the community as is, they will change or leave. Either way you as a community are better off.

Role-players UNITE and CONTROL YOUR community. Make a thread on each RP server's forums. List names of trash talking, disrespectful people. Put those people on /ignore as an entire community. It's YOUR game world, make of it what YOU want.
    Last edited by Loeb; 05-11-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuseAQM View Post

We are exploring what we might be able to build into Rift to enhance the experience of our role-playing community. One of the things that we'd like to do is give you some control over the ambience of the places where role-playing is already occurring so that the mood and environment can match your stories and activities. The Blunted Quill in Argent Glade is a good example of a place where lots of people come to role play, so being able to have the tavern assume the proper mood that you or your friends would like for a time would be something we think would help to set the stage. Make the tavern festive for when you finally kill Cindereon, or make it somber for when you're having a wake, or just be able to buy everyone a round of drinks for when you want to celebrate a successful conquest.

As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set? A dark somber room to hold your next cabal, or a romantic talk with a friend at the most beautiful overlook in the game. We have a bunch of ideas of things that we can do, but want to hear about what types of settings would help you character/group/guild have more fun putting the RP into the G.
    I stuck to topic quite nicely. You see, glamor and fluff is NOT roleplay. If TRION really wants to help roleplayers they have to start with building immersion. Once people are immersed, fluff and glamor can ensue.

I'm not the type of role-player that sits back and ingests whatever crap devs put in front of me. It's rather obvious that today's developers do not put any thought into considering role-players at all. RP to them is an afterthought. Want proof? They are asking you now what you want. If they cared about role-play this kind of stuff would have been in already.

I pose to development a question. Why did you even bother writing a story? A story would imply role-play at some level, yet you never implement it to the players. Weird, no?

You may think my ideas are unrealistic, however, You didn't ask for feedback, a dev did. You have no place to criticize my suggestions. Games get over-hauled and re-written all the time. If you had any "real" MMO experience, you would know this.

Ok folks calm down. We can make a separate ***** thread if you all want, but keep this one productive please. And I'm not saying I disagree with some of the things being said. Also, Fuse that just wasn't necessary.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    You may think my ideas are unrealistic, however, You didn't ask for feedback, a dev did. You have no place to criticize my suggestions. Games get over-hauled and re-written all the time. If you had any "real" MMO experience, you would know this.
    I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Read all of the OP again... (Also, my first MMO was Ultima... Haven't seen many without levels, but I've seen many get completely re-done post-launch and completely collapse... Not sure why you decided to bring personal flames into this.) Also, I have every right to criticize. It's a community. If one person suggests something an no one says anything otherwise how would the devs know if other players thought it was a good idea?

I was just trying to point out that they aren't asking for an NGE level over-haul, especially at this point, they were asking for some basic ideas of where we like to RP and what they could do to make those areas nicer for us. Asking them to remove levels from the game is a bit out there... I don't know how else to point that out. Again, I'm not the one who flamed the poster, I just used the content of their post as an example of what didn't contribute. I could have easily knee-jerk flamed them like they did me. lol Flame on.
    Last edited by FuseAQM; 05-11-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Soulwalker

Implement a guide program similiar to eq1/2 (preferably more similiar to eq1 before the guides were castrated) and force the guides TO be roleplayers. :-) I can think of five people that would join this game in a heartbeat if they could guide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast